Seagate 3 TB $119.99

Same here. Working fine in Unraid, fast and cool. Here is the info on the drive:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Device Model: ST3000DM001-9YN166

Serial Number:

LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 *****

Firmware Version: CC9E

User Capacity: 3,000,592,982,016 bytes [3.00 TB]

Sector Sizes: 512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical

Device is: Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]

ATA Version is: 8

ATA Standard is: ATA-8-ACS revision 4

Local Time is: Sun Jul 15 09:40:10 2012 EDT

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

SMART support is: Enabled

With these, would it be possible to put it back in the case for warranty purposes if it failed, or is it really taking a risk?

It's taking a risk. Typically on external enclosures you need to break a seal in order to open it up. There is no way to unbreak the seal. Also sometimes opening up the enclosure leaves visible marks and scratches on the case which is a sure-tale sign of unauthorized use.

With these, would it be possible to put it back in the case for warranty purposes if it failed, or is it really taking a risk?

Unless you're a master at it it's almost impossible to not break the tabs when opening it. I spent a half hour trying to do it without breaking the tabs that hold it together but I still ended up breaking half of them.

However, an option for people worried about the warranty you can purchase a 3 year warranty on this drive from Square Trade for only $17.99.

These things are pretty hard to crack open. You have to muscle it almost to the point where you feel that the plastic will break. I have been using a butter knife to help get the trim off and to start with the first tab. Opening it up does not break the sticker seal, as only the corner of the sticker crosses the seam and the adhesive is weak. Here is a youtube video that may be helpful.

All the drives I have tested from these costco enclosures seem to work fine.

I purchased one and cracked it open without breaking the tabs today without any issue.  That being said, there are little marks in the plastic that a person paying attention would possibly notice.

Preclearing now, and much faster than my old drives.  ~140MB/sec / ~138MB/sec for step 1 / 2 currently.

I am fairly sure that the APM (Advanced Power Managment) of these drives were defaulted to ON and caused clicking sound when idle i.e. head parking. If anybody knows how to disable the APM of these Seagate drives already installed in Unraid please let me know.

Some have reported that HDPARM utility can disable the APM. I am unfamiliar with this and alread posted in the Support section.

"HDD APM explained in brief

The Advanced Power Management feature present in virtually all modern hard disk drives is aimed to save energy and power supply by regulating the performance of the hard disk drive. Power consumption is reduced by parking the drive heads when the disk is not in use, by adjusting spin speeds, and disabling internal components when not in use. Aggressive power saving settings allow the hard disk drive to stop its spindle motor and park heads more frequently, which allows saving as much energy as possible, but leads to increased deterioration of mechanics and delays on drive reads caused by waiting the magnetic disks to spin up to the necessary speed. In other words saving energy is achieved by decreasing performance and to a certain extent shortens drive life."

Anyone done a warranty check with a drive outside of its shell and see what Seagate's site reports?

Yeah, it knows the drive was used for an external hard drive and says it has no warranty.

If you get one of these from Costco, you should be able to return it at any time. I don't think it would be considered one of -  televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones.

We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones.

I am fairly sure that the APM (Advanced Power Managment) of these drives were defaulted to ON and caused clicking sound when idle i.e. head parking. If anybody knows how to disable the APM of these Seagate drives already installed in Unraid please let me know.

Some have reported that HDPARM utility can disable the APM. I am unfamiliar with this and alread posted in the Support section.

The Advanced Power Management feature present in virtually all modern hard disk drives is aimed to save energy and power supply by regulating the performance of the hard disk drive. Power consumption is reduced by parking the drive heads when the disk is not in use, by adjusting spin speeds, and disabling internal components when not in use. Aggressive power saving settings allow the hard disk drive to stop its spindle motor and park heads more frequently, which allows saving as much energy as possible, but leads to increased deterioration of mechanics and delays on drive reads caused by waiting the magnetic disks to spin up to the necessary speed. In other words saving energy is achieved by decreasing performance and to a certain extent shortens drive life."

Did you have any luck turning it off?  hdparm -Z /dev/xxx didn't seem to do the trick for me.

FYI:

== Last Cycle's Pre Read Time  : 6:02:43 (137 MB/s)

== Last Cycle's Zeroing time  : 15:48:04 (52 MB/s)

== Last Cycle's Post Read Time : 12:46:29 (65 MB/s)

Did you have any luck turning it off?  hdparm -Z /dev/xxx didn't seem to do the trick for me.

FYI:

== Last Cycle's Pre Read Time  : 6:02:43 (137 MB/s)

== Last Cycle's Zeroing time  : 15:48:04 (52 MB/s)

== Last Cycle's Post Read Time : 12:46:29 (65 MB/s)

Try hdparm -B 255 /dev/xxx

Verify with -I . Let me know if that works for you.

That's normal and setup by default by the Seagate firmware. I actually used 254 to reduce the chirping noise and head parking and not to shutdown the APM. There was some talk that Seagate engineers knew about the problem but elected to use 128 APM because of reliability issues. Not sure about that, but I am just playing it safe.