Fully Functional Rackmount 24 Bay Server (Alternative to Norco 4224, 4220, ect.)

Guys,

There have been a couple of deal that have come along similar to this in the past, but none requires so little modification as this one. A fully functional Supermicro server!!! This unit uses 80mm fans so it is pretty easy to just swap out the fans that are included, and maybe swap the PSU if it too loud for you.

NO CUTTING REQUIRED. Loosen a couple of screws and you are good to go!

All for 299!!!! :o

Here is the link to the forum posts over on AVS forum about it. A couple of users have documented in great clarity the procedure for replacing the PSU, which honestly required Minimal effort.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412640/are-you-looking-for-a-less-expensive-norco-4220-4224-alternative

Read up on this and don't let this deal slip buy. I will provide the contact info to purchase these as it is buried in the 20 pages on AVS.

Tamsolutions

[email protected]

801-796-1696

Shoot them a email or call them, Talk to Andy or Jason and let them know you found the info here on the limetech forum.

Also, to be clear, I am in no way affiliated with TAMS, but I couldn't keep this deal to myself. I have received so much info from this forum, I figure its the least I could do to give back.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this unit running in its stock configuration in my garage and it is awesome!!! The PSU is probably the loudest parts in the device and that is quieter than the 120mm delta fans in my 4224.

For under the price of a Norco case you get a fully functional unit!!

I know the objects to most of these is the sound, but the PSU's in this are 40mm fans, not 20mm, and the PSU can be replaced in about 10 minutes.

Also, I have already confirmed that these run UnRAID 5.0B14. Loaded a trial key up last night and was copying data ect without issue.

Shipping seems to range between 60 and 100. It doesn't seem like they are gouging on shipping, which is refreshing. The units are extremely well packaged and the box ends up being pretty big.

Their service has also been stellar. One of the units I ordered had one bad power supply. After some basic verification of troubleshooting technique, they have sent out a replacement PSU.

The best thing to do will be to call them and let them know you are calling about the server posted here. You can email them, but it seems like they have been overloaded with requests for these units.

These units are totally worth it, prices even after shipping for a fully functional unRaid unit are under the cost of any 24bay server case I have seen.

If you are now on a waiting list for the new Supermicro 4Us and or contemplating if you really need 24 bays :D

TamSolutions has a Supermicro 2U (12bay) as well.

Here are the specs:

Supermicro SAS826TQ

Supermicro X7SBE

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz

Kingston 4GB RAM

(1) Supermicro SAT2-MV8

(2) 800 watt PSU (redundant)

All This For $189.00!!!

If you would like one of these machines before they are sold out... give TamSolutions a call at 801-796-1696... they only have about 17 or so left in stock!

The case fans in this machine are the same as the ones in the 4Us and are very loud... but they too can be very easily replaced with virtually silent fans.

The PSU fans are also much quieter than the ones that come with the 4U.

I have one of these machines as well... so if you have any questions... I would be glad to help.

Just thought I would share.

Was just about to Update this  litlgi74. Looks like you beat me too it!!! LOL :D

The 2U is a great starter solution. Pair that bad boy with a LacRac and you have got a nice little set-up in the office.

That board is also pretty popular for unraid builds. Could probably fit a couple drives on the inside of the case two with some clever modding. You could get to the potential 21 drive limit.

Is there any way you possibly could post some pictures? I was getting ready to put the finishing touches on my server in the next week or two, but this set up has piqued my interest over a tower case.

The only question I can think of at the moment is if the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 processor is OK to use for transcoding? It's not a make or break option, mostly a minor thing since both myself and my roommate have iPads and the ability would be nice.

Now if only they had a 16 bay option. :)

Thanks for the information and update.

Is there any way you possibly could post some pictures? I was getting ready to put the finishing touches on my server in the next week or two, but this set up has piqued my interest over a tower case.

The only question I can think of at the moment is if the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 processor is OK to use for transcoding? It's not a make or break option, mostly a minor thing since both myself and my roommate have iPads and the ability would be nice.

Now if only they had a 16 bay option. :)

Thanks for the information and update.

There are two units available. They have a 24 bay option and a 12bay option. Follow the link earlier in the thread as litlgi74 has done some extensive photo taking and has posted these pics over on AVS forum.

