10/100/1000 Add In Card

Hi guys:

I just had my second Asus P5PE-VM MB Lan Card failure.  I note that quite a few have failed miserably and I've had my "conversations"  ::) with Asus.  Anyway, decided rather than send it back again, I might try an inexpensive PCI Lan GigE.  It's there, but the UnRaid "locks" up during boot.  My guess is that even though the card is recognized, the driver isn't loaded.  Is there a way to put it into the "shell" (pardon my terminology, I'm not to Linux savvy)?

Thanks for suggestions.

Dave

You will need to describe your problem a tiny bit better.

Specifically, what model/make is the network card you are attempting to install?

Obviously, you are unable to access the server from the network... but we need more detail to help guide you.

When you say that unRAID locks up when booting, how far does it get?  Do you get a login prompt on the system console?

Or does the server not boot at all?

If you can get to a Login prompt and log in as "root," type

ifconfig

Let us know what the resulting output says...

Type:

lsmod

Its output will let us know what network driver was loaded.

Did you disable the on-board network interface in the bios?  If not, that might be your whole issue.

Joe L.

It's there, but the UnRaid "locks" up during boot.

What exactly do you mean by lock up.

Does the hardware stop cold dead in it's tracks?

When you press CAPS LOCK on and off does the light go on the keyboard?

When you press enter at the console does the login screen respond?

Or is the environment responding, but you cannot access it from the network.

Hi Joe L. ;D

Great to hear from you.  I hoped you would happen to see this post!  Its a generic Lan Card ostensibly w/Realtech (RTL 8169S/SC) chip.  I have used my 10/100 RTL8139C w/o problems but this one doesn't get to the boot stage or the login at all, just "freezes" after initial boot-up.  It may be incompatible, but ...  I also thought about the internal Lan even if it isn't working so have disabled it with same results.  I'm running UnRaid Version 4.2.1 & Linux 2.6.22.5.  I can probably put the card in a windows based computer and see if it reads there, then report back if that helps.  I did get a small disc w/drivers that supposedly has them for Linux, though the card is ostensibly supposed to be auto-supported in Linux versions 2.4 and 2.6 (that according to mfg ???).  Again a "cheap" card for a "cheap" solution ::) - just frustrated after having just replaced the Asus MB less than 3 weeks ago! :'(!

Dave

Hi Joe L. ;D

Great to hear from you.  I hoped you would happen to see this post!  Its a generic Lan Card ostensibly w/Realtech (RTL 8169S/SC) chip.  I have used my 10/100 RTL8139C w/o problems but this one doesn't get to the boot stage or the login at all, just "freezes" after initial boot-up.  It may be incompatible, but ...  I also thought about the internal Lan even if it isn't working so have disabled it with same results.  I'm running UnRaid Version 4.2.1 & Linux 2.6.22.5.  I can probably put the card in a windows based computer and see if it reads there, then report back if that helps.  I did get a small disc w/drivers that supposedly has them for Linux, though the card is ostensibly supposed to be auto-supported in Linux versions 2.4 and 2.6 (that according to mfg ???).  Again a "cheap" card for a "cheap" solution ::) - just frustrated after having just replaced the Asus MB less than 3 weeks ago! :'(!

Dave

You are describing what might be a hardware issue.  Are you sure the card is plugged in correctly, all the way?  Are you certain the network card works at all?  If it does, it might be an interrupt issue.  Try adding an option or two to the syslinux.cfg file and see if the system then boots.  Instructions here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=1676.msg11412#msg11412  If you unplug the network card, does the server boot?

What is the last thing you see on the screen before the system "freezes" ?  Your description so far is too vague to determine anything.  Take a picture of the screen it it is too hard to describe.

If you can log into the console, can you post a syslog?

If you keep burning out network cards, then perhaps something else is the cause.  Are you in an area with a lot of lightning?  Do you have grounded outlets in your house?

Did you make your own cables? 

Joe L.

Hi Joe L. & Rob (Kudos - WeeboTech)!

Joe, I tried the suggestion that you made w/respect to turning the acpi off in the intrd line.  Same problem, 4.2 hangs before booting after initializing my Promise Card (sees several drives, then stops).

I tried checking the card in a Windows XP machine, but it kept locking me up and originally stated no keyboard.  I was unable to fix the IRQ, so went to Rob's suggestion and upgraded my 2nd key to UnRaid 4.3-B6 and voila, at least it booted to root.  I know that the array is stopped because I checked it with my 10/100 card first.

