Does CyberPower UPS play nice with unRAID yet?

Superorb

The power has been on/off all day today and I want to protect my server and main PC if this happens again. Both PC's use active PFC so I'll be needing a pure sine wave UPS. Cyberpower is a lot cheaper than the APC units that are out of my budget. Will unraid realize that the power is out and automatically shut itself down with the proper scripts installed?

The power has been on/off all day today and I want to protect my server and main PC if this happens again. Both PC's use active PFC so I'll be needing a pure sine wave UPS. Cyberpower is a lot cheaper than the APC units that are out of my budget. Will unraid realize that the power is out and automatically shut itself down with the proper scripts installed?

I can't speak to every model of Cyberpower -- but mine (CP 1350C)  had both USB and Serial ports -- and I hooked up a USB cable, and it worked just great.

Unraid out of the box won't "auto-shutdown" --as you note, you'll have to install the various UPS power-down stuff via Unmenu.

Then, the UnMenu "System Devices" / "UPS Device" showed the below -- and of course, I pulled the plug and waited the 5 minutes {configurable} and it shut down gracefully.

UPS Status
(from /sbin/apcaccess status)
APC      : 001,033,0794
DATE     : Fri Jul 06 07:02:45 EDT 2012
HOSTNAME : unraid
RELEASE  : 3.14.3
VERSION  : 3.14.3 (20 January 2008) slackware
UPSNAME  : unraid
CABLE    : USB Cable
MODEL    : CP 1350C
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: Wed Jul 04 11:46:15 EDT 2012
STATUS   : ONLINE 
LINEV    : 120.0 Volts
LOADPCT  :  22.0 Percent Load Capacity
BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent
TIMELEFT :  26.2 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 10 Percent
MINTIMEL : 5 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 300 Seconds
OUTPUTV  : 120.0 Volts
DWAKE    : 000 Seconds
LOTRANS  : 090.0 Volts
HITRANS  : 140.0 Volts
ALARMDEL : Always
NUMXFERS : 0
TONBATT  : 0 seconds
CUMONBATT: 0 seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
SELFTEST : OK
STATFLAG : 0x07000008 Status Flag
SERIALNO : <redacted>.<redacted>
NOMINV   : 120 Volts
NOMPOWER : 810 Watts
APCMODEL : CP 1350C
END APC  : Fri Jul 06 07:02:51 EDT 2012

I can't speak to every model of Cyberpower -- but mine (CP 1350C)  had both USB and Serial ports -- and I hooked up a USB cable, and it worked just great.

Unraid out of the box won't "auto-shutdown" --as you note, you'll have to install the various UPS power-down stuff via Unmenu.

Then, the UnMenu "System Devices" / "UPS Device" showed the below -- and of course, I pulled the plug and waited the 5 minutes {configurable} and it shut down gracefully.

Thanks for that. The back of yours looks just like the back of the ones I'm looking at except they have an additional outlet on the back for an even number on each side.

Superorb,

I would love to know which UPS you went with, and how it went with the install. I too just bought a Cyberpower UPS and am very much an unraid/linux newb. Wondering which packages you had to install, and how easy it went. If anyone knows of a guide for this and can link me to it, it would be greatly appreciated. I ordered the CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD today and expect it sometime next week. If anyone has any advice on the install of this UPS, please share.

Thanks!

Superorb,

I would love to know which UPS you went with, and how it went with the install. I too just bought a Cyberpower UPS and am very much an unraid/linux newb. Wondering which packages you had to install, and how easy it went. If anyone knows of a guide for this and can link me to it, it would be greatly appreciated. I ordered the CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD today and expect it sometime next week. If anyone has any advice on the install of this UPS, please share.

Thanks!

I was looking at the CP1500PFCLCD for my gear. I'm watching the prices right now, waiting for them to come down before I bite the bullet. Also the 810W version is a possibility as well. The batteries for the 900W version are cheaper and easier to find compared to the 810W ones are.

I was looking at the CP1500PFCLCD for my gear. I'm watching the prices right now, waiting for them to come down before I bite the bullet. Also the 810W version is a possibility as well. The batteries for the 900W version are cheaper and easier to find compared to the 810W ones are.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will let you know how it goes with mine. I am getting it from amazon, and the expected ship date is Tuesday.

Mine works fine:

APC UPS Status

APC	001,036,0899
DATE	2012-07-13 20:14:10 -0400
HOSTNAME	Storage
VERSION	3.14.10 (13 September 2011) slackware
UPSNAME	Storage
CABLE	USB Cable
DRIVER	USB UPS Driver
UPSMODE	Stand Alone
STARTTIME	2012-07-11 09:30:11 -0400
MODEL	Back-UPS BX1500G
STATUS	ONLINE
LINEV	123.0 Volts
LOADPCT	14.0 Percent Load Capacity
BCHARGE	100.0 Percent
TIMELEFT	46.4 Minutes
MBATTCHG	10 Percent
MINTIMEL	10 Minutes
MAXTIME	300 Seconds
SENSE	Medium
LOTRANS	088.0 Volts
HITRANS	139.0 Volts
ALARMDEL	30 seconds
BATTV	27.2 Volts
LASTXFER	Low line voltage
NUMXFERS	0
TONBATT	0 seconds
CUMONBATT	0 seconds
XOFFBATT	N/A
SELFTEST	NO
STATFLAG	0x07000008 Status Flag
SERIALNO	###########
BATTDATE	2011-06-10
NOMINV	120 Volts
NOMBATTV	24.0 Volts
NOMPOWER	865 Watts
FIRMWARE	866.L5 .D USB FW:L5
END APC	2012-07-13 20:14:13 -0400

Mine arrived yesterday. I haven't had a chance to even unbox it yet. House is getting painted this week and have guests over as well. Might be a few more days. However, I did attempt to install the 2 packages (APCUPS/Clean Powerdown) via unmenu and both seemed to have failed. Anyone know if there are newer versions or alternatives? I am running the current release not the RC's that are out there. Seems each time I attempt to install a package via unmenu I get an error about the package not being created by package manager and/or the file ended unexpectedly and might be corrupt. Any advice on this?