The cases alone on these things are worth the money. The 12bay unit has a board that currently retails for more than the price of the entire unit.

For most people the 2u units is probably sufficient, especially if you are starting from scratch. If you used all 3tb Drives and 5.0 you would have over 30tb of data at your fingertips. You could even install a 2.5inch drive caddy in one of the free expansion slots and use the 2.5 as a cache drive.

I find that 2u unit very interesting. I see there are no fans at the rear of the case to vent the hot air. Does it rely solely on the front 80mm fans to push the air through? Is there a place for rear fans? What is the case used? Can it fit a standard PSU? Standard rails? This would sit in my office fairly close to me. I need it as quite as possible. Does the Core 2 Duo E8400 throttle down when it doesn't need full power just to serve files? Does this board work properly with WOL and standby?

I find that 2u unit very interesting. I see there are no fans at the rear of the case to vent the hot air. Does it rely solely on the front 80mm fans to push the air through? Is there a place for rear fans? What is the case used? Can it fit a standard PSU? Standard rails? This would sit in my office fairly close to me. I need it as quite as possible. Does the Core 2 Duo E8400 throttle down when it doesn't need full power just to serve files? Does this board work properly with WOL and standby?

Yes, the SuperMicro 826 only uses the three 80mm fans and the two fans in the power supplies.  I have two of these cases. I have replaced the fans with quieter fans and I have no cooling problems whatsoever.

You cannot use a standard power supply. You need to use the redundant power supplies that are included.

You also have to use the SuperMicro rails made specifically for this case. There are no "universal" rails for this case.

For completely silent operation, the 4u case with a standard PSU would do the trick.

litlgi74 has a detailed walkthrough of the PSU replacement process, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412640/are-you-looking-for-a-less-expensive-norco-4220-4224-alternative

You will need to replace the PSU, 80MM Fans and the CPU cooler. You can use standard 4 pin 80mm fans. It seems the PSU fans are the loudest as they are 40mm fans. litlgi74 has also posted audio clips of that same case using lower wattage PSU's that greatly reduce the audio levels.

The 2u case is to short to use a standard ATX PSU internally, but as others have stated, the fans are 80MM. The PSU's on these units are about half the db level of the 4u PSU's at full load.

Here is the post with audio levels http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412640/are-you-looking-for-a-less-expensive-norco-4220-4224-alternative/600#post_22304676

Here you go: 4U version :http://forum.thegioimaychu.vn/chassis-server-case/255-review-chassis-supermicro-sc846tq-r900-giai-phap-luu-tru-24tb.html

Thanks for the link. I should have been more specific, sorry. I was actually looking for pics on the the 2U 12bay version, but I think I found some by searching Google for the Supermicro 826. This is of course unless you have pics of the actual set up they are selling. I was curious what the inside looks like with all the components installed. Either way, thanks. :)

You also have to use the SuperMicro rails made specifically for this case. There are no "universal" rails for this case.

Not having seen the server, I can't say for sure, but the rails I am using will fit anything roughly rectangular in shape that fit in a rack... Surely these would work if the Supermicro rails are more expensive (Again, no clue. Just throwing out options :))

My Norco 4224 isn't bolted onto the rails, it just sits on them in the rack, but the server doesn't budge without a serious expenditure of force, so I am not concerned... Not to say it couldn't be bolted in, just lazy... :)

EDIT: Also using the rails for my UPS

Not having seen the server, I can't say for sure, but the rails I am using will fit anything roughly rectangular in shape that fit in a rack... Surely these would work if the Supermicro rails are more expensive (Again, no clue. Just throwing out options :))

My Norco 4224 isn't bolted onto the rails, it just sits on them in the rack, but the server doesn't budge without a serious expenditure of force, so I am not concerned... Not to say it couldn't be bolted in, just lazy... :)

EDIT: Also using the rails for my UPS

Those aren't really rails per se. Those are more shelves. Those will be universal to any hardware, but the true rails allow you to bring the unit out quite a bit more because they are seated inside the exterior rails. A shelf like that is great for items that are completely removed before working on them. If you need to pull the unit out more than half way though, gravity will take over and the unit will fall over. With true rails, you can bring the unit out a bit without worrying about the unit falling out.