At this point the UnRaid is started but not visible through Windows (ie //Tower/Main.htm) does not register through the Network.  I have specifically set the DHCP for my system, so suspect its a network issue, though not exactly sure how to get that fixed in Linux/UnRaid.

Under IFCONFIG - I get 10.0.0.185 Subnet 255.255.255.0 and I can telnet into the Server.

I tried ISMOD but it replys - bash:  ismod:  command not found.

I also don't really know what to read to get an idea of the "speed" of this card.  Lights don't seem to help.

I'm not sure how to "fix" this or to access the Server at this point, though believe that I need to get to Devices in order to reset the drives. (Don't I need to access Main.htm first?)

Again thanks to all for your input  :)!!!  I really appreciate the help and the great knowledge of the group!

Warmly,

Dave

Hi Joe L. & Rob (Kudos - WeeboTech)!

Joe, I tried the suggestion that you made w/respect to turning the acpi off in the intrd line.  Same problem, 4.2 hangs before booting after initializing my Promise Card (sees several drives, then stops).

I tried checking the card in a Windows XP machine, but it kept locking me up and originally stated no keyboard.  I was unable to fix the IRQ, so went to Rob's suggestion and upgraded my 2nd key to UnRaid 4.3-B6 and voila, at least it booted to root.  I know that the array is stopped because I checked it with my 10/100 card first.

At this point the UnRaid is started but not visible through Windows (ie //Tower/Main.htm) does not register through the Network.  I have specifically set the DHCP for my system, so suspect its a network issue, though not exactly sure how to get that fixed in Linux/UnRaid.

The default address in a browser is "http://tower/"   

If you are using file explorer, then \\tower\  will show you any shared drives.

[

Under IFCONFIG - I get 10.0.0.185 Subnet 255.255.255.0 and I can telnet into the Server.

If you can telnet into the server, then the network card is working.  You might just need to reboot your router.  Routers use MAC addresses and translate them to IP addresses.  Your router might still know your unRAID server by its old MAC address (associated with its old network card)

I tried ISMOD but it replys - bash:  ismod:  command not found.

The correct spelling of the lsmod command starts with the letter "l" (As in Lama) not "I" as in India.  Unix/Linux is case sensitive, so type in all lower case unless specifically instructed.

Try lsmod

I also don't really know what to read to get an idea of the "speed" of this card.  Lights don't seem to help.

I'm not sure how to "fix" this or to access the Server at this point, though believe that I need to get to Devices in order to reset the drives. (Don't I need to access Main.htm first?)

Again thanks to all for your input  :)!!!  I really appreciate the help and the great knowledge of the group!

Warmly,

Dave

Hi Joe & Rob:

I was finally able to login to the //Tower/Main.htm from my XP machine.  I did go ahead and reset the Router and then in the Settings, I set my "fixed" internal IP Address and have rebooted several times successfully.  My bad on lsmod (can report that if necessary)!

Not  to be a bother, but this is my 2nd Key (I have Pro from original pre 3.0 days), so when I upgraded the last time to 4.2.1, I used the other key.  Now when I boot this Key (Flash) I only get 3 drives not my entire array.  I've searched the files and have copied what I thought was the proper cfg's but it comes up with an error showing the proper Flash GUID but the wrong Registered GUID.  I made a copy of my 3.2.1 version of this Flash, but in order to upgrade to 4.3.B6 I reformatted the Flash and Syslinux'ed it then unzipped the 4.3.B6 to the it per the directions!  What file or hidden bat do I need to get it to see all of my drives or do I need to contact Tom again?

Again KUDOS to all for the great help!!!!  :) :) :) :)

What a group :-*

Dave

Each KEY is assigned to the specific GUID it was registered with.

They are not interchangable. Maybe you need to rename the key that is not working and use the prior KEY as that one must be the one created with the GUID.

I've made the same mistake, put the wrong key on the wrong flash card.

rename and swap them then reboot.

I don't believe there is a restriction as to what version of unRAID you are running.

just the restriction of key to GUID.

The specific file you are looking for to enable the additional drives has a .key suffix.  From my original conversations with Tom, it can be named as you desire. (The actual name does not matter, the .key suffix is what is important)

I also have two flash drives, and I copy the entire drive contents from one to the other to keep them in sync. (There is no need to format them or load syslinux once that task is done the first time, all I ever need do now is replace the bzroot and bzimage files to upgrade.

