Fully Functional Rackmount 24 Bay Server (Alternative to Norco 4224, 4220, ect.)

Thanks guys! Even at $300 what a sweet freakin deal. I went ahead and emailed them last week and got an email tonight from the guy that forwarded it to another guy asking him to respond to me in the morning. I'll go ahead and get my name on the list and pray the wife doesn't kill me when I pull the trigger. I have a spot in the basement that would work out great for this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually just received mine today.  I had my name on the waiting list ever since I missed the very first round.  It is now $300 instead of $200, but it was still a good deal as shipping was less than $60.  They are located in Utah and I'm in Los Angeles and the monster weighs in at a packaged weight of 66lbs!!  They really pack it well.  I haven't had the chance to test it yet, but overall, it looks very clean.  It even still has most of the clear plastic cover.  I'd consider myself a bit OCD and even I'm fairly impressed with the quality/cleanliness.  Also, Andy at TAMSolutions is awesome and extremely responsive.

I'm a happy customer. +1  ;D

I actually just received mine today.  I had my name on the waiting list ever since I missed the very first round.  It is now $300 instead of $200, but it was still a good deal as shipping was less than $60.  They are located in Utah and I'm in Los Angeles and the monster weighs in at a packaged weight of 66lbs!!  They really pack it well.  I haven't had the chance to test it yet, but overall, it looks very clean.  It even still has most of the clear plastic cover.  I'd consider myself a bit OCD and even I'm fairly impressed with the quality/cleanliness.  Also, Andy at TAMSolutions is awesome and extremely responsive.

Does it look like an ATX PSU will fit in there somewhere?

Good news for those on the waiting list

TAMSolutions is expecting to receive part of a new order of servers tomorrow that should take care of most.... if not all of the people on the current waiting list!

Jason from TAMS told me that the new shipment of servers should be very similar to the Supermicros mentioned in this thread... He will give me more specifics tomorrow when they arrive.

Jason also told me that the new units will go through the same check in and testing procedures of the past... So a slight delay will be necessary to insure that the units are properly working before they are shipped.

These new units will more than likely be sold just as quickly as previous batches... One customer on the last waiting list purchased 16 units for himself!

I will post more detailed updates just as soon as I receive them.

It's gonna be an early Christmas for a lot people really soon!

Does it look like an ATX PSU will fit in there somewhere?

Following the instructions from AVSForum: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412640/are-you-looking-for-a-less-expensive-norco-4220-4224-alternative a normal ATX power supply should fit just fine.

Good news for those on the waiting list

TAMSolutions is expecting to receive part of a new order of servers tomorrow that should take care of most.... if not all of the people on the current waiting list!

Jason from TAMS told me that the new shipment of servers should be very similar to the Supermicros mentioned in this thread... He will give me more specifics tomorrow when they arrive.

Jason also told me that the new units will go through the same check in and testing procedures of the past... So a slight delay will be necessary to insure that the units are properly working before they are shipped.

These new units will more than likely be sold just as quickly as previous batches... One customer on the last waiting list purchased 16 units for himself!

I will post more detailed updates just as soon as I receive them.

It's gonna be an early Christmas for a lot people really soon!

Yea, and I bet that guy who purchased 16 units parted and resold a good portion of them.

I'm actually considering purchasing a second or third one just in case any components go bad.  When replacing a single component in the case comes out to almost the same cost as an entire unit, might as well buy the whole thing, right?

Yea, and I bet that guy who purchased 16 units parted and resold a good portion of them.

I'm actually considering purchasing a second or third one just in case any components go bad.  When replacing a single component in the case comes out to almost the same cost as an entire unit, might as well buy the whole thing, right?

I agree...  have three :)

• 3 weeks later...

I would be interested in buying one of these... Please let me know if that's an option!

Thanks,

Mat

You have to send them an email and get put on the waiting list which is quite long.  I was put on the list back in December but have yet to receive an email saying they are available.

I saw a post recently, might have been on AVS, about the general specs of three different options TAMS was offering.  I can't seem to find it now.  Anyone know what the current specs are on the servers TAMS is getting?  I believe there were 2 AMD options and 1 Intel option. 

Either way, can ESXI be run on the known versions of the setup, or is a new board and cpu required to get there?

Thanks,

Jeff

Here is the specs:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26227.0

Sorry, you will need to put a new cpu and mb and RAM into it for optimum ESXi operations. 

There are other reasons you will want to do it too.  Power usage on these is about 260 watts minimum, while the current SB or IB Xeons with a X9-SCM mb with a good PS will bring you down to 60 watts at idle.  You will notice it on your electrical bill. The other reason to do a mod is to reduce noise.  See more about power usage here.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=20913.msg198165#msg198165

• 1 month later...

I have a question regarding the 4U SC846 chassis I recently gotten last week. Can anyone tell me what the proper mounting rail kit is for the 4U chassis? I had picked up the rail kit which was MCP-290-00058-0N, but I have a feeling its the wrong set. I believe the MCP-290-00057-0N is the correct one but I need to be sure. Does anyone have a pic of these rails mounted to the chassis? Thanks!

I got the MCP-290-0057-0N rail kit but is does not fit. I believe this and MCP-290-0058-0N fit on the newer versions of the SC846. I could be wrong but it looks like we are looking for MCP-290-0014-00 instead. Did a quick search but came up empty. If I find one I'll post it here, please do the same.

Thanks, but that's where it lists both MCP-290-00057-0N and MCP-290-00058-0N, with a note indicating rev. K or higher. Maybe these servers are pre rev K, hence these brackets don't fit.

Has anybody actually have rails installed on theirs? If so what is the part number?