Out of Office until Oct 3

limetech

I have been reading this thread and i would like to say a couple things.

1) We are all here because we have one common interest, we like the product tom has made, i dunno about you guys have been searching the net high and low over the last couple of years for a more or less open system than i can centralize all my media with redundancy and host all my server applications. i would never touch propitiatory hardware/software nas systems and have tried tons of different software/OS like freenas flexraid and others and none have filled me needs like unraid. and anything that unraid doesn't do you will likely find or create a plugin to fill the gap, and i'm extremely happy with my server it has been running more or less hiccup free for just under a year now. in my opinion this software was well worth the 60$

2)The community around unraid is amazing  and while unraid's basic functionality is good, the community plugins is what makes me like unraid so much more than what other companies everywhere else are offering. The community is amazing, the amount of time some people set aside to help someone they don't even know shows just how good the community is. Keep it up you guys are great!

3) The threats against suing  tom are silly and if you won you would be robbing this whole community of the only dev unraid has, and i cant speak for the rest of the community but i would be VERY pissed off if unraid ceased to exist because one person didnt feel he got what he paid for.

4) In this day and age it would great if tom had a twitter account or blog that he could keep us in the loop on development through weekly or bi-weeky updates, while im assuming limetech this is a one man show i'm sure he has  a lot on his plate between, email support, delivering keys, coding and the rest of management side of the business. But i think if tom was smart he would do what i said previously as it would make 95% of people on the forum happy because that is what most of us are asking for just a little bit better communication. It would only take 5 or 10 minutes every week or every other week to do this. Ultimately its toms software, so he calls the shots he has done a great job listening to the community and incorporating our ideas into unraid and that the other thing about unraid is its still a small enough project that the community really gets listened too.

I like all of you am a little bit frustrated by lack of communication from tom and it would only take a couple of minutes ever week or every second week to give us a quick status update via twitter or a blog, and this would honestly make 90% of the people complaining happy.

Thanks to the community and tom,

Keep up the great work!

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) We are all here because we have one common interest, we like the product tom has made, i dunno about you guys have been searching the net high and low over the last couple of years for a more or less open system than i can centralize all my media with redundancy and host all my server applications. i would never touch propitiatory hardware/software nas systems and have tried tons of different software/OS like freenas flexraid and others and none have filled me needs like unraid. and anything that unraid doesn't do you will likely find or create a plugin to fill the gap, and i'm extremely happy with my server it has been running more or less hiccup free for just under a year now. in my opinion this software was well worth the 60$

2)The community around unraid is amazing  and while unraid's basic functionality is good, the community plugins is what makes me like unraid so much more than what other companies everywhere else are offering. The community is amazing, the amount of time some people set aside to help someone they don't even know shows just how good the community is. Keep it up you guys are great!

3) The threats against suing  tom are silly and if you won you would be robbing this whole community of the only dev unraid has, and i cant speak for the rest of the community but i would be VERY pissed off if unraid ceased to exist because one person didnt feel he got what he paid for.

4) In this day and age it would great if tom had a twitter account or blog that he could keep us in the loop on development through weekly or bi-weeky updates, while im assuming limetech this is a one man show i'm sure he has  a lot on his plate between, email support, delivering keys, coding and the rest of management side of the business. But i think if tom was smart he would do what i said previously as it would make 95% of people on the forum happy because that is what most of us are asking for just a little bit better communication. It would only take 5 or 10 minutes every week or every other week to do this. Ultimately its toms software, so he calls the shots he has done a great job listening to the community and incorporating our ideas into unraid and that the other thing about unraid is its still a small enough project that the community really gets listened too.

I like all of you am a little bit frustrated by lack of communication from tom and it would only take a couple of minutes ever week or every second week to give us a quick status update via twitter or a blog, and this would honestly make 90% of the people complaining happy.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you for taking the time to write this.

Example, I purchase Windows 7 Pro when it came out.

WRONG!  You purchased a license to use Windows 7 Pro and, possibly, some media containing the binary files required to install Windows 7 Pro.

