Seagate STCA4000100 4TB backup Plus External HDD 149 FS @ tiger

I was able to buy one just before i posted it here.  Maybe they will come back in?

Or maybe they are just honoring a website mistake and the price is suppose to be higher and it will become available at that higher price.  If it does stay at this level I will get as many as I can currently afford and they will let me purchase.  Since I'm now willing to void waranties to aquire drives.  At least the next few weeks/months anyway.  Normally I would never consider voiding a waranty have had too many drives go belly up just after purchase.

Can one hook up this thing via USB to unraid and do a preclear on it for say three passes.

If it passes then you could just RIP it out of the external case and install it in the array.

Yes, but USB is slower, like sssslllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Can one hook up this thing via USB to unraid and do a preclear on it for say three passes.

If it passes then you could just RIP it out of the external case and install it in the array.

Yes, but USB is slower, like sssslllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Lol ur funny

(I forget the joke, but the punchline is:)

Maybe you're not doing it right.

That unit is usb3 (three!)

I've got a Hitachi 7K3000 2TB in a Rosewill METAS enclosure. I get 160+ MiB/s sustained transfer and 15.9msec access using usb3; exactly the same as with the drive directly connected to a sata2 port.

That unit is usb3 (three!)

I've got a Hitachi 7K3000 2TB in a Rosewill METAS enclosure. I get 160+ MiB/s sustained transfer and 15.9msec access using usb3; exactly the same as with the drive directly connected to a sata2 port.

Cool!  What motherboard with usb 3 are you successfully using with unraid please?

Cool!  What motherboard with usb 3 are you successfully using with unraid please?

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead; that report was unrelated to unRAID (full disclosure: I don't even use unRAID :)).

[ But it was on Linux (2.6.37), using a Highpoint RocketU 1022a controller (PCIe x1 v2.0; uses ASM1042 chip) in a HP N40L. ]