unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc8a Available

limetech

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And just got a SAS error on one of my SAS2LP. Tested the drive in question thoroughly, no SMART errors. I just can't win with unRAID anymore, headache after headache. :(

I will replace the drive and see if it happens again...

That is what your sig is for, or even copy/paste from a nice little text file sitting in your docs.

Funny thing about that, I use to have it in there, and people still asked my h/w config. After upgrading my server, just removed it completely.

And just got a SAS error on one of my SAS2LP. Tested the drive in question thoroughly, no SMART errors. I just can't win with unRAID anymore, headache after headache. :(

That is what your sig is for, or even copy/paste from a nice little text file sitting in your docs.

Funny thing about that, I use to have it in there, and people still asked my h/w config. After upgrading my server, just removed it completely.

I think I had the same error with my sas2lp on 8a. It reballed one of my drives which I checked thoroughly afterwards with smart to find no issues. I have gone back to rc6 test2.

I think I had the same error with my sas2lp on 8a. It reballed one of my drives which I checked thoroughly afterwards with smart to find no issues. I have gone back to rc6 test2.

I removed the drive that errored and replaced it with a precleared drive, rebuild is going.

I'm now preclearing the drive that was red balled for what appeared to be no reason. After 2 hours, it now has 2 pending sectors and 2 offline uncorrectable sectors. My error may have been related to the actual drive. I think im just going to play it safe and RMA. One of my servers seriously gives me trouble 2-3x a month, I just replaced a faulty hotswap bay in it last week. Now a drive seems to be dying, I went through and checked SMART on the other discs, I show 2 CRC errors on parity, and 15 crc errors on Disk 7. Disk 7 is the hotswap bay I replaced, so i'm going to assume that the CRC errors were caused by that. Parity.. not sure. These drives are using SAS to SAS cables, you'd think if 1 is having CRC errors, all 4 would be. I also see raw read errors of "1" on like 3 drives, but I don't think that's too alarming, considering the amount of data read/write from them.

Going to have to keep an eye on them and make sure the values don't keep raising.

EDIT: Can we please get a new build with updated samba? It's really causing some issues/annoyances as others have pointed out.

It is really frustrating when people ask for that information while it is sitting in your sig - you'd think on this forum that ppl would look at the sig before asking.

It is really frustrating when people ask for that information while it is sitting in your sig - you'd think on this forum that ppl would look at the sig before asking.

Not everyone puts it in the sig. Would be cool if there was a profile section available.

Does SMF have some kind of add on to allow this?

Not everyone puts it in the sig. Would be cool if there was a profile section available.

Does SMF have some kind of add on to allow this?

Simply click on their name on the Left and it will take you to their profile. If they have a signature it would be displayed there.  As well there are a few mods you can install that will allow for other fields to be filled in. For example on my site I allow for others to type in their Jeep make/model. I'd be more than willing to do the foot work for Limetech to find all that if hes interested. Heck I'll PM him with that info anyways. LOL

I do agree we should shelf the OffTopic a bit and get back to This release.

Sadly my parity check speed is approx 60MB/sec. Back on 4.7 it was a little over 100MB/sec. I'm using the same hardware and even faster drives. What in the world is making it go so slow?

Also, this new Samba I'm reading about. When you temporarily update to the new one with putting that line in your GO file, what happens to the Samba that is already built into the Kernel? Does that load also?

Sadly my parity check speed is approx 60MB/sec. Back on 4.7 it was a little over 100MB/sec. I'm using the same hardware and even faster drives. What in the world is making it go so slow?

Also, this new Samba I'm reading about. When you temporarily update to the new one with putting that line in your GO file, what happens to the Samba that is already built into the Kernel? Does that load also?

Hi,  With your parity are you taking this reading from the end of the parity check from the syslog where it tells you how long and how many bytes errors etc or looking at the web interface while doing the check??

Hi,  With your parity are you taking this reading from the end of the parity check from the syslog where it tells you how long and how many bytes errors etc or looking at the web interface while doing the check??