I paid $299.99 for it.  Yea its really a high price but stay with me for a moment.  Now Windows 8 Pro has come out.  Based on what you said above, Since I purchased Windows 7 Pro, I should be entitled to get Windows 8 Pro for free.

Not quite.  You purchased a license to use W7Pro, which is quite specific - it does not include the right to use other versions.

The point that other posters are making is that we have purchased a license to use unRAID (Plus or Pro) - it is not specific to any particular release.

Keep up the great work!

he's alive [ ;D]

Keep up the great work!

he's alive [ ;D]

of course he is :)

did you doubt that?

Give the man some space, it will all come to its place...

Hi Tom,

Let me start by saying, I am one of the patient ones. Not because I am a fan boy,  as I'm not,  but because I believe that judging others without having the full picture is at least daring. Life throws many curve balls as to make it as simple as 2+2, and I'm sure there is a good enough reason (for you) not to have replied here (or anywhere else) before.

However, at this point I'm really disappointed with you. It has taken you more than one month to reply and still didn't provide any useful feedback. IMHO you should provide answers not only to your "supporters" but also to your "detractors", after all,  WE ALL ARE UNRAID USERS.

I'm sorry to say I was expecting more from you.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I have just upgraded my 2 plus licenses to pro, to go with my other 2 pro licenses.

I now have 4 pro licenses.  I'm betting on Tom....  :)

If I understand correctly, Tom has someone to help with people who order keys.  My upgrade order was handled within 2 hours.  Perhaps he should promote that person to Limetech Spokesperson to update the community with whats happening on a semi regular basis.

(v5rc8a is working fine here.)

Was this really necessary?  Do people really think he has no heart and doesn't care at all?  Do we need to kick him further while he is down?

I'm not thrilled about the lack of communication either.  The perceived lack of progress doesn't bother me much (because I don't believe there is no progress), it's purely the lack of communication.

And Tom may have to live with lost customer opportunities because of it.  But the lawsuit threat was just stupid to me, and piling on with comments such as "I'm disappointed in you"...

I just really think at this point is incredibly counterproductive.

Was this really necessary?  Do people really think he has no heart and doesn't care at all?  Do we need to kick him further while he is down?

I'm not thrilled about the lack of communication either.  The perceived lack of progress doesn't bother me much (because I don't believe there is no progress), it's purely the lack of communication.

And Tom may have to live with lost customer opportunities because of it.  But the lawsuit threat was just stupid to me, and piling on with comments such as "I'm disappointed in you"...

I just really think at this point is incredibly counterproductive.

I don't think dheg is the only one who is disappointed and struggling to understand.  The last time lime went missing in action, when he returned he apologized and agreed that he needed to do better.  Since then things have been patchy up until the time he opened this thread.  The intention was obviously good, letting us know he would be away for a few days.  Not sure when he did return but since then he has been sitting back watching everyone express their frustrations when he could have simply announced his return and closed the thread.  Then when he does comment it simply to thank someone that has correctly pointed out that he has done a lot of good....  and then leaves the thread open and probably goes silent again....

if you didn't expect more then its probably because you have seen this happen so many times before.

I've only been on the band wagon for about 2 years, enough time to know what to expect, but I still don't accept it.  Promising anything and then ignoring it is simply unacceptable, whether it be a fix for 4.7, updates to 5x, promising 'to do better' or simply returning from holidays.

I'm a satisifed UnRAID user (2 Pro keys plus a couple 3-drive systems) ... but definitely NOT happy with the complete lack of status info -- even a short "monthly update" paragraph once a month would be a HUGE improvement.    But as long as physical product support -- processing key purchases, upgrades, and replacements -- are handled in a timely manner (clearly they are), the communications shortfall is a frustrating but tolerable fact of life.

But this timeline was clearly frustrating:

26 Sep:    "... I had hoped to complete and release 5.0 'final' before leaving, but just ran out of time.  I'm really sorry about that, and when we get back, we will be hitting it hard to get this done a.s.a.p."

... followed by a LOT of growing frustration with the complete lack of subsequent communications after the projected return date of 3 Oct ...

until, FINALLY ...

