Antect 1200 Owners help please

drecain

This is my first build Im about to do, ive just about finished ripping my movies and Ive purchased my case the Antect 1200. I know i eventually want to fill it with 20 drives with the 4 icy dock cages. My question is what do i do in the meantime because im only going to start off with 3 drives which will go in the fist cage. Do i install the other three cages when i build it or wait because that will leave the front of the case open because i dont have drives yet to fill those cages? hope my question makes sense. Ive never built a computer before so bare with me please.

I have two Antec 1200s and when I assembled mine I left the default three drive cages installed but unplugged the fans. If your like me and you buy the icy cages when you need them then I would keep the case at its default and swap them out as you fill them. But that's just me. Be aware I live in a cooler climate so unplugging some of the front fans didn't cause the temp to rise. I did it to keep down on noise and dust.

Well I don't think the noise is too bad. I had the case in my bedroom along with my Corsair 800D gaming rig. It was louder than the 800D but not by too much. Also I turned all the fans down using the front panel knobs. After I moved it to my living room I never hear it. Though I did move my system into a Norco 4020 case and I still don't even mind that. It's louder but I just turn up the stereo lol.

The drive cages are not really difficult to change, just time consuming. If you have 3 hard drives in the stock cages, it can take a while to swap them over. The drive cage has 4 thumb screws per side. Plus four screws hold in each hard drive. I used the default cages in my Antec which gave me 12 HDD spots until I needed more room. Then I just started at the top and swapped the first cage for the 5-in-3 cages. Hope this helps.

Alex, cpshoe thank you guys very much for the helpful responses!!!

B1G man you really came through with that suggestion! I think I can sacrifice 4 drives for the convenience and price of getting the cages you suggested!! Only pain I think will be is that there aren't front load correct?