I was looking at the speed while it was being done, on the web page. I had to cancel it (again) since it would have gone into the next day and I needed to server to be free of doing a parity check.

Those complaining about sigs. I always turn them off on all forums as a personal preference. Not everyone wants to read sigs or see them taking up valuable reading space. It is not always clear when a sig starts and you end up re-reading them all the time, not to mention that a lot of forums allow garish images in sigs which not everyone wants to see, especially at the workplace for example.

Back to the thread, I see Tom said he would be out of the office until 3rd October. Yet it is the 7th, and still no ammendment to another poor release where people are having issues. My patience is wearing thin again.

I just upgraded (from 4.6) to RC8a, and experienced the "not able to delete" issue (i have run the permissions script twice now)

I tried installing the updated samba as well (as per others in this topic) however was still unable to delete certain files (can write to shares fine).

I just had to remove some files via telnet. Would a new release with an updated samba included fix the permissions issue?

I have also noticed (as per others in this thread) that exploring the files in this version is slower than the release i upgraded from (slight pauses when first opening directories, and slow refresh).

Thanks

Ostrich,

I had similar problems  and solved it by adding the most current samba to my go file.

(i originally found the info somewhere in the forum)

I imagine it will be included in the release ver, but it worked for me...

joe

Unraid bld rc8a

my go file:

#!/bin/bash

installpkg /boot/custom/samba-3.6.8-i486-1.txz

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

I just upgraded (from 4.6) to RC8a, and experienced the "not able to delete" issue (i have run the permissions script twice now)

I tried installing the updated samba as well (as per others in this topic) however was still unable to delete certain files (can write to shares fine).

I just had to remove some files via telnet. Would a new release with an updated samba included fix the permissions issue?

I have also noticed (as per others in this thread) that exploring the files in this version is slower than the release i upgraded from (slight pauses when first opening directories, and slow refresh).

Thanks

Trouble deleting from a client computer? Try logging into the server itself, even remotely using midnight commander and try to see if you can delete that way. I have always been able to delete anything from using MC. When connecting via a Windows share, sometimes the folder doesn't even update or remove what I have deleted. Not sure if the problem is Samba or something else. Hard to say, but Midnight Commander has always worked when in a pinch.

this has been a issue.  I found that if I add the AFP to the share, then connect with my imac, I'm able to delete the files.  I sometimes have to reboot the server and ensure I do not attach to the shares with my Windows pc so the files are not locked.  I'm then able to delete the files with my imac.  Although using AFP does add a few directories and that leaves some stuff to clean up later after you remove the AFP stuff.

Having the mac computer and using AFP helped me work around these SMB permissions issues.  It only proves that SMB issues continue to haunt Windows pc clients.

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

Hey Joe

Thanks for this. I tried again (loaded samba onto flash and edited GO file). Tested it was installed (it was), and rebooted server and windows PC.

Still cant delete the files through windows. Have checked permissions on two files one old (pre RC8a) and one new (rc 8a). Both are -rw-rw---- nobody users

Yet i get permission error on old file, and can delete new file.

Weird...

will continue to delete through telnet until new RC i guess, just a pain.

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

Hey Joe

Thanks for this. I tried again (loaded samba onto flash and edited GO file). Tested it was installed (it was), and rebooted server and windows PC.

Still cant delete the files through windows. Have checked permissions on two files one old (pre RC8a) and one new (rc 8a). Both are -rw-rw---- nobody users

Yet i get permission error on old file, and can delete new file.

Weird...

will continue to delete through telnet until new RC i guess, just a pain.

I've not done any testing at all of the inability to delete through samba, but I'll not be surprised if it is actually an issue in the user-shares logic that recently changed when over-writing a file when an existing file on one physical disk is renamed to that of a file on a different physical disk.

When deleting through telnet, are you doing it on the /mnt/disk1/sharename/file, or on the /mnt/user/sharename/file ?

(The first having absolutely nothing to do with user-shares)

When unable to delete through SAMBA, is it on a user-share, or on a disk share?

Joe L.