GA-G33-DS3R NIC

• 1 month later...

I can't speak to the GA-G33-DS3R directly, but I wouldn't foresee any problems.  I'm using a similar Gigabyte board GA-P35C-DS3R (also 8 SATA ports) without significant problems.  I really liked the look of the G33 with built-in video, but I found it a bit harder to find than the P35 series.  The only problem that I've seen with the P35C (it's now up and running but I'm replacing some drives) and the GA-P35-DS3L that I was using previously is that I think they sometimes do some quirky things to my 1TB drives if they are not running in AHCI mode (as might be the case if you're also using PATA drives on the onboard port).  I have a thread under "Hardware" about my TB drives showing up as different sizes.  Note, I haven't done extensive testing to know *exactly* if this is what's causing the varying drive sizes and/or why it happens, but in AHCI mode, all is looking good.

BTW, from my searching, P35-based DS3R boards have 8 SATA ports but the P45-based ones do not.  Since there are a number of different models with very similar names, check the specs before committing to one.

• 4 weeks later...

I am thinking about buying this board. I have rma'ed two AB9 pro's and just dont feel like dealing with abit any more. Would I need a seperate NIC? I heard people haveing problems with the NIC in the past, but i was not sure how this changed with recent builds.

Hi there,

I'm running that board in my box, and it runs wonderfully. No need for a separate NIC or what have you, it works well out of the box. Has great features, and has been wonderfully stable for me over the last 4-6 months. It has my recommendation.

I am thinking about buying this board. I have rma'ed two AB9 pro's and just dont feel like dealing with abit any more. Would I need a seperate NIC? I heard people haveing problems with the NIC in the past, but i was not sure how this changed with recent builds.

I'm running that board in my box, and it runs wonderfully. No need for a separate NIC or what have you, it works well out of the box. Has great features, and has been wonderfully stable for me over the last 4-6 months. It has my recommendation.

Thanks for that - order going in today :)

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Hi speeding_ant - quick question (or anybody else running this board in an unRAID system)...

What other hardware are you running in your build.  I'm getting quite a lot of lockups on mine when writing to it (one every day or so), and several parity check errors.  Trying to nail down if any of my hardware is faulty/incompatible.

Thanks

Hi there,

Hi speeding_ant - quick question (or anybody else running this board in an unRAID system)...

What other hardware are you running in your build.  I'm getting quite a lot of lockups on mine when writing to it (one every day or so), and several parity check errors.  Trying to nail down if any of my hardware is faulty/incompatible.

Thanks

I'm running a NVDIA 7300gs, an E2180 Intel Core Duo, a Zalman PSU 550W, and three Seagate TB drives. Are the parity check errors coming from just one drive or all? Have you tried running memtest for a few days?

I'm running a NVDIA 7300gs, an E2180 Intel Core Duo, a Zalman PSU 550W, and three Seagate TB drives. Are the parity check errors coming from just one drive or all? Have you tried running memtest for a few days?

Thanks for that.  I don't know where the parity errors are coming from yet - good point.

I left memtest running for the weekend.  It got through 173 times with 0 errors.  This is at work though and it was crashing at home.  I've just added two more drives so I'll start putting it under load again and see what happens.