Icy Dock 3-in-2

wreck

I have one of these already http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994052 and was looking at getting another to continue to expand my server. In looking around newegg I found this as well http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994026 and I'm curious what the difference is. I read through the main specs and can't see anything other than price. Can anybody shed some more light on this for me? Thanks.

You are right and actually the cheaper one is the one that says it supports SATA III, weird. I also noticed the cheaper one only has 3 sata plugs on the back, where the other has 6. On the one I had I only use one pair of 3 connectors, of course. Could the other 3 be for some feature that doesn't even matter since I'm using it in an unraid box? Perhaps that's why it's more expensive? Thanks.

You are right and actually the cheaper one is the one that says it supports SATA III, weird. I also noticed the cheaper one only has 3 sata plugs on the back, where the other has 6. On the one I had I only use one pair of 3 connectors, of course. Could the other 3 be for some feature that doesn't even matter since I'm using it in an unraid box? Perhaps that's why it's more expensive? Thanks.

The more expensive one says it supports both SATA and SAS.  I believe SAS drives can be daisy-chained in some fashion.  I can not believe that that is any design change required in drive cage to provide SATA III support.

As luck would have it, the model that was previously more expensive is now cheaper, thanks to a MIR and a coupon code (thanks good deal forum). This is the model I have one of already, so I know it works and I like them, but is there any danger in not having the SATAIII support? Thanks.