unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc8a Available

limetech

You can't probably get much more than that as average speed... I did search on Internet for some HDTune/HDTach test screenshot of your hdd and:

http://lord.asmodeus.free.fr/HFR/hardware/HDD/Seagate%20Green%202To/HDTune_Benchmark_ST2000DL003-9VT166_write.png

72 is ok but I'd prefer 90s

Under 8 hours isn't too bad as it can be finished by early enough in te morning.  Under 6 hours wold be ideal though.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you have a 7200 rpm or 5900 rpm drive for your parity drive?  I have the same issue, but come to think of it, my parity drive is a 5900 rpm hitachi.  I will be switching that out for a 7200 rpm Seagate after my next parity check.

You can tweak the "tunable" parameters under 'disk settings'. I have made mine 10 times larger (i.e. add a '0' to each value) as a result parity check went 3 hours faster...

Another month, another parity check.  No where near as good as the first run after adjusting the tunables, but still better than before

Monthly Parity Check with 10x default Tunables

Last checked on Tue Jan 1 08:43:11 2013 SGT (today), finding 0 errors.

* Duration: 7 hours, 43 minutes, 9 seconds. Average speed: 72.0 MB/sec

Monthly Parity Check with default Tunables

Last checked on Sat Dec 1 11:26:52 2012 SGT (today), finding 0 errors.

* Duration: 10 hours, 26 minutes, 50 seconds. Average speed: 53.2 MB/sec

Forced Parity Check with after changing to 10x default Tunables and running 24hours after Monthly Default.

Last checked on Sat Dec 1 23:09:21 2012 SGT (yesterday), finding 0 errors.

* Duration: 5 hours, 47 minutes, 18 seconds. Average speed: 96.0 MB/sec

10x values (plus a reboot to be 100% sure it took), had zero increase for me, so I'm guessing it's very much system dependent.

Last checked on Sat Dec 1 09:45:02 2012 EST (three days ago), finding 0 errors.

* Duration: 9 hours, 45 minutes, 0 seconds. Average speed: 85.5 MB/sec

Last checked on Tue Jan 1 09:49:22 2013 EST (yesterday), finding 0 errors.

* Duration: 9 hours, 49 minutes, 21 seconds. Average speed: 84.9 MB/sec

So any news on the next RC and/or Final release Tom/Limetech?

be patient ;)

Hey ProStuff, are you talking short term patience or hospice patient? In other words, SSA's actuarial tables say that I have approx. 28.99 years left - I am currently 50. What do you think my odds are of seeing the next release???

Truth is, I'm fine either way. I'm not switching to anything else. UnRaid works for me.

be patient ;)

Hey ProStuff, are you talking short term patience or hospice patient? In other words, SSA's actuarial tables say that I have approx. 28.99 years left - I am currently 50. What do you think my odds are of seeing the next release???

Truth is, I'm fine either way. I'm not switching to anything else. UnRaid works for me.

short term

be patient ;)

short term

I like to see a final version too, but in all honesty the current release candidate is working perfect for me (I consider it stable enough to be called final)...

I like to see a final version too, but in all honesty the current release candidate is working perfect for me (I consider it stable enough to be called final)...

I did add the later samba 3.6.8 version though...

That made me laugh.  I've had the most trouble with this release than any other thanks to the samba issue. It's also made me rethink my entire data storage strategy look at whether unRaid is worthy of being the lynchpin of m storage or whether its better suited to a WORM type solution for media and backups only.

I tend to agree that using UnRAID as effectively a WORM makes a lot of sense.  Most of the issues identified in this thread seem to be related to a lot of file activity;  but if you're just writing what's effectively a lot of static data (e.g. media files) and then streaming them, it's VERY stable.    That's fundamentally all I do with my main UnRAID server (running 4.7).    I have a 2nd backup server running the 5.0-rc8, and it's got a lot more write activity => but only once-a-week backups; and never any reads during the writes.    It's very stable in that mode ... but I'd feel a lot better if the Samba issue was resolved and this was running v5 final.

Tom's post in his "gone until 3 Oct" thread ["... I had hoped to complete and release 5.0 'final' before leaving, but just ran out of time.  I'm really sorry about that, and when we get back, we will be hitting it hard to get this done a.s.a.p."]  sure implied that v5 "final" was very close when he posted that note in September ... but over 3 months of silence since then isn't encouraging.

I had planned to expand my 2nd "storage server" from it's current "free" license (3 3TB WD Reds) to a Plus license with 5 or 6 drives;  but am now leaning towards just setting up a RAID-5 array on Linux or Windows for my backup server

To 5.0-rc8a  or not? that is the question....

Now I am a little confused after reading problems and such on this thread....

I would love to get a 3tb HD to increase my file storage but I might just wait till the stable version...

What do you guys say jay or nay?  ;D  4.7 FTW?

What do you guys say jay or nay?  ;D

Nothing to loose giving it a test drive before you invest in a 3TB disk! Just make a backup of your setup before you upgrade, in case you hit any unexpected snags and want to rollback to 4.7 ;)

On a side note - same Beer40oz from XBMC forums? :P

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

Just upgraded to rc8 from rc5.  My old PCI 8169 card will not work now, but my integrated 8111E works fine.  About 20 meg faster also.  I am pleased that the integrated port is working, but if it dies that means my old card will not work.  BTW, the board is an Asrock FM2A85X Extreme 6.  Asrock confirmed before I started the build with this board that the PCI-e slots will support X8 drive controllers as well.

Just upgraded to rc8 from rc5.  My old PCI 8169 card will not work now, but my integrated 8111E works fine.  About 20 meg faster also.  I am pleased that the integrated port is working, but if it dies that means my old card will not work.  BTW, the board is an Asrock FM2A85X Extreme 6.  Asrock confirmed before I started the build with this board that the PCI-e slots will support X8 drive controllers as well.

Any PCIe card should work in an x16 slot. The x number is the maximum size card that can use the slot. Any card that is x16 or less should work.

Thank You, that is what I wanted to avoid.  I had selected and MSI board, after a phone call to them, I found out that the particular board would not support a non-graphics card in the X16 slot and it was a mini-ITX board with only one PCI-e x1 and one PCI slot in addition.  I was planning to use an LSI controller from the start with it.  This Asrock board has 7 internal sata ports, allowing me to put off the controller for a while. 

Some boards will also allow any sort of card in any of the suitable slots - but will reduce bandwidth to certain slots if other slots are populated.

So all of a sudden your x16 slot is running at only x8 rates.

Generally not a problem for disk controllers but something worth keeping an eye out for as it's not very well documented usually.

Generally boards designed to cope with 3 or 4 way SLI graphics cards have special considerations to actually allow all their pci-e lanes to run at full tilt without contention.