Did I cook a drive?

Long story short:

Running 4.5.6. 

Was having an issue with accessing some folders on a particular drive.  Tried to run GUI with difficulty, but drives were running super hot!  Over 60!  I apparently turned off spin down option and....well, there you go.

I shut the server down.  Reset the spin down to 15 minutes.  Then I tried to run parity.  First I started with over 400,000 minutes to run the check.  It eventually went down to 60, but is now up to 8000 again.  The drive in question shows over 1800 errors.  All other drives show 0 errors (7 drives + parity).

I've attached the latest system log, but have cut it down due to size.  It was 4x over the limit.

Is that drive toast?  Should I shut the system down and buy a replacement?  The drive is 2 years old (Hitachi Deskstar), probably under warranty, but I looked on their site and they are suggesting running some utility that erases the data.  Is this necessary or should I just try to get an RMA without it?  Or, is the drive usuable still (unlikely?)  How long does the RMA process take?  I really don't need the extra drive for anything.

Thanks for the help!

Brian

syslog_cut.txt

Long story short:

Running 4.5.6. 

Was having an issue with accessing some folders on a particular drive.  Tried to run GUI with difficulty, but drives were running super hot!  Over 60!  I apparently turned off spin down option and....well, there you go.

I shut the server down.  Reset the spin down to 15 minutes.  Then I tried to run parity.  First I started with over 400,000 minutes to run the check.  It eventually went down to 60, but is now up to 8000 again.  The drive in question shows over 1800 errors.  All other drives show 0 errors (7 drives + parity).

I've attached the latest system log, but have cut it down due to size.  It was 4x over the limit.

Is that drive toast?  Should I shut the system down and buy a replacement?  The drive is 2 years old (Hitachi Deskstar), probably under warranty, but I looked on their site and they are suggesting running some utility that erases the data.  Is this necessary or should I just try to get an RMA without it?  Or, is the drive usuable still (unlikely?)  How long does the RMA process take?  I really don't need the extra drive for anything.

Thanks for the help!

Brian

Those are UNC errors.  "HSM Violation"  (I had to look that one up... never saw it before)

"Hardware failed to respond in an expected manner. "HSM" stands for Host State Machine, a software-based finite state machine required by ATA that expects certain hardware behaviors, based on the current ATA command and other hardware-state programming details."

Basically,I think it indicates you cooked the drive.  Let it cool down.  Do not erase the drive, just shut the server off for an hour or two.   

Then, power up and get a smart report on the drive.  Post it here.

Joe L.

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct  0x0033  001  001  005    Pre-fail  Always  FAILING_NOW 1360

196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032  031  031  000    Old_age  Always      -      1414

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0022  070  070  000    Old_age  Always      -      709

A good indicator that the drive is in the process of failing.

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct  0x0033  001  001  005    Pre-fail  Always  FAILING_NOW 1360

196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032  031  031  000    Old_age  Always      -      1414

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0022  070  070  000    Old_age  Always      -      709

A good indicator that the drive is in the process of failing.

No, not in the process...  It is FAILING NOW.

Ok, pulled it.  Looks like up to 2 weeks for a replacement! 

Should I just leave the whole thing off in the meantime or buy another drive?

Advice?

B.

If you are over 80% total utilization, I'd buy another drive, preclear it a couple times, rebuild onto it, then when you get the replacement, preclear it a couple times, then add it to the array and rebalance to get your usage below 80% on all drives.

If you don't need the space, I'd just wait.