[SOLVED] Computer boots with M1015 installed, but doesn't detect it! Help

Ok,

i'm building my first unraid server.

I bought an M1015 card, and installed it in my other PC.  After installing the M1015, the PC doesnt boot.

I'm installing it on my PC to flash it to IT mode.

I tried changing the PCIe slot, and still didnt work.

There are two LED indicators on the card, and its on with orange.

I really

Update on 19.09.2012

I ended up buying a new Dell Perc H200, as my M1015 appeared to be damaged.

...does your PC do a POST?

What is the error message that comes with your problem "does nor boot"?

Maybe the box is just not finding a bootable disk?

Enter mobo bios and double check that your disks are there and that boot-order is set to the right disk.

In addition, enter M1015 BIOS and disable INT13H there, so the box will not try and boot from the M1015.

...that does not like an easy thing....do you have a CPU with intel GPU on it?

I'd prepare a USB DOS Boot stick, pull all cards and set BIOS to conservative settings (disable all GPU Boost, extra SATA, USB3 and stuff/gizmos alike, enable iGPU as default VGA).

When the box boots from USB into DOS, shutdown and start with the M1015...only insert the M1015 and try a slot after the other.

Check what slot to use...you need a good port with x4, I'd say. (I read from the manual that the PCIe_3 (black slot) is only x1 by default).

Ford Perfect,

Tried that, didnt work.

Now, I almost completed by server building, which is X9SCM-IIF (BIOS Version 2.0).

I was planning to flash to IT mode (M1015) on this setup, but when i install the card, the computer doesn't POST.

what am i doing wrong?

Update

I change some settings in BIOS, now the server can POST with the card installed, but it takes me to a black screen, with a summary of my motherboard and CPU, then it says "press "Del" or "F2" to enter setup, and when i do, it's stuck, nothing happens.

any idea?

That pic above looks like the X9SCM board with the card installed right?  What are you trying to do here, use the X9 to flash the M1015 or the other motherboard you mentioned?  Sorry, your information is a little confusing. 

Just a note that with the X9, you should have that M1015 in one of the top two slots (the ones that are vacant at the moment) as they are the x8 slots.. obviously once you get the flashing sorted out.  If you are having no luck booting to USB from either motherboard with the M1015 installed, then I'd suggest trying to get access to another PC to flash it in.  My Asus P6X58D Premium works fine for flashing M1015's, and that's with a 6990 graphics card present... the only requirement is that I have to set the motherboard PCIe slots to x16, x16, x1 (it doesn't work in the default X16, x8, x8) and put the GFX card in PCIe slot #2, with the M1015 in slot #1.

That pic above looks like the X9SCM board with the card installed right?  What are you trying to do here, use the X9 to flash the M1015 or the other motherboard you mentioned?  Sorry, your information is a little confusing. 

Hi Beta,

Yes exactly, I'm trying to flash the card to IT mode.

Hmmm...I think what BetaQuasi is trying to tell you is that flashing the M1015 does not always work with all motherboards.

The X9SCM is known to give trouble at best (only some have managed to flash an M1015 using UEFI, a vanilla set-up with flash via DOS did never work AFAIK).

...so try with you other mobo, try the X9SCM with UEFI (there are other posts here regarding that) or it is time visit a friend ;-)

BTW: where did you source the M1015 from...can you confirm that it worked with its current MegaRAID BIOS in a box at all?

Hi

I updated the title, since i passed the issue of PC not booting up.

The progress I had today was, that when I installed the card on the top most PCIe slot (the new system i build with SuperMicro motherboard X9SCM-IIF), the computers starts, but when i try to run the commands of the USB, it seems it's not detecting the card.

As mentioned, since day one till now, 2 orange LEDs are on when the card installed, and 3 small LEDs, which is green.

M1015, can you share if your cards have the same lights, or difference ones?

This is REALLY a hectic task, If I knew, I would have paid extra to get the card ready and flashed to IT.

I'm stuck on this project now at this stage.

