Drive showing as MBR: unaligned

Hi,

One of my drives (disk 1) is showing as MBR: unaligned its a new 2TB WDEARX.In SF it's showing as green and i can browse all the data on it.

I only noticed after installing Rc5 and checking Partition format as per instructions.It was pre cleared and formatted with unraid as per instructions and showed no errors.

Should i be concerned ? and is there a way to fix this should it be a problem ?

Also, when i roll back to Rc4 it's the same.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Hi, new to the forum and havent run unRAID for a long time either.

Recently i bought 2 external wd drives and wanted to try unRAID. I removed the drives from the cases and installed unRAID 4.7 (free version) on a spare computer.

Im using the 2 drives as data drives and no parity atm. The drives are WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0.

Now i just bought 2 pro keys and want to begin adding drives. Just upgraded to 5.0-rc8a from 4.7 and did some reading and saw that both my drives are MBR: unaligned.  :(.

What i understand from THIS thread and this: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=22271.0 is that i do not need to empty the drives, run preclear, and change to MBR-4k option and the fill them up? I Really want to be sure before i starting to add more drives

But what i should do is to change the MBR option to 4k so the drives im going to add i getting the 4k option?

The two drives are 100% full now and if i can, i dont want to get them empty and redo it all.

Should i add 4tb more, move all stuff directly from disk1 and disk2 to disk3 and disk4 (when they are added) and make drive 1 and 2 MBR 4k

Also i didnt preclear the 2 drives =(

The reason that i did the sloppy job is that i just want to try unraid quickly and then redo all if i liked it. Just copyed some stuff from my Netgear server that i dont like and was full. But then i put more and more new stuff on the unRAID server =/

I store 4tb in a folder named "temp" in the server so i also have some sorting to do =P

Long story short, do i need to redo the 2 drives or is it just to change the setting to 4k and begin to add drives?

And yes im going to add a parity drive asap =)

English isnt my native language, hope you understand =)

/Magnus

Unless the drives are EARS drives, leave them alone.  They'll be fine. 

If they are EARS drives, leave them alone if they are full of data, they'll be fine too. 

There is no need for you to do anything now, and the risk of you screwing up and losing your data is not worth any perceived improvement in performance.

Set the option in the settings to 4k-aligned and all future drives should be partitioned to start on sector 64.  That is all you need to do. 

Joe L.