Thanks!

Mine arrived yesterday. I haven't had a chance to even unbox it yet. House is getting painted this week and have guests over as well. Might be a few more days. However, I did attempt to install the 2 packages (APCUPS/Clean Powerdown) via unmenu and both seemed to have failed. Anyone know if there are newer versions or alternatives? I am running the current release not the RC's that are out there. Seems each time I attempt to install a package via unmenu I get an error about the package not being created by package manager and/or the file ended unexpectedly and might be corrupt. Any advice on this?

Thanks!

I'm using 4.7 and was able to download, install, and mark for reinstallation at reboot without errors.

Thanks!

Just upgrade to 5. It is more than stable at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Just setup my new Cyberpower 1500VA 900w line interactive Sine wave UPS and it looks like it's playing nice with unRAID. Anyone have any suggested settings?

UPS Status

(from /sbin/apcaccess status)

APC      : 001,033,0802

DATE    : Fri Jul 27 17:52:39 MDT 2012

HOSTNAME : unRAID

RELEASE  : 3.14.3

VERSION  : 3.14.3 (20 January 2008) slackware

UPSNAME  : unRAID

CABLE    : USB Cable

MODEL    : CP1500PFCLCD

UPSMODE  : Stand Alone

STARTTIME: Fri Jul 27 17:50:10 MDT 2012

STATUS  : ONLINE

LINEV    : 118.0 Volts

LOADPCT  :  22.0 Percent Load Capacity

BCHARGE  : 087.0 Percent

TIMELEFT :  23.6 Minutes

MBATTCHG : 40 Percent

MINTIMEL : 5 Minutes

MAXTIME  : 300 Seconds

OUTPUTV  : 118.0 Volts

DWAKE    : -01 Seconds

LOTRANS  : 078.0 Volts

HITRANS  : 142.0 Volts

ALARMDEL : Always

NUMXFERS : 0

TONBATT  : 0 seconds

CUMONBATT: 0 seconds

XOFFBATT : N/A

SELFTEST : OK

STATFLAG : 0x07000008 Status Flag

SERIALNO : CRCA102-3I1

NOMINV  : 120 Volts

NOMPOWER : 900 Watts

APCMODEL : CP1500PFCLCD

END APC  : Fri Jul 27 17:52:45 MDT 2012

So after quit a bit of delay and some fussing around with unmenu and the APCUPSD package, I finally got all this up and running last night. It does work with the cyberpower UPS just fine. The only thing I haven't done is pull the cord and watch it actually shut down properly. I will likely give that a try tonight, but am about 99% positive it is going to work as it should. I was shocked to see the total for time left was a bit over 40 minutes.

Superorb, how did you get the results above? I can get it to display on the screen, but don't know the commands to get the entire list to a txt file or even see the top of the results. I think the first line I could see after the results scrolled was status. I assume apcaccess - something?

So after quit a bit of delay and some fussing around with unmenu and the APCUPSD package, I finally got all this up and running last night. It does work with the cyberpower UPS just fine. The only thing I haven't done is pull the cord and watch it actually shut down properly. I will likely give that a try tonight, but am about 99% positive it is going to work as it should. I was shocked to see the total for time left was a bit over 40 minutes.

Superorb, how did you get the results above? I can get it to display on the screen, but don't know the commands to get the entire list to a txt file or even see the top of the results. I think the first line I could see after the results scrolled was status. I assume apcaccess - something?

In UnMenu -- System Info - UPS Status

Will list it all out.  Then cut/paste at will with your browser...

In UnMenu -- System Info - UPS Status

Awesome, thanks!!!

Will list it all out.  Then cut/paste at will with your browser...

• 1 month later...

Would it be possible to have both the unRaid and my htpc shut down properly in the event it switches to battery power?

Also I have seen it mentioned that surge protection in UPS devices is poor and seen suggestions of plugging in the UPS to a better surge protector.  Any advice on this or better place to read up on it?

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this last question a bit: I have a CyberPower 2200 with an ethernet interface (RMCARD202), which supports SNMP directly. Any chance of getting it to work via SNMP?

This link suggests that APCUPSD supports an SNMP configuration: http://osdir.com/ml/sysutils.apcupsd.user/2006-12/msg00002.html

But I'm not sure how I'd get the "DEVICE" information described in that post to work with the UnRAID system.

Just in case someone brings it up: the UPS port of the UPS is currently plugged into my QNAP; and the Windows PCs run off the CyberPower network software. If my UnRAID system had a serial port on the 'board, I'd just do that. And if no-one has input for this, I'll find a PCI serial option.