First build redux. Any glaring errors?

moonman

After posting a thread a few weeks ago I realised that I needed to do a bit more research. Now I think I've put together a great little setup but I just need a confirmation that these components will play nicely and do everything I want them to.

What is your budget?  Even if you don't have a strict budget set out, at least give us an idea if you are pinching pennies or splurging on your build.

Not pinching pennies, but I'm not made of money either. I want it to work well, but I'm not going to throw money down the drain on components I'll never use.

How many drives do you want your server to be able to support and how much capacity do you need?

Starting with two 3tb data drives, but eventually adding more as I rip my blu rays, etc, to the array. Let's say less than 10 data drives though.

Is expandability important to you?  If so, what's your long term goal?

Yes. Adding a few new drives in the next few months.

Are you interested in running any unRAID Add Ons (see here)?  If so, which ones?  Be specific.

Yes. Needs to support transcoding for Subsonic music server. Needs to support uTorrent. Probably others as I experiment and expand.

Do you want to run green/low power drives or faster 7200 rpm drives?  If you don't have a specific need for 7200 rpm drives, then choose green drives.

Green drives.

Do you have any spare parts laying around that you would like to apply towards your build?  This includes drives.

No.

If you already have parts in mind, please oh pretty please post links to them so that we don't have to look them up.

CASE: Antec 900 - $112

PSU: Still not 100% sure. It's a toss up between the following:

Seasonic X-560 80Plus Gold 560W - $169

Seasonic X-400 Fanless Gold 400W - $169

Both gold rated, but I am leaning towards the 560W one, obviously has the potential to support more drives. Any advice?

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 1155pin - $116

Is this CPU good for transcoding?

MOTHERBOARD: : Supermicro x9scm-f - $248 from local supplier.

RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 4GB - $25

Is this compatable?

FLASH DRIVE: Kingston Data Traveller 8GB - $6

PARITY/DATA DRIVES: Western Digital Green 3TB x3 - $175*3= $525

Total cost excluding drives: 112 + 116 + 169 + 248 + 25 + 6 = $676

+ cost of drives = 676 + 525 = $1201

Cache drive and unRAID licence will be added later when I start expanding.

PSU - Go for the 560 for sure, always better to have more power up front.  Saving in the long run.

CPU - fine for transcoding

M/B - where are you sourcing the X9SCM in Aus?  I looked everywhere when I was buying, but couldn't find it.

RAM - no that's not compatible, you need unbuffered ECC for these boards.  eg: http://www.megabuy.com.au/advanced_search.html?keywords=KVR1333D3E9SK2&searchid=825e18bbe954a30ed846330527a608b4

Everything else looks fine to me.

I too would also like to know where you are getting that motherboard from? The only place in Oz seems to be Techbuy.com.au at $285.80 (http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/183478/MOTHERBOARD_INTEL_SOCKET_1155/Supermicro/X9SCM-F.asp).

Although it looks like there is a X9SCM-IIF-O (not sure how different it is?) but I've only been able to find that in the US and all the online shops don't seem to ship to Aus. So by the time you get it shipped here you're looking at around $240-250 using myusadress.com or the like.

Motherboard is from digicor. They were pretty helpful on the phone and via email.

As spoken' date=' we have stock for the X9SCM-F currently priced at $248 ex with a $14 ex freight to Newcastle.  Payment by Visa/Mastercard attracts no surcharge.[/quote']

Not sure what he means by 'ex', but anyway.

Also, the processor I had in mind has sold out, so I found a slightly different one. Might change the USB drive to another Kingston one too and do the majority of the order through PCCG. Will those changes make a difference?

As for RAM, there's unbuffered ECC RAM available in 8GB from eyo for around $80, or 4GB from mwave for $53 (or I could get two sticks from mwave). Any advice?

Cheers.

I guess the EX means excluding GST? So you'll need to put another 10% on top of that price ?

I've just ordered a X9SCM-IIF from Superbiiz.com for $184 (there's a current $5 discount ending on the 30/7) while the X9SCM-F can be had for $167. I'm using Price USA to ship it to Australia and its looking like I'll get it here for around $230. But thats using the slowest shipping, so I might be waiting a month for it ....

I guess the EX means excluding GST? So you'll need to put another 10% on top of that price ?

Well normally it's illegal to advertise a price to the public without including GST, although I guess it makes sense because most of their customers are businesses. I'll post back after I've bought it to advise of the price.

Their office in Sydney is about 5 minutes from a friend's place, so I will just drop by and pick it up when I'm visiting next.

Why not pick up the last 2x4Gb kit that Megabuy has here? :  http://www.megabuy.com.au/kingston-1333mhz-8gb-ddr3-ecc-cl9-dimmkit-of-2-w-thsens-p311099.html

Looks decent. What about that new processor, is it compatible?