ABIT AB9 PRO Compatability

Hi there, I am in the process of building an unRAID server with the ABIT AB9 PRO.  I have read many places that the ABIT AB9 PRO is a finicky board and is very particular with what CPU/Memory is used in conjunction with it.

I was hoping those who have this running succesfully could tell me what CPU/Memory is being run with your board so that I can have the greatest possible chance of success when booting up the lovely unRAID server for the first time.  Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

I'm using OCZ DDR2 800 2x2GB with success. I did have to adjust the memory speed from 272MHZ to 266MHZ as it seemed to be slightly overclocked. After that everything was fine.

CPU = 2.6GHZ Duo Core 2 - I know it's overkill and I have it clocked down to 2.0Ghz, but the extra whoomp is there if I ever need it. I got a good deal(Steal) on eBay for a used CPU.

I may end up getting a conroe-L 2.0ghz just to save some power.

I haven't heard of any CPU compatibility problems with the board, but they do say memory can be a concern. In my experience, any name brand memory of the correct spec will work just fine. This is what I'm using in my unRAID server, works perfectly fine:

Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache 65W Dual-Core CPU

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 SDRAM Memory

But doesn't it automatically follow that if you buy DDR2 memory, it's also PC2-xxxx?

Yes, that is true, and it's easy when the retailer advertises both the DDR and the PC types.  However, I see places that primarily use one naming convention or the other, and mistakes could happen then.

I have been using AB9 PRO for 3 months now and did not have any problems with the CPU or Memory.

This is what i have:

Transcend JETRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model JM2GDDR2-8K

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6300

I use G.Skill memory in 3 different computers (2 Asus MB, and 1 Gigabyte MB), and have had very good luck.

As long as the memory is the right speed and volts, I would not hesitate to order it for this MB.

I have not heard of anyone using G.Skill memory with this board - so no postive or negative comments (at least that I can remember).

• 1 month later...

I put together my unRAID server back in April and this is the combo I used with my ABIT AB9 Pro:

CPU: Intel Pentium E2160 Allendale 1.8GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

I've had a lot of problems with this memory and in the process of returning the 3rd set. After returning the 1st kit, I was given a replacement. After the 2nd RMA, I was told it was discontinued, so I received a refund. Now the 3rd set is going back and I'm going to replace it with:

A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211066)

This seemed to be the best rated inexpensive memory at Newegg. Hopefully, I'll have better luck this time. Does anyone have experience with the A-DATA memory on this mobo?

I put together my unRAID server back in April and this is the combo I used with my ABIT AB9 Pro:

CPU: Intel Pentium E2160 Allendale 1.8GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

I've had a lot of problems with this memory and in the process of returning the 3rd set. After returning the 1st kit, I was given a replacement. After the 2nd RMA, I was told it was discontinued, so I received a refund.

This memory requires a voltage boots to 2.0v (the default is 1.8v).

In order for it to work properly, you'd have to manually adjust the memory voltage in your BIOS to 2.0v.  (Some motherboards make you select the voltage increase, in which case you'd have to select +0.2v).

You'd also want to verify that your timings were correctly set to 4-4-4-12 in the BIOS (some BIOS have problems getting the timings set properly from the SPD).  CAS4 memory is pretty fast stuff.

My guess is there was nothing wrong with the memory you returned.

Now the 3rd set is going back and I'm going to replace it with:

A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211066)

This seemed to be the best rated inexpensive memory at Newegg. Hopefully, I'll have better luck this time. Does anyone have experience with the A-DATA memory on this mobo?

This memory should work fine.  No BIOS adjustments required.  1.8v, timings 5-5-5-18.  These are pretty standard timings for basic memory.

Note there is no reason (unless you are WeeboTech) to buy premium RAM for an unRAID box.  But if you do want to get fast RAM for a high end workstation or gaming rig, pay special attention to the voltage and timings in BIOS.  Not all motherboards have voltage adjustments.  If this is the case, stay clear of memory that needs a voltage boost (like the Crucial memory listed above).

Also note that newer high performance RAM may have the timings set deliberately high (higher= slower) to prevent people that don't boost voltage from having a problem.  You have to manually set up the RAM to get the benefits.

Actually, Crucial Ballistx requires 2.2Volts !!  :o

Lately I use nothing but Crucial, but occasionally RMA's are required... I've had the same experience with others such as Corsair...

I wonder if this adds to the power requirements of the server?  ???

Note there is no reason (unless you are WeeboTech) to buy premium RAM for an unRAID box.

LOL!!!! Thanks Dude.  :D;D - Funny I was thinking of upgrading the ram on my unRAID box because I'm beating the hell out of it so bad it's under performing. (but that's another thread).  ;D

Actually, Crucial Ballistx requires 2.2Volts !!  :o

Lately I use nothing but Crucial, but occasionally RMA's are required... I've had the same experience with others such as Corsair...

Newegg site shows 2.0v.  Maybe they made a mistake.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148211

I agree that memory can be bad and need to be RMAed, but having 2 bad sets in a row?  Seems unlikely.  Also I think trying to install fast memory without adjusting BIOS settings is a very common mistake.

I wonder if this adds to the power requirements of the server?

I would say definitely, although maybe not a huge amount.  Perhaps a worse problem is that the memory will run hotter.

In order for it to work properly, you'd have to manually adjust the memory voltage in your BIOS to 2.0v.  (Some motherboards make you select the voltage increase, in which case you'd have to select +0.2v).

You'd also want to verify that your timings were correctly set to 4-4-4-12 in the BIOS (some BIOS have problems getting the timings set properly from the SPD).  CAS4 memory is pretty fast stuff.

My guess is there was nothing wrong with the memory you returned.

I had set the voltage to 2.2V, which is the value listed in the specification for this memory. I also changed all the timings to match 4-4-4-12. I did this for all three sets of memory that failed. If you check the Newegg comments, you'll see that many people were having trouble with this memory. It seemed to work great for a few months and then problems would occur. unRAID would function poorly and it would be impossible to get a syslog, so I'd reboot and run memtest and see a whole bunch of errors. I'd re-check the bios memory settings and everything looked correct. It could be the motherboard (even though I have the latest bios, etc.). If the new A-DATA memory fails, then I'm going to contact Abit.

Newegg site shows 2.0v.  Maybe they made a mistake.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148211

That's not the same memory I used. Mine was a 2x1GB kit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

I've taken to putting a small 50mm fan right on top of the 4 dimms in my machines... blowing down into the center of the memory sticks.... they do run quite hot and this REALLY cools them down considerably.... I also always attach a 40mm fan to the Northbridge heatsink as they run quite hot as well.... memory problems have lessened dramatically  ;)

Heat is a killer!  I don't have fans on my memory, but do have a small one on my NB. (This is on my workstation, not on my unRaid box). I also replaced the thermal compound with Artic Silver on the NB and SB.  And don't get me started on lapping the CPU and Scythe HSF. 

2.2v is a big voltage boost. G.Skill does CAS4 at 1.9 - 2.0v. Sounds like this particular memory should be avoided. Glad you knew to set BIOS settings.

• 3 months later...

Many of you have probably heard about this, but now it's official. Abit is going out of business as of 12/31/08.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08%2F12%2F20%2F2333209&from=rss

So far my AB9 PRO has been pretty trouble free. I was hoping to figure out how to take full advantage of its power saving features, like Wake On LAN, and hopefully can figure it out without needing Abit tech support.