Expected disk to disk copy speeds / crashing using cp

Hi All,

I'm a new unraid user, my setup:

unRAID Version: 5.0-rc5

HP proliant N40L /4gb ram with the bay firmware

WD20EADS parity

WDC_WD20EARX

WDC_WD20EARX

I also have another couple of drives in the server, a 1 gig seagate and a 0.5gig samsung, both mounted with the 3g-ntfs.

I'm seeing what I think are really slow copy speeds.

I never get any faster than 18-20MB/sec with midnight commander, regardless of what disk I copy to/from.

I.E. same for in raid to in raid or in to out or out to out.

When I had the ntfs drives in usb 2.x enclosures on a W7 machine I used to get around 30+

Running a parity check shows around 91-99MB/sec

Is this normal? Is it the ntfs "driver" being slow?

Also just tried using the cp command, copying from in raid to out raid. This gave 30+ but crashed the telnet and web sessions. Only a reboot at the machine fixed it. I tried again and the same happened...

How do I stop the log being cleared when rebooting?

UnRAID runs entirely in RAM, so the syslog is lost each boot.  Copy it to a safe location such as the flash drive before you reboot or shutdown.  If you load the Powerdown addon, it ties the Ctl-Alt-Del key combo to a system shutdown, with a preceding save of the syslog to a logs folder on the flash drive.  (Power Down (an UnRAID Add On))

No ideas why you are seeing such slow speeds.  And the cp command should not be crashing your server.  Your 3 drive array must be set up well, because that is a fast parity check speed.  Perhaps there are issues with the non-array disks?  The syslog may help indicate any issues with them.  Try to capture it either on shutdown, or at least after attempting a failing or slow copy.