unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc5 Available

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought NFS was fixed some people reported. What user share problem?

Please see the first post from Limetech in this thread :

Here's the current state of 5.0 along with what still needs to be done for "final" release.  First some known issues:

- NFS stale file handles when accessing user shares.  This is not fixed in -rc5, but finally I know what the problem is.  Until this is solved I recommend not using NFS to access user shares.  I'll add more info about this in a sticky...

and thread with further background :

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=20301.0

I thought NFS was fixed some people reported. What user share problem?

Some problem cases have been fixed in RC5, but there is still a problem in other cases (I found that disabling the cache drive resolved these).

There is also a separate issue outstanding , which is to be fixed in the next release - to do with duplicate files occurring on user shares.

I upgraded my backup system from 5.0 Beta 10 to 5.0 RC5 and everything is working great.  Parity check speeds are exactly what they were in Beta 10.

The only issue I noticed is in the "upgrade notes" - They state the array should not start automatically and to verify every drives partition type; however the array did start automatically so I did not have the chance to check the partition type before starting the array.

I upgraded my backup system from 5.0 Beta 10 to 5.0 RC5 and everything is working great.  Parity check speeds are exactly what they were in Beta 10.

The only issue I noticed is in the "upgrade notes" - They state the array should not start automatically and to verify every drives partition type; however the array did start automatically so I did not have the chance to check the partition type before starting the array.

You need to set enable auto start to No in the disk settings.

Regarding the SAS2LP-MV8 support. I recently switched motherboards from a Supermicro X9SCL+-F to a X9SCM-F which resolved the problems with my three cards.

There is a new Linux driver available at ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SAS/Marvell/MV8/SAS2/Driver/Linux/4.0.0.1534/.

Tom: are you planning to integrate that into the next release? Is is resolving the problems you are still experiencing with those cards?

Fixed that in -rc6, thanks for pointing that out.

There is also a separate issue outstanding , which is to be fixed in the next release - to do with duplicate files occurring on user shares.

+1

this happens to me quite a bit not sure why ?

Read here.

That issue is probably not what accounts for most "duplicates".  Usually duplicates are caused by accessing storage both via disk shares and user shares.  For example, suppose you have:

disk1/Movies

disk2/Movies

and the corresponding user share:

Movies

If you navigate to disk1/Movies and cause a file to get created there (say, .ds_store), and also navigate to disk2/Movies, and the same file name gets created, well now there's a duplicate reported when you navigate to Movies.

Regarding the SAS2LP-MV8 support. I recently switched motherboards from a Supermicro X9SCL+-F to a X9SCM-F which resolved the problems with my three cards.

There is a new Linux driver available at ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SAS/Marvell/MV8/SAS2/Driver/Linux/4.0.0.1534/.

Tom: are you planning to integrate that into the next release? Is is resolving the problems you are still experiencing with those cards?

Very very reluctant to incorporate drivers not supplied by the linux kernel release because typically they lock us into only the set of kernels they happen to compile with.  This has been the case for example, with Realtek r8168 driver vs. kernel-supplied r8169 driver.  But pretty sure I'll be staying on 3.0.x kernel for a while, so I'll look at what those packages are...

+1

this happens to me quite a bit not sure why ?

Read here.

That issue is probably not what accounts for most "duplicates".  Usually duplicates are caused by accessing storage both via disk shares and user shares.  For example, suppose you have:

disk1/Movies

disk2/Movies

and the corresponding user share:

Movies

If you navigate to disk1/Movies and cause a file to get created there (say, .ds_store), and also navigate to disk2/Movies, and the same file name gets created, well now there's a duplicate reported when you navigate to Movies.

if i say for definite my system is ONLY accessed via user shares?

just asking ?

just asking ?

I would say that it's likely that you have an application accessing files on your user shares which is doing the same as on my system - creating a file, then renaming it to the same name as an existing file.

just asking ?

I would say that it's likely that you have an application accessing files on your user shares which is doing the same as on my system - creating a file, then renaming it to the same name as an existing file.

Yes that's possible.  I can probably verify if you want to send your system log that shows the 'duplicate' file names to: [email protected]

This bug is fixed in -rc6.

Has anyone had to replace a drive yet with version 5?  Is the process the same as before, or has it changed?

In short, this is what I've done in the past;

-run a parity check

-power down and replace drive

-power up and confirm unraid can see the new drive

-Some people run a pre-clear process, but I've never done that and don't even know how...  If we should do this step, I hope this is a button for this and no command line junk is needed.

-Rebuild the drive

-When all done, I run another parity check

-done.

Thanks

Nope, no pre-clear...yea, I know that means I'm foolish ;).

I ran those steps, but before the final parity check I also added a new 2TB drive to the array and expanded it.  That add is on-going...but I did check the replaced drive before adding the new one and the data rebuilt properly.