unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc5 Available

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so the preclear process is still Command line, no button option appear when a new drive is detected?

Preclearing was never part of unRAID, it's an addon. I could see SimpleFeatures adding the preclear addon into its UI, like it did with cache_dirs, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Hopefully unRAID will support this in the future without addons.

so the preclear process is still Command line, no button option appear when a new drive is detected?

Preclearing was never part of unRAID, it's an addon. I could see SimpleFeatures adding the preclear addon into its UI, like it did with cache_dirs, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Hopefully unRAID will support this in the future without addons.

Would be very useful!

so there is currently no plugin for PreClear for version 5?  if true, then we cannot peform a preclear in version 5.  Like I had said, I have never done it, took my chances on previous drive swaps.  I just thought if it were easy, I'd do it for my next drive swap.

so there is currently no plugin for PreClear for version 5?  if true, then we cannot peform a preclear in version 5.  Like I had said, I have never done it, took my chances on previous drive swaps.  I just thought if it were easy, I'd do it for my next drive swap.

It is very easy, just not available on a GUI interface.  It works equally well on any version of unRAID, including the newest "rc" versions. 

The link to download the script is at the bottom of this post:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2817.0

it has never been a "plug-in" available for use from the GUI.  (perhaps one will be written at some point in the future, but none are in progress at this time.  I guess I should write one...)

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered a new issue today with email notify.  I'll post this in that forum, but wanted to see if anyone else has this issue.  The email notify works fine, sends emails every hour by default.  If you are running a Parity check, it no longer sends email notifications for Partiy Sync updates (progress).  You continue to receive the normal "I'm OK" emails even during a parity check.

Another issue with this same plugin is if you change the amount of time in between email notifications, for example change it so it only emails you every 4 hours instead of every hour, the plugin dies.  It stops sending emails altogether and until you reboot the server.  Stopping and starting the services doesn't help.

On a separate topic, I also have a freezing issue on boot up when loading the controller drivers.  I posted that questiopn in the rc6 thread...

Ok, I've had a boot issue evey since I left 4.7 Final.  Sometimes my system will freeze on the loading of the bzroot file, several dots go across the screen and then it will show this screen and freeze, see attached screenshot, sorry it's not more clear.

Can anyone tell me what is causing this to stop?  I have to hold the power button down to kill it and then try again.  Most of the time, it will boot normal.

boot_error_sml.jpg.e67e0e6cc3f4f68360d8f9c5dc3934cb.jpg

No, I didn't check any of that because I've had my server up and running since 2009 without this issue.  It only came into play when I went to the v5.

I need Joe or someone to tell me where this is failing based on the screenshot.  I'm hoping they will know where in the bzroot loading it stopped.

I would think that if I had any issues with the items you listed, I would see a lot more troubles.  As mentioned, when my server does boot, it works just fine.

No, I didn't check any of that because I've had my server up and running since 2009 without this issue.  It only came into play when I went to the v5.

I need Joe or someone to tell me where this is failing based on the screenshot.  I'm hoping they will know where in the bzroot loading it stopped.

I would think that if I had any issues with the items you listed, I would see a lot more troubles.  As mentioned, when my server does boot, it works just fine.

you had been given correct advice.  It could easily be a memory chip that is failing, or a flash drive, or a power supply.

I'd start with a memory test,overnight if possible, or at least several full cycles.  Newer version of the unRAID kernel use different amounts of memory.  In the same way, can't hurt to check the flash drive in windows using checkdisk.

Ok, I'll do all of that and report back.

By the way, is there a APC UPS plugin that works with v5?  I can't seem find it re Searching.  Everything I find is for unmenu, 4.x.

I just got a new ups today APC NS 600.  I need to get that configured to auto shutdown when we lose power.

Thanks!

Ok, I had to replace my parity drive today, v5 rc5.  I did a parity check and zero errors.  Powered down, swapped the drives, power up.  The array was not started and showed a Red dot next to the missing drive it was looking for, as expected.  I selected the new drive as the Parity drive (drop down list). At the bottom next to where it says the array is STOPPED, it says Upgrading Parity...

The syslog is jamming by so it must be doing something.  hd led light is flashing regularly too.  My question is, should I Start the Aray and Start the Partiy Sync, or wait until the Upgrading Parity task is complete?

Thanks!

Ok, I had to replace my parity drive today, v5 rc5.  I did a parity check and zero errors.  Powered down, swapped the drives, power up.  The array was not started and showed a Red dot next to the missing drive it was looking for, as expected.  I selected the new drive as the Parity drive (drop down list). At the bottom next to where it says the array is STOPPED, it says Upgrading Parity...

The syslog is jamming by so it must be doing something.  hd led light is flashing regularly too.  My question is, should I Start the Aray and Start the Partiy Sync, or wait until the Upgrading Parity task is complete?

Thanks!

post a syslog.

As far as I know, it has NOT yet started upgrading parity if the array is not started.  It is waiting for you.

Joe L.