HPA showing up in unMENU on 3TB drive

Are 3TB drives recongized by unMENU?

I just updated my parity drive to a 3TB Seagate and it is showing up with an HPA warning in unMENU.  I think this warning is driven from a list of "known" drive sizes so wondering if this is a real issue or just that the size is not in the standard list?

The drive has never been in another computer, and this board to my knowledge doesn't do HPA.  My hardware list in my signature is current.

I attached a couple shots from unMENU of the drive characteristics and the unMENU screen.

The other drive showing HPA is a SSD and not on the list.

Capture.PNG.67f19d8e7e77e384544c85b58e889afa.PNG

Capture2.PNG.0d2d639c5218d4f3a1836e1895745eca.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have thoughts on this?  I looked in the unMENU file and it doesn't look like it lists a 3TB drive on the list.  What should the official size be?  Should I just manually add it, or is there an updated list I should have downloaded.  I think I have the latest version of unMENU.

• 5 weeks later...

This is another example of how unraid is not up to date. Focus is probably on the latest release canidate, but things like unmenu or the actual (minimal) specs, or things like hardware compatibility lists, are not being maintained at all. I know it is a lot of work, but then again, it IS a commercial product, so i as a consumer expect some degree of maintenance. Besides that, unmenu could really use a makeover so it looks a bit more modern.

Anyway, you can remove the invalid HPA message by editing your harddisk in unmenu and add an entry "hpa_ok" and giving it a value of "1". This way the HPA message will dissapear. Go to http://tower:8080/myMain and click on the disk id link and enter the value there:

hpa.jpg.50f2d498ca1149d5cf479888d5c4d10a.jpg

It's not really an example how unraid isn't up to date, unmenu is in no way supported by limetech, it is the work of users, which is why it is found in user customizations.

The work put into unmenu has been done so for free and released to benefit the community, no one can fault the users who created it for not pouring all their time into it.

It's not really an example how unraid isn't up to date, unmenu is in no way supported by limetech, it is the work of users, which is why it is found in user customizations.

The work put into unmenu has been done so for free and released to benefit the community, no one can fault the users who created it for not pouring all their time into it.

+1

I have a 3 TB Hitachi showing a size of 2930266532. In Mymain of unmenu it doesn't show HPA.

There is a file called mymain.conf in unMENU that has a section listing all the valid drive sizes.  I don't have the 3TB in my list for some reason.  I found the correct file in a search but want to make sure I use the right syntax (could do some trial and error).

When did you download and install unMENU?  I'm on the correct version but maybe they updated this conf file without making a full update. 

+2

but things like unmenu or the actual (minimal) specs, or things like hardware compatibility lists, are not being maintained at all. I know it is a lot of work, but then again, it IS a commercial product, so i as a consumer expect some degree of maintenance. Besides that, unmenu could really use a makeover so it looks a bit more modern.

Nothing you mentioned, unMENU, the hardware compatibility lists, or even minimal specs have anything to do with lime-technology.  They are all contributed by the user-community. 

If you do not like unMENU, re-write it, or contribute to its updating.  Other users have done exactly that, and you are seeing the work of many.  When written there was no general purpose web-server on unRAID (and there is still not one) and its appearance was dictated by its ability to serve one request at a time.    the myMain plugin changed appearance and built on my original work and took advantage of some minimal ability to server files from under /var/log.  It took some really creative thinking for that to occur.  (unMENU itself is a minor miracle itself. )

You are obviously ungrateful for the work contributed by myself and others, in which case I suggest you just not use unMENU, since its "not modern looking"  I don't know how you use you server, but I use it to play music and movies.  I care how they look and sound, but I do not sit there for hours on end staring at the unMENU or unRAID web-pages.  I am not anal about their appearance as long as they provide the information required to manage the server.

As far as the hardware compatibility list in the wiki, it too is entirely maintained by the user-community... Yes, users JUST LIKE YOU,  (well, maybe not like you, as those who edit it are those who want to contribute, not complain, as the un-official section of the wiki is editable by everyone)

The minimal specs are still the same, and unRAID will still fit on the 128Meg flash drive my original unRAID was shipped on. (Yes, 128Meg.)  I still run with 512 Meg of RAM on my older server. 

unRAID will NOT transcode and stream video real-time, or run multiple memory-hungry apps on 512 Meg of RAM, but it is amazing what you can do.    It WILL store files, and act as a NAS server on your LAN. (And that is all it is marketed for unless I missed a major announcement)

Now, I'll not defend lime-tech's periodic absence, but it has been his pattern of involvement since the very earliest days.

I too would like a more regular update... 

If Tom were to never return there are others, like myself that would form a community effort to reverse engineer the proprietary parts if we felt the need...  Again, as a file-server, for the most part, unRAID is doing what it is supposed to do except on specific newer disk controller chipsets, and those are linux kernel bugs, not under lime-tech's control.

Joe L.

Oh yes... one more thing...

unMENU has an entry in myMain.conf for 3TB drives, and it is:

SetConstant(ValidPartitionSizes, "MX200G=199148512,200G=195360952,MX250G=245117344,MX300G=293057320,SG300G=293036152,320G=312571192,400G=390711352,640G=625131832, \
                                  8G=8257000,MX40G=40146592,60G=58615672,WD74G=72613024,80G=78150712,SM120G=117246496,WD120G=117220792,MX160G=160086496,160G=156290872, \
                                  3T=2930266532,")

I'm guessing you've not pressed the "Check for Updates" button to have it install the new version.

