MakeMKV Slackware Package - Dev Help

Can someone with a slackware dev setup make a binary package for MakeMKV?

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.37/multimedia/makemkv/

I'd do it myself but I don't have a slackware rig other than my production unRAID box. Last time I tried to install gcc on the unRAID box it totally screwed up a few plugins (at least Plex from memory).

I'm planning on using this to remux my ISOs into .mkv containers for streaming to Plex. It's a pretty common issue and I'm surprised I can't find anything (other than HandBrake [not interested in re-encoding]) ready to go to do this on the server. Theoretically this should be all I need to turn my unRAID server into a DVD ripping station.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FYI unraid does not include any DVD drivers so you couldn't rip DVDs directly in unraid as any DVD drives will not be recognized. This would mean you would have to rip them to ISO on some other computer first, at which point you might as well just use MakeMKV on that computer.

Thanks - I don't have an optical drive in my unRAID tower. I wanted to use MakeMKV to convert a couple DVD ISOs I already have on my array into a form that's better suited for XBMC.

Sorry, my post was directed at the original poster. It sounds like he wants to be able to rip DVDs directly in unraid which is not possible.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What do I need to do with this package to get makeMKV running on unRAID?  I just want to convert .iso files to mkv files, directly on the unRAID box.  I don't want to have to copy them to my laptop convert, then copy back, and running makeMKV on the laptop is running at about .5X, since I can only connect with wifi on this machine.

Thanks.

You just need to download the package and install using the "installpkg" command... The CLI usage is available on the MakeMKV website, as is info where to enter the registration code. Note I haven't included a registration code in the package... If you want to add it in the package you download do some research into "explodepkg". If you restart your sever the 30 day trial for blurays will reset.

Alex

Thanks for the link.  Sadly, it means little to me.

I was looking for something like installpkg [filename] -whatever switches are needed to get it installed to a location in unRAID that won't be erased upon rebooting.

None of what you linked helps me with any of that.

As far as using a HUGE amount of resources if installed in a VM; I'm not really sure why it would use any more resources in a VM than installed directly on the host.

I guess I just can't/won't use makeMKV at this point in time.  Once I have v6 running, I'll search harder into how to install it in a 'regular' Linux build, and go that route.

Oh well.  Thanks for trying to help.

If you place the package in /boot/extra then it is installed on every boot. After that the only files which remember user preferences are contained within the package file above ( for example app_key and title weighting). If you use either explodepkg on your unraid machine or 7-Zip on a remote machine it's easy to modify the files so they are installed everytime with your individual preferences.

If your planning to run a VM anyway then no, MakeMKV will make no difference... It was only if you were planning to install a VM purely for MakeMKV as the GUI is just a wrapper for Makemkvcon the CLI application :)

Okay, that didn't work either :(

I put makemkv-1.8.7-i486-1_SBo.tgz into the folder /boot/extra, which I had to create, since it didn't exist.  Then I ran...

root@media:~# cd /boot/extra

root@media:/boot/extra# install pkg makemkv-1.8.7-i486-1_SBo.tgz

and got...

install: cannot stat `pkg': No such file or directory

So I then unzipped that package to makemkv-1.8.7-i486-1_SBo.tar and ran...

root@media:/boot/extra# install pkg makemkv-1.8.7-i486-1_SBo.tar

and got...

install: cannot stat `pkg': No such file or directory

Is there anyone that can tell me, EXACTLY what one needs to do to get this installed?  Assume a 3rd grader with NO KNOWLEDGE of unRAID or linux, but can follow specific instructions exactly.

I do have some knowledge, but the vague instructions have not been enough at this point :(

In addition to getting the package 'installed', some clarification on this would be much appreciated...

If you use ... 7-Zip on a remote machine it's easy to modify the files so they are installed everytime with your individual preferences.

Thanks.

Wow, that was stupid of me! :(

I got it installed, but I see nothing new to allow me to use it.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to spend more time learning how to just convert an .iso to a mkv that the time I'll save by avoiding doing the 'work' on the laptop, over wireless.

I've looked, but I can't find any 'how to' use makemkv with this method of install.  There seems to be no GUI, and the CLI information linked above is not newbie friendly.  it shows all the switches, but there's no good 'starting point'.  Where do I tell makemkv to find the iso file, where do I tell it to use my profile for selecting streams (the advanced tab in the windows GUI), where do I tell it to output the final mkv, etc.

I guess I'm going to just have to uninstall this and wait until I go to v6 :(

Thanks for the help so far.

The general context for converting an ISO to MKV is :

makemkvcon mkv file:/path/to/file.iso all /path/to/mkv/folder/ --minlength=600 --progress=-same.

There is a post by mike_admin on how to edit your default profile settings in a CLI enviroment, I'm at work at the minute so cant access it.

Once youve decided on the weightings you want to use, from a windows machine ( or similar for mac / linux) access //server/location/of/package. Open with 7Zip and you should be shown the makemkv install files. Find the location as detailed on the makemkv website for the default location ( from the top of my head /usr/.Makemkv/default.xxx ). Edit this file in Notepad++ or a suitable editor, save and let 7Zip add the modified file to the achive.

Once this is done, everytime the package is installed it will copy the modified files to the required locations, and as such will have your individual preferences.

Alex

• 1 month later...

I'm trying the makemkvcon to convert all BD so it cam be used in plex, I have no success, but starting to compile 1.8.9, but is was not so easy , but finally I have a packages!

going to try this and see if it works better.........., if some one is interested of a x64 packages(1.8.9), I can make a link to it, it's also needed some extra packages to be installed properly

But the best should be if plex manage the BD folders.

Anyone knows if there is a way to get plex recognition BD folders when scanning the movies ???

//Peter

Its' works great, now I like to see if it's possible to make a script to convert more blu rays in one batch...

For example I have these BD folders ( see below), and I want to make all these to MKV and save the MKV in each main folder

Anyone that feels to contribute ?

drwxrwxrwx  5 peter  users  128 Sep  7  2013 Fast.and.Furious.6.2013.BluRay.1080p.AVC.DTS-HD.MA5.1/
drwxrwxrwx  3 peter  users  264 Sep 20 19:08 Penthouse\ North\ 2013\ 1080p\ Blu-ray\ AVC\ DTS-HD\ MA\ 5.1-HDWinG]/
drwxrwxrwx  4 peter  users  264 Sep 20 19:09 Side\ Effects\ Blu-ray/
drwxrwxrwx  4 peter  users  296 Sep 20 19:09 Star.Trek.Into.Darkness.BD25/
drwxrwxrwx  4 peter  users  264 Sep 20 19:09 The\ Place\ Beyond\ the\ Pines\ Blu-ray/
drwxrwxrwx  4 peter  users  264 Sep 20 19:09 The\ Iceman/
drwxrwxrwx  4 peter  users  296 Oct  5 13:56 Now.You.See.Me.EXTENDED.VERSION.2013.BD25.REENCODED.VIDEO.DTSHD/
drwxrwxrwx 23 nobody users 1216 Nov  8 17:13 ../
drwxrwxrwx 12 peter  users  672 Mar  1 18:56 ./
drwxrwxrwx  4 peter  users  232 Mar  1 18:57 Fair\ Game\ 2010/
drwxrwxrwx  4 peter  users  232 Mar  1 18:58 The.Counselor.UNRATED.EXTENDED.CUT.2013.BD25-EuReKA/
drwxrwxrwx  4 peter  users  232 Mar  1 18:59 The.Worlds.End.2013.1080p.BluRay.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1-PublicHD/