As I said, both flash drives have both pro keys.  On each, the appropriate key file is named correctlly. The second key file  I give a .kkkeeeyyy suffix.  Below is the listing of the config folder on my server.  The key file in use at this time on my array is Pro2.key.  unRAID uses the first ".key" file it finds in the config folder.

If you are lucky, you will still have the key files Tom originally mailed you on one of your PCs, perhaps you might even have the old mail message.  You just need to put the correct one in place with the .key extension, and re-name the other to have an extension other than .key.

root@Tower:/boot/config# ls -l

total 480

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  256 Mar 23  2007 Pro1.kkkeeeyyy

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  256 Dec  1  2006 Pro2.key

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  398 May 24 15:38 disk.cfg

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  547 May 27 03:32 go

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  589 Nov  5  2007 group

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  132 Apr  4 22:43 ident.cfg

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  5117 Nov 14  2006 license.txt

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    63 Oct  4  2005 model.cfg

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  109 May  5 18:56 network.cfg

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  939 Nov  5  2007 passwd

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    80 Sep 12  2007 share.cfg

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 16384 Jun  1 09:15 shares/

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  521 Nov  5  2007 smbpasswd

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  4096 May 24 16:14 super.dat

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  3519 Mar 23  2007 timezone

Hi Joe:

Thanks for the tips, YOU "rock"  ;D!  I had saved my 3.2.1 configuration on the hard drive and was able to find my "key" - Pro2.key.  I think that I will rename the Key file with the last 3 digits (I've coded them that way on the key itself) so that I can identify which is which and what code goes with which key.

Again, thanks for all the help, despite the ASUS board Lan going bad, this is an awesome program/system!  Joe, from Linux is there a way to tell the speed of the lan card?  or a command to set the speed in case its going slower than advertised?

Warm regards to everyone - Joe/Rob/WeeboTech - unbelievable support, if I can ever offer any help to you or other, please let me know!

Dave

Again, thanks for all the help, despite the ASUS board Lan going bad, this is an awesome program/system!  Joe, from Linux is there a way to tell the speed of the lan card?  or a command to set the speed in case its going slower than advertised?

You can determine the speed of the LAN, and set it with ethtool

Unfortunately, Tom does not seem to include it on the current distribution.

Fortunately, attached is a zipped copy.

The output will look a bit like this:

root@Tower:/boot# ethtool eth0

Settings for eth0:

Supported ports: [ TP ]

Supported link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Speed: 1000Mb/s

Duplex: Full

Port: Twisted Pair

PHYAD: 1

Transceiver: internal

Auto-negotiation: on

Supports Wake-on: umbg

Wake-on: g

Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)

Link detected: yes

You can set the speed (and other options) with

ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 full duplex autoneg off

Google "ethtool man" for more options and settings.

Have fun

Joe L.

Joe, as ususal you are AWESOME ;D!!!  I had to go find another download as my system wouldn't open yours or several others, but now have it unzippend on my XP machine.  Have searched a bit on ethtool man and others, but because I'm such a Linux novice, am not sure how to either install the package or add it to the system. 

Do I simply copy the files into the "config" sub-directory or do I need to create a separate folder etc.  Sorry for the "basic" questions, but I grew up in Dos/Win and never really played much in Unix/Linux  :-[ - my bad!

Regards,

Dave

Joe, as ususal you are AWESOME ;D!!!  I had to go find another download as my system wouldn't open yours or several others, but now have it unzippend on my XP machine.  Have searched a bit on ethtool man and others, but because I'm such a Linux novice, am not sure how to either install the package or add it to the system. 

Do I simply copy the files into the "config" sub-directory or do I need to create a separate folder etc.  Sorry for the "basic" questions, but I grew up in Dos/Win and never really played much in Unix/Linux  :-[ - my bad!

Regards,

Dave

In this case, ethtool is not a package, but a single executable file.  Installation is simply putting the file on the server somewhere.

Now that you have it unzipped, put a copy of it in a folder of the flash drive, it really does not matter where on the flash drive, easiest is at the root level.

The reason I say "easiest" is because it is not in the execute path you will need to "cd" to that same folder in order to execute it.

So, if you copy it to the top folder on the flash drive, then when you log in you will need to "cd /boot" to change directory to that folder, and then type

cd /boot

ethtool eth0

or, you can nvoke it from anywhere with the full path as:

/boot/ethtool eth0

Joe L.