That file was updated about a year ago in  Aug, 2011.

For new users LIKE ME, it is totally UNCLEAR what is actually Limetech owned, and what is not. For me, a paying customer, this forum, the wiki's and all that goes on here, simply IS 'unraid'. I guess i'm wrong about that. Maybe Limetech and 'the community' should be more clear about this. And yes, i do like a more modern look, even though it doesn't fullfill any other purpose. You like a beautifull woman don't you? Or is it enough for you that 'she' is 'technically' a women? ;) I really like the SimpleFeatures look and feel.

For new users LIKE ME, it is totally UNCLEAR what is actually Limetech owned, and what is not. For me, a paying customer, this forum, the wiki's and all that goes on here, simply IS 'unraid'. I guess i'm wrong about that. Maybe Limetech and 'the community' should be more clear about this. And yes, i do like a more modern look, even though it doesn't fullfill any other purpose. You like a beautifull woman don't you? Or is it enough for you that 'she' is 'technically' a women? ;) I really like the SimpleFeatures look and feel.

Then redesign the UI yourself. As Joe said you are free to contribute. For everyone else it's good enough. That's the whole reason SimpleFeatures was created. The existing UI wasn't good enough for them so they created a new one themselves. Unraid is basically meant to be a barebones NAS with data protection. Literally everything else is user contributed. A beautiful woman is not built by a user community.

It was just an example. I understand die hard linux freaks dont care about usability and user interfaces at all, but i think this community should also realize that not all people who work with unraid, are hardcore linux power users... if this is getting more and more succesfull, you will get people here who would have otherwise bought a QNAP or Synology NAS... like myself. And if i look at how the UI looks on those devices.... well i said it before, it makes unraid look like something from the late 80's.

Furthermore, 'redesign it yourself if you dont like it' is a non argument... that would mean i may (!) only comment on things if i had the skills to change it myself? What sort of strange concept is that? If i can not change it myself, i'm not entitled to say something about it? So the next time YOU file a bug report or issue, Limetech says to you 'if you dont like it that much, fix it yourself'. Right... I don't think so.

Then issue people took with your comments were that you come off sounding pissed off and ungrateful that the UI hasn't been updated when the people who made these add-ons did so in their spare time for free to benefit the community. I can understand liking and wanting a good UI, that's why I only using Macs and iOS devices. However, a plain or bad UI is not a "bug or an issue" if everything works but just isn't pretty enough. And as has been stated a many times, Lime-Tech Unraid is the only commercial product here. Unmenu and other add-ons are not. They guys who made them not spending their free time making them prettier is not something you can be upset about. That is why I said if it bothers you so much you should do it yourself. I bet a lot of people would appreciate it.

AS many have said, suggesting an improvement, even if you yourself do not have the skills to impliment it can help.  Simply stating you don't like the way it looks, does not.

As far as a more modern appearance, it was not possible when unMENU was written.     

If you are adventurous, there is a very-alpha un-released branch of unMENU on google.code developed by a user of unMENU and unRAID who does have the skills you lack.  He took it on himself to add skinning capabilities to unMENU building on the style similar to that now present in Simplefeatures.

At some point I'll probably have some time to incorporate its "style" into the main branch.  I have to ensure it will continue to work on older versions of unRAID and at this point I've not had any time to even install it here to give it a try.    I expect it will not be before the Thanksgiving holidays before I do have free time.

Sorry for not working on "*your*" schedule,  I have so many things with higher priority in my life that I cannot get to it earlier. 

You can see a tiny bit of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il0FsN5jTUg

and here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPBlhxn0ydE

You can find the changes he made here:

http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/source/browse/#svn%2Fbranches%2Fskin%253Fstate%253Dclosed

Just be forewarned, if you install this branch of changes and subsequently use the check for updates button, they WILL be overwritten by the older version you dislike.

Joe L.

Oh yes... one more thing...

unMENU has an entry in myMain.conf for 3TB drives, and it is:

SetConstant(ValidPartitionSizes, "MX200G=199148512,200G=195360952,MX250G=245117344,MX300G=293057320,SG300G=293036152,320G=312571192,400G=390711352,640G=625131832, 
                                  8G=8257000,MX40G=40146592,60G=58615672,WD74G=72613024,80G=78150712,SM120G=117246496,WD120G=117220792,MX160G=160086496,160G=156290872, 
                                  3T=2930266532,")

I'm guessing you've not pressed the "Check for Updates" button to have it install the new version.

That file was updated about a year ago in  Aug, 2011.

Joe,

In a year or more of using unMENU, I never noticed the update button :).  Feeling pretty stupid about that, and have been though every screen many times so no good excuses for that.  I had even gone back to the download site to see if there was a newer more current version, but it is still the one I downloaded.

So anyway, that solved my problem.  As always thanks for all your help.  It IS appreciated.

Glad you are continuing development.  I wish I knew how to code, but for whatever tech knowledge i have, programing is not one of them... Other than "BASIC" I learned back in middle school :) but somehow I doubt that is useful for much of anything!

If someone else ever testing is useful let me know :).