Unraid with No-Ip DNS service

I have registered mydelf with No-Ip services to have my domain name redirected to Unraid web server IP (already installed and running). Now No-Ip uses an application to sync the dynamic IP with the domain name I have registered myself with. The windows version works fine, but they also have a linux version, with tgz file that I downloaded and installed on unraid via following command

installpkg /boot/packages/noip-duc-linux.tar.tgz

command prompt says Package Installed.

Now I need to know how do I run the package to configure the settings .....????

Anyone can help me on this  ...

Thanks in advance ...

Regards

Sammy

And demanding a response in <3hours is better than most paid service level agreement response times... ...

lolzzzz  ... anyway thanks for the response ....  figured it out myself ... here are the steps if it can help anyone else ...

Telnet using Putty

root@SamTower:~# sudo wget http://www.no-ip.com/client/linux/noip-duc-linux.tar.

root@SamTower:~# tar xzf noip-duc-linux.tar.gz

root@SamTower:~# cd noip-2.1.9-1/

root@SamTower:~/noip-2.1.9-1# make

root@SamTower:~/noip-2.1.9-1# make install

this would ask you to choose your no-ip.com com credentials, and update interval

and create a no-ip2.conf file

finally run the command to start the service ...

root@SamTower:~/noip-2.1.9-1# noip2

root@SamTower:~/noip-2.1.9-1#

Hope this helps someone ......

I have registered mydelf with No-Ip services to have my domain name redirected to Unraid web server IP (already installed and running).

That sounds like you are exposing unRaid to the internet directly. Keep in mind that an unmodified unRaid install is NOT secured, and will be hacked if exposed. There are no official procedures for hardening the server, so if you insist on opening it up to the world, you will need to figure out how to secure it yourself.

I have registered mydelf with No-Ip services to have my domain name redirected to Unraid web server IP (already installed and running).

That sounds like you are exposing unRaid to the internet directly. Keep in mind that an unmodified unRaid install is NOT secured, and will be hacked if exposed. There are no official procedures for hardening the server, so if you insist on opening it up to the world, you will need to figure out how to secure it yourself.

mmmm all this has done is, I can access the index.html file (web server start page) from a url (that I chose from No-ip, which is masked as well) from internet ....... how has this opened my server to the world ......Just need to now so that I can look out for a solution to make it more secure ....

mmmm all this has done is, I can access the index.html file (web server start page) from a url (that I chose from No-ip, which is masked as well) from internet ....... how has this opened my server to the world ......Just need to now so that I can look out for a solution to make it more secure ....

The fact that you're able to access the server from Internet means that it is exposed to the world and hackers. Since the system is not secure you will be hacked. The log will show multiple connection attempts.

A VPN is typically used to enable secure remote access.

I would say my Linux knowledge has to be less than anyone here lol

but as far as no-ip is concerned all it does is resolve a domain name you create to your external ip address so instead of having to know your ip you can just use the domain name

that is all it does....you still have to setup some other kind of remote software to connect with no-ip in itself doesn't open any up

also I think what Joe was mentioning is that yes you have it installed and running but whenever the server reboots what tells it to start up again?

but as far as no-ip is concerned all it does is resolve a domain name you create to your external ip address so instead of having to know your ip you can just use the domain name

that is all it does....you still have to setup some other kind of remote software to connect with no-ip in itself doesn't open any up

also I think what Joe was mentioning is that yes you have it installed and running but whenever the server reboots what tells it to start up again?

The server must have a public IP address in order for no-ip to function. This means that the public can access the server. Hackers do not require a domain name to access the server. They are probing all public IP addresses looking for vulnerable machines.

Joe's point is also correct.

The fact that you're able to access the server from Internet means that it is exposed to the world and hackers. Since the system is not secure you will be hacked. The log will show multiple connection attempts.

A VPN is typically used to enable secure remote access.

mmm ok, thanks, got it, first which and where would this log file be in order to check if there was any unauthorized attempt.

second, which VPN for unraid would you suggest to implement, a link to a tut would be highly appreciated .....

My linux knowldge must be even less than you, but thats not all what no-ip does ( resolve a domain name to your external ip),...... the external IP here what I or you are talking about is a dynamic one and it keeps changing. So unless there is a way for no-ip to know what is the latest public IP the url will fail to point to my server.

That is where the application comes which I have mentioned in my OP, which monitors my public ip and updates the host name at no-ip as soon as the public IP changes, so that it always points to the correct location.

What tells the app to start, if the server boots, I guess entry in the Go script. which I have copied ..... I have not rebooted my server, so cant tell if it would work, but the application is perfectly working and updating my hostname when ever my public IP changes. That too within seconds  .....

The unRAID log shows connection attempts. You may be able to load dd-wrt on your router to run a VPN. Or you can use Logmein.

I have used, logmein, I didnt find it useful in the sense that its up to you to create a tunnel. If I have to provide access to say my friend,

and he does not uses it and tries to access my server, he will be able to.  dd-wrt is a risky business, not sure how successfull it is, but I simple cant affort to brick my router.

isnt there a dedicated VPN client for Unraid, which I can install on it and, the only way to have access to my server is through that VPN.

Or may be a dedicated hardware firewall device ......

need to research on this .....

Yes.  thats what they were saying above.  YOu have port 80 (and maybe more since it appears someone tried to ssh to your server) opened to the internet (since you can access your unraid management page from the internet).

Do you have a router performing nat?  most routers would need to allow a port translation to send http requests (which is port 80) to a particular server.  Does your unraid server have a public IP address??  I would assume it does not.

My log has this entry ...

Jul 11 06:19:05 SamTower sshd[7799]: Failed password for root from 183.59.9.150 port 55596 ssh2

does this mean there was a unauthorized attempt ....

I couldn't find a log posted in any of the earlier posts to verify.

But unRAID doesn't have ssh enabled by default.  But it does have unsecured telnet access.  :o

Cheers.

And maybe he fired up ftp as well.

He wouldn't have to, it's there already.  ;)

Although he never did explain fully if he was using this to publish the IP of his unRAID box, or his router front-ending it, because he does mention he has one.

Cheers.

Yes.  thats what they were saying above.  YOu have port 80 (and maybe more since it appears someone tried to ssh to your server) opened to the internet (since you can access your unraid management page from the internet).

Do you have a router performing nat?  most routers would need to allow a port translation to send http requests (which is port 80) to a particular server.  Does your unraid server have a public IP address??  I would assume it does not.

Yes my router is performing NAT, but I have only port fw, 9000 and 81. One for Squeezebox server and other for web server. My Unraid does not have a public IP, my router has. which is redirected to a service (squeezebox or webserver) via 9000 or 81 port on Unraid internal ip (192.168.x.y).

Exactly.  And maybe he fired up ftp as well.  Lets be honest, unraid is not secure (nor is it really meant to be).  So exposing it to people who have nothing better to do than to try and break in to unsecured servers is not my idea of a good time.

I have ftp rather sftp running (thats is what Unraid has right!). But that I do not access from internet. (only through Himachi VPN if I have to)........ As I posted only two ports are being fw, which are used to access the relative services from internet.

Unraid is not ment to be secured, got it , but there must be ways,  to make ti secure right. Like as I said a hardware firewall, or maybe an SSL VPN. As I asked in my earlier post isnt there a dedicated VPN client for Unraid that makes the access of it from internet restricted ...