Out of Office until Oct 3

limetech

Out of the office until October 3rd.... is that 2012?

really ?!! is that necessary ?

I don't know, is it?

A lot of people there believed the next communication would be 2013. Tom has been AWOL many times and shown us often an unacceptable level of commitment towards delivering a stable product customers have paid for. He could always come on to these very forums and defend himself.

umm no, you PAID for the 4.x vesion NOT the 5.x version.

Also if you have been around long enough this isn't the first time this has happened and probably won't be the last.  If I were him everytime I see a comment like that I would just put off communication even longer.  I'm sure he wants to get version 5 out as fast as he can but somethings just don't always work out the way you want.

Which is broken/has major bugs.

how have these bugs affected you?

please post so we can understand the real world impact of them and not just the theoretical understanding that they exist.

thanks

They've affected me in that I bought version 4.7 without it being advertised properly (broke) and hence I am not using it with my "live" data/media files.

You can dress it up however you like, the fact of the matter is that 4.7 has major bugs and is not to be trusted. It is not a production release and Tom promised to fix it with version 4.7.1 and has not done so for well over a year, mainly due to the focus on version 5.

Many people seem to think the answer to my comments is to post on these forums how long they have been using version XYZ for with no issues. That's nice. It also means nothing. It's like saying you have been driving to work in your car with 3 wheels for a month with no issues. Ok that's great, but we don't all want to take that risk.

You will have a long wait if you want completely bug free software.  All software has bugs some more serious than others.  If you've never encountered the bug and never engage in those practices that cause it how is it still a problem.  I'm sure he (Tom) will fix them in 5.0.  His problem is that some of them are in the Linux kernal and he has to wait for someone else to fix them.
  • Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've affected me in that I bought version 4.7 without it being advertised properly (broke) and hence I am not using it with my "live" data/media files.

You can dress it up however you like, the fact of the matter is that 4.7 has major bugs and is not to be trusted. It is not a production release and Tom promised to fix it with version 4.7.1 and has not done so for well over a year, mainly due to the focus on version 5.

Many people seem to think the answer to my comments is to post on these forums how long they have been using version XYZ for with no issues. That's nice. It also means nothing. It's like saying you have been driving to work in your car with 3 wheels for a month with no issues. Ok that's great, but we don't all want to take that risk.

Again there are no specifics of what problems you are/were having, so we can't help you.

I don't know, is it?

A lot of people there believed the next communication would be 2013. Tom has been AWOL many times and shown us often an unacceptable level of commitment towards delivering a stable product customers have paid for. He could always come on to these very forums and defend himself.

Also if you have been around long enough this isn't the first time this has happened and probably won't be the last.  If I were him everytime I see a comment like that I would just put off communication even longer.  I'm sure he wants to get version 5 out as fast as he can but somethings just don't always work out the way you want.

I only just recently paid for a plus licence to upgrade my server will i now have to do the same again when 5.0 comes out?

I don't know, is it?

I only just recently paid for a plus licence to upgrade my server will i now have to do the same again when 5.0 comes out?

I doubt it.  So far upgrades have been free unless you are upgrading type.  Free to plus and Plus to Pro do cost.

1. opentoe, you are being very hypocritical, have a read of your own posts 6m to a year ago.

2. 4.7 is not being supported, it hasn't since 4.7.1 was announced and then forgotten.

3. I'm guessing this discussion is a result of lime not returning to the forums since his leave yet? 

1. opentoe, you are being very hypocritical, have a read of your own posts 6m to a year ago.

Dude, can't a guy have a change of though in a year? You have way too much time on your hands if you can remember posts from a year ago. Man, we aren't talking about abortion or legal rights here. I complained all the time then told myself I bought 4.7 when 5 wasn't even spoken about. I had no right to complain. The one main reason why I shut up is I bought a NAS box that cost me a ton of money but works with any size hard drives and the speeds are over 100MB/sec read or write. I use unraid more as a hobby box now and that's why I decided to upgrade to a BETA version. When someone loses data with a BETA version everyone always says right away, "you should have never upgraded to a BETA product". Is it a little lame there are so many bugs still in 4.7 and the easiest way around that was NOT to fix them but to create a new version. Maybe that's why there is no charge if you already own a key.

2. 4.7 is not being supported, it hasn't since 4.7.1 was announced and then forgotten.

3. I'm guessing this discussion is a result of lime not returning to the forums since his leave yet?

I don't know, is it?

Can't you put on a happy face and tell the guy "have a nice time"?

• 2 weeks later...

I've not really thrown my hat into the ring regarding 4.7 -> 5.0 previously, but I think a lot of these conversations quickly devolve into arguing about the merits of expecting 5.0, when the user only paid for 4.7.

This is much simpler to me.

The head of Lime Tech is active on the forums and contributes random updates that set expectations:

IE, going on vacation, back the first week of October.

It is now October 24th and there has been no further communication.

That in and of itself, is frustrating.

