Newbie Building a un-RAID Server

JoeBoy

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read this...I'm looking at building my own unraid box and I have a data migration queston. I have a existing 3TB drive that's almost full. And I have 2 more 3TB drives that are empty. Will I be able to create one large 9TB volume without loosing exisiting data using unRAID?

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read this...I'm looking at building my own unraid box and I have a data migration queston. I have a existing 3TB drive that's almost full. And I have 2 more 3TB drives that are empty. Will I be able to create one large 9TB volume without loosing exisiting data using unRAID?

Is the 3TB drive currently in a UnRaid config. If you answered no, you can not simply put a drive with formatting for some other OS into unraid and integrate the data. You will need to set up the other two drives in unraid, and then transfer the data from the currently full drive.

As mike said, you would have to add one (or both) of the empty 3 TB drives to the array, then either mount the full harddrive in unraid and transfer, or transfer over the network to the array.

Also, with 3 3Tb drives, if you do not use parity you will have a 9TB array, if you do use parity you will have a 6 TB array.

Archived