Xander Norco 4224 Build

Xander

Hardware:

=====================================================================================================

Case: Norco 4224 - 24 hotswap bays - $395

Case Mid Fan Wall 120MM: 120MM Fan wall for Norco 4224 - $0

Case Middle Fans: Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm Fan x 3 - $75 ($25 each)

Case Rear Fans: Noctua NF-R8-1800 80mm Fan x 2 - $36 ($18 each)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 1000W 80+ PLATINUM Modular - $187

Accessory - 1to7 Molex Connector: NORCO C-P1T7 4 Pin Molex 1 Male to 7 Female Power Extension Splitter Cable - $8

Accessory - Norco BALL-BEARING Rails: RL-26 Rails - $40

Mobo: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O LGA 1155 Intel C204 Micro ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server Motherboard - $175

CPU: Intel E3-1230 V2 - $236

RAM: Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Intel Model KVR13E9/8I x 2 - $158 ($79 each)

RAID Controller Cards (for 5 of the 6 SAS connectors): undecided (thinking the LSI 9211-8 or the M1015)... Dont want hardware raid at all. The LSI is pretty expensive for 3 cards

Backplane to onboard SATA ports Cable: NORCO C-SFF8087-4S Discrete to SFF-8087 (Reverse breakout) Cable - $15

1x 2.5 120GB hdd laying around for OS

Shipping Costs: $8

Total (so far): $1333

Chassis: ~$750 (about $200 saving over supermicro 24 bay).

Processing Guts (Mobo/CPU/RAM): ~$570

HDD Facilitation Guts (RAID cards, SAS cabling etc): $15+????

=====================================================================================================

Narrowed down my mobo/ram/cpu to something like this:

Mobo: unordered: TYAN S5512GM4NR ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1155 Intel C204 DDR3 1600 - $240

CPU: unordered Intel E3-1230 V2 - $235

RAM: unordered Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Intel Model KVR13E9/8I x 2 - $170 ($85 each)

Why Tyan over SuperMicro? Couple reasons that I been musing over:

> Web based IPMI - My understanding is the SuperMicro offerings all require you to download a client to access the software. Web based IPMI allows Java based KVM over IP (Which is a typical style that Dell/HP/etc offer). I like Web based management with not OS level limitations other than web based tech (ie Java/javascript)

> Preboot bios flashing. Not sure if the supermicro had this. Handy if new bios update is needed for updated CPU.

> 4 Built in Gig NICs.... FOUR!! Also supposedly supported by Esxi/proxmox etc. with no hacking/patching.

> ATX sized board (vs mATX supermicro), PCI x16 slot with 2 x8, 2 internal USB slots (vs 1 in supermicro I saw)

Very impressive build. I would recommend not using the one to seven power splitter. Eighteen gauge wire just is not meant to have 48+ amps. Apart from the possible heat problems, there will be a voltage loss on the 12 volt line on the order of 1 volt during simultaneous disk spin up. Use three Molex lines from the power supply, each supplying two backplanes.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15773.msg146800#msg146800

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=16180.msg149707#msg149707

Good thought.

I had not encountered issues with this before as I had not been using all the slots on the Norco so the load (if there ever was any) on the splitter was never high enough to cause issues.

I will look into having three molex lines from the power supply. I hope my cables reach.

-dpc

> Web based IPMI - My understanding is the SuperMicro offerings all require you to download a client to access the software. Web based IPMI allows Java based KVM over IP (Which is a typical style that Dell/HP/etc offer). I like Web based management with not OS level limitations other than web based tech (ie Java/javascript)

Not sure about the other things, but you don't need the client to use IPMI, it's web-based and for KVM it launches a Java session and works great...

People are reporting in the Atlas thread that the Tyan boards, while nice, do have a bug in the IPMI. They are reporting that they do not reboot/start up/shut down properly from ipmi and you you still need to hit a power switch.

to me that's an epic fail if it is true.

My guess is is, thats fixable with a bios/firmware patch if true.

Xander

Hardware:

Case: Norco 4224 - 24 hotswap bays - $395

Case Mid Fan Wall 120MM: 120MM Fan wall for Norco 4224 - $0

Case Middle Fans: Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm Fan x 3 - $75 ($25 each)

Case Rear Fans: Noctua NF-R8-1800 80mm Fan x 2 - $36 ($18 each)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 1000W 80+ PLATINUM Modular - $187

Accessory - 1to7 Molex Connector: NORCO C-P1T7 4 Pin Molex 1 Male to 7 Female Power Extension Splitter Cable - $8

Accessory - Norco BALL-BEARING Rails: RL-26 Rails - $40

Mobo: unordered: TYAN S5512GM4NR ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1155 Intel C204 DDR3 1600 - $240

CPU: unordered Intel E3-1230 V2 - $235

RAM: unordered Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Intel Model KVR13E9/8I x 2 - $170 ($85 each)

RAID Controller Cards (for 5 of the 6 SAS connectors): undecided (thinking the LSI 9211-8 or the M1015)... Dont want hardware raid at all. The LSI is pretty expensive for 3 cards

Backplane to onboard SATA ports Cable: NORCO C-SFF8087-4S Discrete to SFF-8087 (Reverse breakout) Cable - $15

1x 2.5 120GB hdd laying around for OS

Shipping Costs: $8

Total (so far): $764

Chassis: ~$750 (about $200 saving over supermicro 24 bay).

Processing Guts (Mobo/CPU/RAM): ~$645

HDD Facilitation Guts (RAID cards, SAS cabling etc): $15+????

Hi

the prices you listed for the parts are much cheaper than on NewEgg. how come?

People are reporting in the Atlas thread that the Tyan boards, while nice, do have a bug in the IPMI. They are reporting that they do not reboot/start up/shut down properly from ipmi and you you still need to hit a power switch.

For me the IPMI or the power switch are the only things that work.  When you try to shutdown from the ESXi console on a Tyan S5512 board it just restarts.  I have to bring up the IPMI screen for the PC in a browser and shut it down from there or use power button.  Otherwise the Tyan board works fine for me.

For me the IPMI or the power switch are the only things that work.  When you try to shutdown from the ESXi console on a Tyan S5512 board it just restarts.  I have to bring up the IPMI screen for the PC in a browser and shut it down from there or use power button.  Otherwise the Tyan board works fine for me.

Good info. thanks for the clarification..

Strange, I haven't had that issue at all.  I have rebooted/powered on/started/and shut down from ipmi.  If that didn't work for me, it would truly be an epic fail.  Maybe I just got lucky?

Strange, I haven't had that issue at all.  I have rebooted/powered on/started/and shut down from ipmi.  If that didn't work for me, it would truly be an epic fail.  Maybe I just got lucky?

I think he was going off of my comments in another thread.  IPMI was the most reliable shut down for me.  Power button second as it didn't always shut down - it restarted a couple of times.  Trying to shutdown from ESXi almost never works.  It might work from Windows but shutdown from unRAID didn't.  It would just restart like it did from the ESXi web console the only 2 times I tried it.  I like my Tyan board it is just VERY!!!! annoying to have to bring up an IPMI session to shut it down to make a hardware change.  I'm used to being able to shut down the computer from within ESXi on my X9SCM.  With the Tyan I have to have two windows open.  I shutdown or restart from ESXi then power off from IPMI once ESXi has exited.  Not a deal breaker since I don't shutdown often.