IPMI command line version for Linux

tr0910

Is there a Linux command line version that would allow me to turn a server on?  I would like one unRaid box to turn another one on via IPMI.

I have several SuperMicro based servers that respond to Windows SuperMicro IPMI View allowing you to power up the server remotely.

(Older servers are based on SuperMicro x7dbe with added ipmi card, and newer one is MBD-X9SCM-F-O with IPMI built in)

Thanks, I too am no Linux guru.  Yes, I have tried via web browser, and the newer system works fine, but not the older one.  Regardless, I want to build a automated system that runs itself, with no need for me to do anything except monitor that it is still working.  Have it once per day wake up the backup server, and start the backup.

I found this but it looks a little abandoned with no recent changes.

http://ipmitool.sourceforge.net/

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.37/system/ipmitool/

This here looks promising too, but again not sure which one is best?

http://ipmiutil.sourceforge.net/

http://pkgs.org/download/ipmiutil

It doesn't look like anyone has tried this with unRaid yet?

For the ipmitool package you should be able to install it using installpkg

installpkg /path/to/package.txz

Then just type ipmiutil to see if it works.

If all your wanting is to turn on the backup server it should work regardless of if its been updated. I doubt Intel has changed the hex commands for basic functions. Id test for you but I don't have ipmi.

Did I do it right?

File was originally ipmitool.tar.gz, but I renamed it to end in tgz.  Perhaps that's not kosher.

root@Tower3:/boot# installpkg ipmitool.tgz
Verifying package ipmitool.tgz.
Installing package ipmitool.tgz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
WARNING:  Package has not been created with 'makepkg'
Package ipmitool.tgz installed.

root@Tower3:/boot# ipmitool
-bash: ipmitool: command not found
root@Tower3:/boot# ipmiutil
-bash: ipmiutil: command not found
root@Tower3:/boot#

Did I do it right?

File was originally ipmitool.tar.gz, but I renamed it to end in tgz.  Perhaps that's not kosher.

root@Tower3:/boot# installpkg ipmitool.tgz
Verifying package ipmitool.tgz.
Installing package ipmitool.tgz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
WARNING:  Package has not been created with 'makepkg'
Package ipmitool.tgz installed.

root@Tower3:/boot# ipmitool
-bash: ipmitool: command not found
root@Tower3:/boot# ipmiutil
-bash: ipmiutil: command not found
root@Tower3:/boot#

The command was right, the file was not. You'll need to create the slackware package for it. I thought the link to pkg.com was a link to a slack package.

If you go to the slackbuild link it will tell you how to make the package.

EDIT: On second thought, I looked at it and it requires a lot of missing packages. Someone will a full slack install would have to create the package, or you'll be chasing dependencies all night.

The command was right, the file was not. You'll need to create the slackware package for it. I thought the link to pkg.com was a link to a slack package.

If you go to the slackbuild link it will tell you how to make the package.

EDIT: On second thought, I looked at it and it requires a lot of missing packages. Someone will a full slack install would have to create the package, or you'll be chasing dependencies all night.

Thanks for catching that before I went crazy trying to make it work.  No I don't have a full slackware install.

Give this a try, I installed a full slackware in virtualbox to compile it. Should work.

It sure does work.  Real fine.  Just had one server start up the other with:

ipmitool -I lan -H 192.168.1.149 -U ADMIN -P ADMIN chassis power on

(I am using V5 rc6 test2 and V5 rc6 test on my servers currently)

Before running the above you need to to set up static ip address for the ipmi port and test with IPMI View:

I just downloaded the linux setup file from here:
ftp://supermicro.com/CDR-SIMIPMI_1.13_for_SIM_IPMI/IPMI_Solution/Utility/IPMICFG/Linux/ipmicfg-linux.x86.static

copied ipmicfg-linux.x86.static to the root of my flash drive that boots unraid.

./boot/ipmicfg-linux.x86.static

you can set your ip and mac address from there and you are good to go.

Here is how I did it:

reset IPMI to default settings:
./boot/ipmicfg-linux.x86.static -fd

list the current IP of the IPMI card:
./boot/ipmicfg-linux.x86.static -m

set the IP to something on my network:
./boot/ipmicfg-linux.x86.static -m 192.168.1.149

set the gateway/router:
./boot/ipmicfg-linux.x86.static -g 192.168.1.1

On my Windows 7 system, installed IPMIVIEW ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/utility/IPMIView/
If the direct IMPIVIEW link does not work (as I had to click through to accept SuperMicro's terms, try the right side of this page http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/IPMI.cfm under Resources, towards the bottom of Resources.

Once IPMIVIEW was installed & I had configured the server with the IPMICFG disk, I could use DISCOVERY to find my UnRAID server and it was at 192.168.1.149 just like I set it above.

(I copied the details required from different posts so need to credit the above to respective authors)

• 1 year later...

Semi-permanent home, I don't use dropbox often so I never get close to filling it up. If I ever do remove it I'll find a new home for the package and post an updated link.

I could really use this, but the Dropbox link doesn't work any more - any chance you (or someone else) could re-upload this somewhere?

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

same here. anyone got a compiled ipmiutil / ipmitool version for unraid 5.x?

I am still using the same one that he compiled for me.  It's working fine with latest v5, but I've not tested it with v6.

I'm not where I can access it right now, but PM me next week and I should have it.

my bad, I got confused with ether-wake since I happened to have been looking for it too (and that's what I'm using to wake up the PC now instead of ipmi). So in fact I don't have ipmitool for unraid. Hopefully tr0910 can still help you and upload it.

The only one I found that is still maintained for slackware is freeipmi for both 5 & 6.  But the package for 6 will break domains from auto starting and auto shutdown.  That's because it creates a directory in /etc which breaks the auto start script for domains It's /etc/sys??? Don't remember the name.  You just have to edit out the check for that directory in the rc.domains script or link the script in /etc/sys????

• 1 year later...

@BRiT

I believe I have the IPMI tool to which you refer already installed. While it is an excellent tool for reading the sensors, it does not provide the same functionality as this set of tools provided in Unraid v5. 

The feature I am looking for is the ability to power on a Supermicro x9scm-f motherboard.  WOL does not work on this motherboard.  However, these tools provide a CLI command to turn on the machine via IPMI. 

In looking through the signatures of some the most frequent posters, I noticed that many are using a similar Supermicro motherboard and thought I'd ask