I tested this package http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=20761.0

When I boot via the USB, and try to run the command

megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin

I get

some message (forgot to write it), saying that it's in fusion mode

and the following error

SBR write failed
error code = 8192

I also tested madburg's MegaRAID (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.msg121131#msg121131)

I couldn't pass the first step (1.bat), it was giving me an error 0x01

Another test I did, i installed it on my home gaming PC few days back, and the PC was not POSTing.

But I tried today again, and used different slot, and this time, the PC started like usual (windows 7), and even windows didn't detect the card installed.  Is it suppose to or not?

Moreover, all my testing so far, I've been doing without any cables/HDDs attached to the card, I assumed this is the way.

Another test I did, i installed it on my home gaming PC few days back, and the PC was not POSTing.

But I tried today again, and used different slot, and this time, the PC started like usual (windows 7), and even windows didn't detect the card installed.  Is it suppose to or not?

Moreover, all my testing so far, I've been doing without any cables/HDDs attached to the card, I assumed this is the way.

Yes, no cables and no drives is fine.

Win7 does not have the drivers, but the card should be detected and show up in device manager.

In order to flash it under Win7 install the device drivers for MEGARaid first and check if Win7 sees the card all-right.

The MEGACLI utility should be able to list the card then....see here, first section: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.msg121131#msg121131

Also, the cards BIOS does not POST? It should prompt you for hitting CTRL-M or CTRL-C after your mobo has posted and it should output its state and version upon boot.

I cannot recall any orange lights to be lit with nothing connected to it....only green

Yes, no cables and no drives is fine.

Win7 does not have the drivers, but the card should be detected and show up in device manager.

In order to flash it under Win7 install the device drivers for MEGARaid first and check if Win7 sees the card all-right.

The MEGACLI utility should be able to list the card then....see here, first section: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.msg121131#msg121131

Also, the cards BIOS does not POST? It should prompt you for hitting CTRL-M or CTRL-C after your mobo has posted and it should output its state and version upon boot.

I cannot recall any orange lights to be lit with nothing connected to it....only green

Hi Ford,

If you look at the pictures i attached, on the back of the card, on the right of the text "Class-ICES-003", you will find two leds, those are orange as soon as i install the card on a PC (when started).

For the windows part, I wasnt actually trying to do it via windows, but I was trying to use that machine to boot to USB.  WHen the windows started, I just went into the device manager to see if it detected it, but it didnt.

I'm worried that the card is faulty....  :(

Hi Ford,

If you look at the pictures i attached, on the back of the card, on the right of the text "Class-ICES-003", you will find two leds, those are orange as soon as i install the card on a PC (when started).

For the windows part, I wasnt actually trying to do it via windows, but I was trying to use that machine to boot to USB.  WHen the windows started, I just went into the device manager to see if it detected it, but it didnt.

I'm worried that the card is faulty....  :(

...just checked with one of my spare M1015 in my desktop (where I flashed them with, a simple ASROCK AMD AM2 based board).

The orange LEDS are not lit...not at all.

I have a single green on the front-side, top-right, other end away from the slot...left of and above the 4 white jumpers/connectors labeled "Ext LED" is a small LED labeled CR1...that is flashing slowly.

Does the M1015 issue anything on the screen during POST/BOOT?...the BIOS version and basic configuration should come up.

If at least this is not happening, you might as well have a dead card.

Can you check with your supplier/source?

• 2 weeks later...

HiSoC8Y can you let me know what change you made in your BIOS?

I am trying to get my M1015 to work on my ASUS A75-V PRO but it wont post either.

Perhaps your changes can push me in the right direction

Update

I change some settings in BIOS, now the server can POST with the card installed, but it takes me to a black screen, with a summary of my motherboard and CPU, then it says "press "Del" or "F2" to enter setup, and when i do, it's stuck, nothing happens.

any idea?

HiSoC8Y can you let me know what change you made in your BIOS?

I am trying to get my M1015 to work on my ASUS A75-V PRO but it wont post either.

Perhaps your changes can push me in the right direction

Update

any idea?

If i'm not mistaken, it was something like "Force BIOS" or "Keep BIOS"