Small A/C Server Cabs?

musicmann

Can anyone recommend a half-height, air-conditioned server cabinet? 

Just moved, and I'd like to move my unRAID out of my guest closet.  I have un-conditioned attic space that I would like to cable and move my unRAID to, but I'm having trouble finding a suitable server rack/cabinet to put my machine in.  I've done a ton of searching, but am not finding good solutions. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone recommend a half-height, air-conditioned server cabinet? 

Just moved, and I'd like to move my unRAID out of my guest closet.  I have un-conditioned attic space that I would like to cable and move my unRAID to, but I'm having trouble finding a suitable server rack/cabinet to put my machine in.  I've done a ton of searching, but am not finding good solutions. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks in advance.

That is an expensive option though.. Is it really that hot in that room ?

I wouldn't say expensive.  The A/C unit is 200-300 $, if there is no window for the exhaust, then cut a whole through the wall and put a dryer vent through so that its capped on the outside properly.  Simple really.  If your not good with doing things like that, find a contractor that will do it for cash and shouldn't be expensive (no more than 1-2hrs of work).

The problem i have with doing something like this is that an attic is not meant to be conditioned.  It is meant to stay the same temp (or darn near it) as the outside world.

If you do decide to do this you are going to want to exhaust the AC outside the attic so that moisture does not build up and cause the underside of the plywood roof to mold.  If that happens you have more problems on your hands.

The problem i have with doing something like this is that an attic is not meant to be conditioned.  It is meant to stay the same temp (or darn near it) as the outside world.

If you do decide to do this you are going to want to exhaust the AC outside the attic so that moisture does not build up and cause the underside of the plywood roof to mold.  If that happens you have more problems on your hands.

Yes... and no... depends on the attic.  My brother's house has a furnished/finished attic (so really, no traditional crawl space attic.).  A properly vented attic shouldn't have an issue.

Really, not a place I would put a computer regardless... be the question was asked.  The only other way to do it would be to get an enclosed (air tight) area where you draw in air from outside, cool it, blow over your systems, then exhaust back outside another vent.  But I would guess that is far from what this person is looking to do.