Samba

Since updating to version 5.0-rc5 the server no longer appears as a Samba server while it is activated

You have to ' turn on' samba is two places.  First, under 'Settings'.  Second, under 'Shares', then click on the Share 'name' to bring up the next place.

IF this doesn't work, you need to post a LOT more information!  I have not seen anyone else who has complained about this problem... and that leads me to believe that there is some sort of cockpit error.

Everything is ok in the parameters, but the server is not seen as a Samba server, by cons I have access to shared folders via a network drive

Apparently, English is not your first language.  This may be a long difficult process to determine what your problem is.  (If anyone else has some insight, please feel free to help!) 

First, let's begin with statement:  "but the server is not seen as a Samba server"  How are you trying to see the samba server?  Are you using a window computer, Mac computer, Linux computer?  What version of software is this computer using?  Have you rebooted your router?  Have you rebooted all of the client computers (not the unRAID server)? 

Second, in the statement: "by cons I have access to shared folders via a network drive", the word "cons" does not make sense.  How are you seeing shared folders if Samba is not working? 

Third, what version of unRAID did you upgrade from?  If you came from version 4.7 (or earlier), did you run the Permissions script?

Yes, I am French and I'm not necessarily comfortable with the English

My previous version was a 5.0-beta12a

From a Windows computer I access shared folders on the server

I have an iPad with applications that can read files on Samba servers: with the version 5.0-beta12a I saw the unRAID server, with the version 5.0-rc5 I do not see more

I have an iPad with applications that can read files on Samba servers: with the version 5.0-beta12a I saw the unRAID server, with the version 5.0-rc5 I do not see more

OK.  I understand your situation.  (I learned German at age 61 to be able to speak to my German cousins.)  More questions to help me (and others) to understand exactly what the problem is. 

1--  Are you able to see the samba shares from your windows computer?  If you are able to see them from  that computer, then samba is working.

2--  You are having problems seeing the shares with your iPad and the application on it.  Is this statement correct?  If the problem is only with the iPad, there was a change in the version of Samba used in the recent versions of unRAID.  The new version could have had changes could have affected the iPad application. 

OK.  I understand your situation.  (I learned German at age 61 to be able to speak to my German cousins.)  More questions to help me (and others) to understand exactly what the problem is. 

1--  Are you able to see the samba shares from your windows computer?  If you are able to see them from  that computer, then samba is working.

Yes

2--  You are having problems seeing the shares with your iPad and the application on it.  Is this statement correct?  If the problem is only with the iPad, there was a change in the version of Samba used in the recent versions of unRAID.  The new version could have had changes could have affected the iPad application.

I also have a multimedia disk (Dune) with which I could see the server version 5.0-unRaid beta12a, but I can not see the latest version

Since windows works, it sounds like the samba implementation on the iPad software needs to be updated.  They could be using a really old version that is not compatible with the version being used presently.  You may want to contact the software developer, as it's a problem on their end. 

I also have a multimedia disk (Dune) with which I could see the server version 5.0-unRaid beta12a, but I can not see the latest version

I would suggest rebooting the Dune by  pulling the power plug, waiting thirty seconds and plugging it back in.  If that does not work, hopefully some of the Dune users may have some other thoughts. 

I am a bit surprised that you are not using NFS with the Dune.  The Dune is a Linux based device and the native file transfer protocol for Linux is NFS.  It is a bit more difficult to setup but it rock stable once it is setup.  (Samba is easy to setup and when it works, it is great.  But when it does not work, it can be really difficult to troubleshoot.  There are a lot of bald-headed IT people in the world as a result of the things that can go wrong with it.)

I would suggest rebooting the Dune by  pulling the power plug, waiting thirty seconds and plugging it back in.  If that does not work, hopefully some of the Dune users may have some other thoughts. 

This has not changed

I am a bit surprised that you are not using NFS with the Dune.  The Dune is a Linux based device and the native file transfer protocol for Linux is NFS.  It is a bit more difficult to setup but it rock stable once it is setup.  (Samba is easy to setup and when it works, it is great.  But when it does not work, it can be really difficult to troubleshoot.  There are a lot of bald-headed IT people in the world as a result of the things that can go wrong with it.)

How to set the Dune to get there?

I have enabled NFS

On my iPad I see again my unRAID server, but still not on the Dune

Have you entered new credentials/user in the Dune to access the shares? It may have been accessing the unRAID through 'root' which is no longer valid.

Just enter a new user, no password required. Another user had this issue on Rc5.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Archived