For me, this isn't about delays.

This is simply about keeping people in the loop...

His last communication implied he wanted 5.0 released before vacation, but after returning from vacation, he has yet to provide any update on 5.0 in 3 weeks. 

I've not really thrown my hat into the ring regarding 4.7 -> 5.0 previously, but I think a lot of these conversations quickly devolve into arguing about the merits of expecting 5.0, when the user only paid for 4.7.

The head of Lime Tech is active on the forums and contributes random updates that set expectations:

His last communication implied he wanted 5.0 released before vacation, but after returning from vacation, he has yet to provide any update on 5.0 in 3 weeks.

THIS. +1

Exactly +1

Agree +1

Not at all.  But it does mean they have not learned to not worry, be happy :)

Perhaps someone with more motivation and curiosity (and as a distraction from waiting) will do a little analysis to compare post count vs complaint count.  Might be illustrative  ;)

Sometimes it does feel like we're that stereotypical nagging mother when their child comes home from a late night out, "you couldn't call? it takes one minute to call and let me know you aren't dead in a ditch somewhere!" 

And in some ways it applies here.  Literally all it would take from Tom is, "Hey guys, still working, no time to chat, waiting for XYZ upstream kernel fix / running an alpha test on a fix, see you in a week" and that would stop like 90% of the complaints.  Not 100% because well, come on, someone will find something to complain about.  Most likely, "why doesn't Tom tell us everything?!?! I want to know what he had for breakfast damn it, I DESERVE TO KNOW!!!!" ;)

Not at all.  But it does mean they have not learned to not worry, be happy :)

Perhaps someone with more motivation and curiosity (and as a distraction from waiting) will do a little analysis to compare post count vs complaint count.  Might be illustrative  ;)

Sometimes it does feel like we're that stereotypical nagging mother when their child comes home from a late night out, "you couldn't call? it takes one minute to call and let me know you aren't dead in a ditch somewhere!" 

And in some ways it applies here.  Literally all it would take from Tom is, "Hey guys, still working, no time to chat, waiting for XYZ upstream kernel fix / running an alpha test on a fix, see you in a week" and that would stop like 90% of the complaints.  Not 100% because well, come on, someone will find something to complain about.  Most likely, "why doesn't Tom tell us everything?!?! I want to know what he had for breakfast damn it, I DESERVE TO KNOW!!!!" ;)

+1

I find it unnecessary to misrepresent requests for reliable updates as a request for his breakfast, lunch, or personal info...

This is about customer service expectations. By being vague or silent, it allows expectations and speculation to run wild.

Pointing out that users who are frustrated must be new here only further illustrates a failure of customer service and clear communication and that older users have simply given up on expectations and qualify customer service

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I find it unnecessary to misrepresent requests for reliable updates as a request for his breakfast, lunch, or personal info...

This is about customer service expectations. By being vague or silent, it allows expectations and speculation to run wild.

Pointing out that users who are frustrated must be new here only further illustrates a failure of customer service and clear communication and that older users have simply given up on expectations and qualify customer service

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I hope you aren't refering to my post?!  Or even Weeboo's after it.  Because I explictly stated that it would be helpful if Tom at least gave us some quick check-ins that would satisfy most people. 

Literally all it would take from Tom is, "Hey guys, still working, no time to chat, waiting for XYZ upstream kernel fix / running an alpha test on a fix, see you in a week" and that would stop like 90% of the complaints. 

The rest would never be satisfied because they want to know his breakfast menu.  If you could not recognize the sarcasm, and frankly the truth, in that second bit I'm sorry.

As to the newbie comments ... look dude, you might not like the message but the point is take it from the old timers (and Im' hardly really one of those) the expectation HAS been set.  Tom goes silent for stretches of time that are, indeed, a bit uncomfortable, and yet he always comes back.  If you have a specific question / problem for him do not use the forums, email him directly.  Otherwise, don't worry-be happy, UnRaid is not dead.

And just to be 100% clear, I agree that our lowered expecations are NOT ideal.  I DO wish Tom would keep the community that so loyally supports him a little better informed.  But my server works and I know if I have a failure I can come here to ask questions of the community and get an answer.  If it is something only Tom can solve, I can email him directly.  Beyond that, I'm not sure what else I could ask for.

@jumperalex

I couldn't tell if you guys were being sarcastic or not. I think I got across everything I meant to in my first post, the 2nd one just complicated it... sorry bout that

I think you and I are on the same page with our "hopes" for future communications from Tom...

Apologies if you felt I was calling you out unnecessarily

( :

@jumperalex

I couldn't tell if you guys were being sarcastic or not. I think I got across everything I meant to in my first post, the 2nd one just complicated it... sorry bout that

I think you and I are on the same page with our "hopes" for future communications from Tom...

Apologies if you felt I was calling you out unnecessarily

( :

;) no worries.  My skin is thick.  Let's go drink a beer now WOOT!