[SOLVED] Help interpretting errors: reset high speed USB device & error -71

Recently I noticed the below errors in my syslog. I restarted my unRAID server & did not see them again right away... but they did come back.  Everything appears to be working fine, but the errors are appearing more frequently.

Sep  7 12:45:59 Lament kernel: usb 1-6: device descriptor read/all, error -71
Sep  7 12:45:59 Lament kernel: usb 1-6: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
Sep  7 12:46:31 Lament last message repeated XXXX times

XXXX varies. Is this message telling me the USB drive is going bad? I am not finding much on this error when I search.

I shut down unRAID. Removed the USB flash drive from unRAID & put it in my Windows 7 desktop system to run a chkdsk. No errors were found. I put the flash drive back in my unRAID system & started it up. Attached is the syslog from this startup. The errors are returning fairly quickly after a restart now.

My signature is up-to-date with my system information, I use several addons & run unRAID 5 beta 11. You can also find more info on my hardware from the link in my sig.

My main reason for this post is to try to determine if the error is related to a problem with the flash drive (or if it is likely to be addon related?). As chkdsk did not find errors & it is not a hard drive for me to run smart reports... are there other ways to check it?

I have not tried removing all my addons & going with the default go file. It is likely something I will try in the future to see if the error still happens... though if it is the drive going bad, the error would still occur. Is anyone familiar with this error?

syslog.txt

I saw that error shortly before my USB stick started completely dropping out. A reboot usually would bring it back online temporarily, but writes always triggered the error, and after a few minutes, it would just disappear like it was pulled out of the socket. I could get it to last longer by slowing it down to USB 1.1 specs, but it would never stay running for more than a few days. A new USB drive solved it, so I assume the drive went bad.

Everything seems to be working for now. I bought the flash drive in June of this year (& only one unRAID license). Considering the errors are becoming more frequent, I suspect I will actually have problems in the near future. Not comforting.

Thank you for letting me know, jonathanm.

Guess I will get another USB drive & see what I need to do to transfer my license (if I can) once the current one dies. I have my data / settings backed up.

Guess I will get another USB drive & see what I need to do to transfer my license (if I can) once the current one dies. I have my data / settings backed up.

Write to limetech and explain that your flash is dying and you bought a new one and want to transfer your license. 

Your problem is why I bought multiple licenses and flash drives at first.  So that I would have a spare while I waited to get a replacement for the bad one and transfer the license.  It is also why I got a SD reader later figuring the SD memory would die before the USB reader portion.  I had to get a specific type because I've tried several and they all had bad IDs (ether all zeros or a sequence that wasn't unique).  I ended up with a Kingston MobileLite G2 USB SD reader because the IDs are unique.

I ended up with a Kingston MobileLite G2 USB SD reader because the IDs are unique.

Is this the model that you found to work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139086

I like the idea of using a card reader.

Yes that's the model.  I like the deal you found.  When I bought mine I had to get the SD card separately.  I see that deals have been posted in the good deals forum for this SD reader as well.

I have ordered the card reader from the link & an internal USB header. My current USB drive was tiny & did not stick out past the indent of the motherboard. This card reader seems to be a little bigger, so inside the case it will go.

Yes it is large.  Mine is longer than my palm to the end of my index finger with the extension cable and without the cable it is almost as long as my ring finger.