Unable to Reconnect to Other computers (solved)

Returned home after 3 weeks. Had shut down all electronics in house prior to leaving. Started everything up, beginning with modem and then router. Booted all computers, including unRAID box. None of the other computers will connect to unRAID box, though they will network to each other. I can get to Management Utility on unRAID box from all other computers using browser, either by putting in //tower or //TCPIP. I can ping the unRAID box from command prompt on all other computer. Though the other boxes list "TOWER" under Network on Computer page, double clicking on it returns an unable to connect message. Windows network diagnostic tool says that the device is available but does not support what I am attempting to do and that the device or resource (TOWER) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and print sharing (SMB)." I have experienced no problems with my unRAID box prior to shutting it down for three weeks. I am using 4.7 pro. What have I goofed up? I have rebooted all of the boxes numerous times.

I cannot. I receive the same error message when inputtting \\192.168.0.110 as when imputting \\tower or duble clicking tower from the Network category of the Computer page. In rereading my original post, I see that I failed to mention that all of the other boxes in my network, other than the unRAID box are, Windows 7. 

I cannot. I receive the same error message when inputtting \\192.168.0.110 as when imputting \\tower or duble clicking tower from the Network category of the Computer page. In rereading my original post, I see that I failed to mention that all of the other boxes in my network, other than the unRAID box are, Windows 7.

Take a look at these last two lines in your syslog:

Aug  2 18:32:11 Tower in.telnetd[2481]: connect from 192.168.0.111 (192.168.0.111)

Aug  2 18:32:59 Tower login[2482]: ROOT LOGIN  on `pts/0' from `192.168.0.111'

It would appear that you established a putty connection to 192.168.0.111 not 192.168.0.110

I am no expert but I suspect that fro some reason, your server is set up to respond on 192.168.0.111

• 1 month later...

Returned home after 3 weeks. Had shut down all electronics in house prior to leaving. Started everything up, beginning with modem and then router. Booted all computers, including unRAID box. None of the other computers will connect to unRAID box, though they will network to each other. I can get to Management Utility on unRAID box from all other computers using browser, either by putting in //tower or //TCPIP. I can ping the unRAID box from command prompt on all other computer. Though the other boxes list "TOWER" under Network on Computer page, double clicking on it returns an unable to connect message. Windows network diagnostic tool says that the device is available but does not support what I am attempting to do and that the device or resource (TOWER) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and print sharing (SMB)." I have experienced no problems with my unRAID box prior to shutting it down for three weeks. I am using 4.7 pro. What have I goofed up? I have rebooted all of the boxes numerous times.

Back on August 1, I posted the above message. I must not have posted it in such a way as to have elicited help. I have free time again and am trying to get my server back online. I am experiencing exactly the same problem as before. The server has been off now for aobut five weeks. Since I am able to get to the browser interface with the server, I was able to shut it down from the Server Management Utility. The notepad file includes a syslog and an approximation of the message which windows gives me when I try to diagnose the reason why the contents of the tower are not available to the other computers on the network.

I do not know what else to say other than please help .

syslog9-20-2012.txt

indeed, your flash has errors.

Sep 20 21:40:27 Tower kernel: FAT: Filesystem error (dev sde1)
Sep 20 21:40:27 Tower kernel:     fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 1168401)
Sep 20 21:40:27 Tower kernel:     fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 1168401)

Also, is your tower named TOWER or TOWSER ?  ???

indeed, your flash has errors.

Also, is your tower named TOWER or TOWSER ?  ???

Thank you. I will shut down the server and run checkdisk. Way back when I purchased unRAID Pro, I did buy two keys. I have the other flash drive, with the other key, somewhere. I could dig that out and update it to the current version and plug it in, as well, to see if the the flash drive in the unit now is the problem.

And it is TOWER and not TOWSER. Clumbsy old fingers sometimes do not type so well. When TOWER is used in the browser, I am able to access the Management Utility with no problem.

Thank you for your help. After shutting down the unRAID server from the Management Utility and removing the flash drive and plugging it into another computer and running CHKDSK with "automatically fix file system errors" checked and removing flash drive from other computer after "ejecting" it and putting flash drive back in unRAID server and starting server up, all is well. All of the other boxes in the house connect to unRAID server with no problems. Again, thank you!