Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Unraid

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Random System Crashes / Unclean Shutdowns (2026)

Featured Replies

Hello everyone,

For quite some time I have encountered random shutdowns, unclean Shutdowns and crashes. Although I never put 1 and 1 together, in the early hours this morning it happened again and I do not have a solution to it or a cause for why it is happening. Attached is the text I was posting in a different thread but after feedback a new thread seemed to be the way to go. Diagnostics are attached.

This morning I was wondering why my Server wasn’t showing up within my finder on mac, since is happens from time to time that finder throws it out, I wasn’t really concerned with it - After 3 Failed reconnects I was and If it wasn’t for them, after Plex hasn‘t shown any Libraries after starting it - I was.

Quick trip to the GUI and I knew what happened: System Crashed, out of the Blue at roughly 12pm last night, right around midnight. I don’t know what happened or why it happened in the first place.

I’ve attached the diagnostics but I’d really appreciate any tips or solutions to or for fixing it. Sick of these unclean Shutdowns for months now

Cheers and Thanks in Advance

Alex

server-diagnostics-20260930-1345.zip

Edited by deltaexray

  • Community Expert

The diagnostics are from after the reboot, so they can't show what happened before the crash. The log starts at 04:18, so the server rebooted on its own sometime after the problem, unless someone restarted it manually. The current boot looks clean: no hardware (MCE/ECC) errors are logged, and the board didn't report any error from the previous boot.

To find the cause, we need a log from the next crash:

1. Go to Settings → Syslog Server and enable Mirror syslog to flash, then Apply. The log will survive a crash or reboot. After the next event, post new diagnostics together with the saved syslog (/boot/logs/syslog-previous or similar).

2. Your board has IPMI, so check the BMC System Event Log for entries between about midnight and 04:20 last night. Use the IPMI plugin's Event log page or the BMC web interface. Look for power loss or PSU events, watchdog resets, memory or ECC errors, or temperature events, and post a screenshot of anything from that window.

3. Tell us:

- When you find the server after one of these events, is it already rebooted (like today), powered off, or frozen and not responding (monitor/IPMI console)?

- Is the server on a UPS?

- Did the crashes start after a specific change, such as an Unraid update, a BIOS update, new hardware, or new VMs/containers? Or have they happened for as long as you can remember?

With the persistent syslog and the BMC event log, we should be able to tell whether this is hardware, power, or software.

  • Author
5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

The diagnostics are from after the reboot, so they can't show what happened before the crash. The log starts at 04:18, so the server rebooted on its own sometime after the problem, unless someone restarted it manually. The current boot looks clean: no hardware (MCE/ECC) errors are logged, and the board didn't report any error from the previous boot.

To find the cause, we need a log from the next crash:

1. Go to Settings → Syslog Server and enable Mirror syslog to flash, then Apply. The log will survive a crash or reboot. After the next event, post new diagnostics together with the saved syslog (/boot/logs/syslog-previous or similar).

2. Your board has IPMI, so check the BMC System Event Log for entries between about midnight and 04:20 last night. Use the IPMI plugin's Event log page or the BMC web interface. Look for power loss or PSU events, watchdog resets, memory or ECC errors, or temperature events, and post a screenshot of anything from that window.

3. Tell us:

- When you find the server after one of these events, is it already rebooted (like today), powered off, or frozen and not responding (monitor/IPMI console)?

- Is the server on a UPS?

- Did the crashes start after a specific change, such as an Unraid update, a BIOS update, new hardware, or new VMs/containers? Or have they happened for as long as you can remember?

With the persistent syslog and the BMC event log, we should be able to tell whether this is hardware, power, or software.


Hello,

Thanks for your input, I just wanna say: I'm a bit under the weather and quite sick for a few days now, It might be the reason I haven't thought of any these tips beforehand - My Apologies.

Anyway, back to what you've said.

Yeah I noticed that too, which led me to kind of a wild goose chase to be honest since after checking the IPMI, btw thank you for that tip!, I was as clueless as before since it wasn't showing any signs of answers to figure out what has happened to it.
But after some time I figured out what must have happened to it: Yesterday and the days before that, it ran the Loudness Data Analysis from Plex which it does from time - So nothing knew there. Well the fans picked up quite the RPM after some time, given I had 27° in the room it wasn't something to be concerned about but it kept running like that beyond 12PM, the Schedule for these Plex Operations is 11AM to 11PM, so it should've been off by that time but it wasn't. I can only imagine that it kept running like I had described before well beyond 3AM and after that, It crashed for some reason - The exact reason? I have no idea. Temperature? Wattage? Power? Idk.

1. Syslog Server has now been turned on, after Parity Check finishes I'll reboot and figure out why it's not giving me the option to select the folder to store these logs.
2. Already answered this kind of, the IPMI is not showing anything useful, just the Turn On time that was around 3AM ish.
3. Today it has been completely rebooted and when navigating to the IP to login into the GUI, I was presented with the Main Screen to select which drives go where - So basically the screen where you input the encryption phase / file. The Drives are always in the right spot, that has never changed but it tells me the system has crashed since there is nothing which would explain that behavior.
4. Server is on a UPS which is sufficient to let it power off gently and without any unclean shutdowns.
5. Couple Years ago, like in the 6.X era these things almost never happened, I'd go as far as to say these only started to happen in the 7.2/3 era. But like this? It's the first time. Like the system got stuck a couple of times over the years and needed a full hard reboot but that was mostly because I was dumb. A complete system crash, like this, never happened. Why do I know this? Because this message: image.pngHas never appeared before. This is the first time. Before you ask: Parity Check Tuning is installed but it hasn't been turned on nor is it running scheduled Checks.

So yeah that's all. I'll add new information when I have 'em.

Cheers and Thank you in advance!
Alex

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.