Please review potential new build

Hi all,

well with my current server seemingly having problems and being very old, the time has arrived to upgrade to some newer technology.  To be clear cost is key to me (rather than performance) as the server will purely be used at home for very little other than storage and playback of bluray movies.  Low power is also preferred.

My current server has 14 drives, 10x sata and 4 IDE drives.  This is running on an old motherboard using PCI sata cards.

The only thing I am salvaging from this setup is the case and drives (excluding the IDE ones).

Proposed setup

Intel Celeron G440 1.60GHz Single Core Processor (35w)

4GB Corsair Desktop 1333MHz DDR3 Memory Kit

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 - 80 Plus Bronze Certified 650 Watt High Performance Power Supply

ASRock P67 Extreme6 Socket 1155 Motherboard (10 sata ports)

I'm then going to need a 4 port pcie card i guess to expand to cover the IDS drives I'm losing.  Haven't found one yet.

NOTE I'm in the UK.

OK have bitten the bullet and ordered this hardware, along with a IBM Br10i controller.

Fingers crossed everything works OK with unraid!

keep in mind the br10i is limited to 2tb drives when making future upgrades/drive purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK have bitten the bullet and ordered this hardware, along with a IBM Br10i controller.

Fingers crossed everything works OK with unraid!

keep in mind the br10i is limited to 2tb drives when making future upgrades/drive purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks John, yep I'd read that.  Hopefully with 10 ports on my mobo, I should be able to fit any new drives to that instead of the Br10i  :)

Just curious as to why you spent so much on the motherboard as opposed to getting a motherboard with 4 to 6 ports and then getting a IBM M1015 controller card. Seems like you were spending more money then you had to and by getting the card you did over the M1015 you needlessly limited yourself.

Its a good question which also had me undecided for a while too.

I was struggling to find a mobo which also had PCIe x8 for the IBM card at a reasonable price.  It turned out to be only £30 difference between the cheapest other board i could find that had a x8 slot, so for that difference it seemed to make sense to have the extra sata slots.

Also, I needed 12 sata ports to cover the drives i already have, so buying a mobo with 6 + 8 on the M1015 that only left 2 slots spare for future upgrades.

I got the BR10i cheap (half the price of the supermicro and M1015) too, so I was trying to factor all of this in to the decision!