setup Share advice for TimeMachine

Hi guys, I have a iMac now and need to setup a TimeMachine share.  I'm not a mac guy so I would like to get feedback on how to configure the share on the unraid.  I'm on v5 rc6 TEST.

I set this up with the following so far,

AFP protocal

Export = Yes (TimeMachine)

Security = Public

size limit = 500gb

Include Disk = All

Exclude = none

Use Cache drive = NO

Export SMB = NO

The iMac connected to the share and started the backup, then failed because it said the share wasn't available.  The drives may have gone to sleep before it had a chance to finish.

Also, when I created this share, it created some directories in my "Movies" share.  Why the hell would it do that?  I didn't want anything changed on my Movies share and found this weird.  I just deleted those directories to clean up my Movies share.

Thanks!

You should be able to back it up to any share you like. I found that you have to manually create the sparsebundle file on your mac and then copy it accross to the location you are going to back it up to (something to do with permissions and backing up to a non apple device)

You should be able to back it up to any share you like. I found that you have to manually create the sparsebundle file on your mac and then copy it accross to the location you are going to back it up to (something to do with permissions and backing up to a non apple device)

I've never had to do this. This is my procedure:

[*]Enable the TM share

[*]Select it in TM prefs

[*]Start backing up.

I've never had to do this. This is my procedure:

[*]Enable the TM share

[*]Select it in TM prefs

[*]Start backing up.

I upgraded my unRAID to 5.0 this morning.  This was the exact procedure I followed and my Mac is backing up now.  Make sure if you specify a size, realize that the field is in MEGABYTES, not GIGABYTES.  I started off with a 1GB TimeMachine share. Obviously that didnt get me very far.

I have a question about this. I dedicated an entire disk for time machine backups. I excluded this disk from shares. Is there anything else I should do?

On a related note. While playing with shares, I created a share called time machine and got it working with time machine but it got borked somehow. There's an Apple .db file I can't delete and thus I'm not able to delete the share. Any help on how to delete this share?

TapTap

I have a question about this. I dedicated an entire disk for time machine backups. I excluded this disk from shares. Is there anything else I should do?

On a related note. While playing with shares, I created a share called time machine and got it working with time machine but it got borked somehow. There's an Apple .db file I can't delete and thus I'm not able to delete the share. Any help on how to delete this share?

TapTap

Try rebooting the server, and then deleting the file.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Morning,

I bought a new 3TB drive for my unraid server in order to use it as exclusive TM drive. I would like to backup two Macs on it. Hence, I created two different new user shares for that purpose according to the settings you mentioned above. Both new shares are restricted to that one disk.

My question is, how can I set a maximum size for one of the two new shares? One of the new shares should not grow bigger than 500gb, the rest of the hard drive should be used for the second share.

Hope someone can help me with an answer.

Best wishes, Chris

• 2 months later...

I get this from time to time... try rebooting the mac.  After a reboot, mine always connects and does the backup just fine.

I tried several reboots without any success. Then it randomly found the share again and started backing up. It completed successfully for now. We'll see if I continue to have connection issues.

Don't use user shares is my advice. Performance is degraded.

I personally used to TM straight to a disk I'd shared via AFP. No user share involved.

Although I've dropped the use of TM on server disks as it isn't as useful as I'd always thought it was.

(Defragging a disk in order to shrink it triggered a complete back up as well as renaming a 100GB folder causing it to back that up too!!)

TM is ok for small files (all it is allowed to do now) but not for archiving (Carbon Copy Cloner for that).