Intel B75 Motherboard Compatibility

I'm looking to build my first unRAID server, mainly to hold media files for xbmc. I am in Australia so the motherboard selection is different/limited to most of the recommendations I see here on the forum.

I was looking at the following:

ASRock B75M Motherboard - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_711_1183&products_id=20082

Socket 1155, Intel B75 Chipset, 2x DDR3,

3x SATA3 6 Gbps, 5x SATA2 3 Gbps

4x USB 3.0, 1x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot,

Gigabit ethernet - Realtek RTL8111E

mATX form factor.

or

ASUS P8B75-M Motherboard - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_711_1183&products_id=2008

Socket 1155, Intel B75 Chipset, 4x DDR3,

1x SATA 6 Gbps, 5x SATA 3 Gbps

4x USB 3.0, 1x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot,

Gigabit ethernet - Realtek 8111F-VB-CG

mATX form factor.

I am planning on at least 1x3 TB drive for parity, so am thinking of using the beta releases. I will initially only put 3-4 data drives in it, and long term 6-8 in total. I am looking at a Fractal Design Define R3 case.

I am concerned about the compatibility of the Intel B75 chipset with unRAID. I am looking for a cheap motherboard and CPU set and any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Glen

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just updated from my old socket 757 (asus p5n32) with celeron cpu  430. The old system was idle slurping around 93 watts.  With all disks (4x) it required around 120 watts.  using a Corsair 430 builder power supply

This was a reason to look for some change.

I have bought the Asrock B75 pro 3 mhttp://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B75%20Pro3-M/, combined with a Intel Celeron G530 and 4 gig of ddr3 ram.  It's quitte a nice board 8x sata 2x pci 2x pci-e 2.0. micro atx

I have switched my board plugged everything back in and the parity check started. After the parity check wich took 24000 sec. nearly exactly the same time as with the previous setup. everthing is running like a charm bootup time changed from 2:30 min to 40 sec. Also wake on lan works like a charm. The new system uses about 30 watts idle with all 4 disks spun down and about 50 watts with disk spun up.

Its running great and i haven't had any problems with this setup

Hi msx!

I'm thinking about buying the same mobo for my next upgrade, so if you don't mind I would like to ask you few questions:

- does ASMedia ASM1061 SATA ports (I think those are the grey ones) work in unRAID without problems?

- what unRAID version do you have - 4.7 or one of the 5.0 betas/RCs?

- do you have a bigger than 2TB HDD in your system?

Hello Adrianz,

I have currently switched my cache drive to the asmedia controller port. It get instantly reconised and is working without a problem. Keep in in mind that i haven't tested this thorough .

I am running the latest RC6, because i read that there have been some issues with the realtek 8111e wich this board features with the older version. I haven't noticed any problems as of yet. I currenty am not running 3 TB drives so i can't comment on that. But the board features a UEFI system so i bet that it features 2 TB + drives.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...