Western Digital released their new "NAS" line of harddisks

For those interested: Western Digital already had their Black, Blue and Green line of harddisks, but now they have Red as well.  WD claims these drives contain special firmware, meant for optimal performance in combination with NAS'es.  They say they have developed special "NASware" firmware.  No idea what would make these disks more special than their other drives. They come in 1, 2 or 3TB, are SATA600 and have 64MB of cache, so pretty average in my book.

You can find the first online review on the 3TB version of these disks here.

These disks probably aren't any better for unRAID use than the Green disks are (since unRAID isn't classical RAID), but I thought I'd mention it for those interested.

1000000hr mtbf, 3 year warranty with phone support and very low power usage.. ticks all the boxes for me, and for hardly any difference in price to the green line.  Think I'll be buying these in future - well at least as soon as they are available here in Australia ;)

Pricing on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&SrchInDesc=red&Page=1&PageSize=20

Archived