14 Nov:    "... Thank you for taking the time to write this."

Would it have really taken more than an extra 30 seconds or so to at least provide SOME actual feedback !! ???  [e.g.  "Thank you for taking the time to write this -- trying really hard to finalize v5, but waiting for the next release of Samba to resolve a couple of issues.    I'm really too busy to provide frequent updates, but rest assured I AM working on this."]

One thing is crystal clear:    There was NO reason to post the original note in this thread -- all it did was create a (reasonable) expectation that there would be some additional communications after 3 October.  [i'd have at least expected a "Wow, what a relaxing vacation.  But we're back and I'm now going to be tied up finishing v5, so please don't expect further communications until it's done."]

After such a long silence and lack of information, this is the first post you, Limetech/Tom, make as a first statement.

No update, further info or apology to your customers.

How do you think this comes across in terms of professionalism?  I think you need to get your priorities right.

@mikefallen on November 14, 2012, 02:40:25 PM

Mike, I could not have agreed with you more.

@peterb

WRONG!  You purchased a license to use Windows 7 Pro and, possibly, some media containing the binary files required to install Windows 7 Pro.

Well you are technically correct, but I was just simply giving an example.

Not quite.  You purchased a license to use W7Pro, which is quite specific - it does not include the right to use other versions.

The point that other posters are making is that we have purchased a license to use unRAID (Plus or Pro) - it is not specific to any particular release.

Really.  so there is NEVER a chance that Tom would decide to start charging for upgrades? hmmm.  Anyway if that is his policy I will not question it.  I was just simply making a point.  I am not joining in the Tom Bash Fest, but just giving suggestions.

Since the upgrade is free, then I can wait

Its good to see that Tom is reading the Forum.

--Sideband Samurai

@mikefallen on November 14, 2012, 02:40:25 PM

Mike, I could not have agreed with you more.

@peterb

Well you are technically correct, but I was just simply giving an example.

Really.  so there is NEVER a chance that Tom would decide to start charging for upgrades? hmmm.  Anyway if that is his policy I will not question it.  I was just simply making a point.  I am not joining in the Tom Bash Fest, but just giving suggestions.

Since the upgrade is free, then I can wait

Its good to see that Tom is reading the Forum.

--Sideband Samurai

As I said earlier, while new versions are labelled plus or pro, those who have already purchased a license will be eligible to use them.  The conditions of sale of future licenses could change or the naming of future versions could change so as not to include pro or plus I guess. 

I think the point you were trying to make is that Tom has been generous and not charged us to upgrade to v5 despite many other software companies doing this.  Don't confuse this with thinking that he could simply decide to charge us an upgrade fee if he changed his mind.

I also have two pro licenses and I fully support Tom. Would I like more communication or updates, of course but I can wait. This is why I've said that as a developer you should NOT put a date on a release, release it when it's ready. The Plex team does it that way and it works great for them. I realize that Plex is free but it doesn't matter. 

Tom please hang in there and release it when you think you have it ready. You have the best product out there.

I think you need to get your priorities right.

The thing is, we have no idea what is going on in his life.  It could very well be that there are other priorities and life events that are occupying his mind right now.

He is, AFAIK, a one man company.  Running a business like this myself, I know how difficult it can be balance "life" with work.

In short; Cut the guy a little slack.

I think you need to get your priorities right.

The thing is, we have no idea what is going on in his life.  It could very well be that there are other priorities and life events that are occupying his mind right now.

He is, AFAIK, a one man company.  Running a business like this myself, I know how difficult it can be balance "life" with work.

In short; Cut the guy a little slack.

You have twisted what I have said. I was pointing out that the first comment he makes on this forum in over a month is in reply to some random post, as opposed to answering the vast amount of questions and doubts people have in him and the product right now. How much longer would it have taken to write a short update? Seconds. He refused.

We all have busy lives these days. He is reading the forum (appearing as last active) regularly on here, but not posting.

I don't think it would be too much to ask for an update of some sort. Since you brought up life priorities generally though, regardless of how busy someone can be in their life, I would put updating my customers fairly high on the list of priorities given that a vast amount of time has passed now. We are talking a couple of minutes out of your day to provide an update. Since he is still appearing as active (and now this is backed up by an actual post) the lack of comms now is ridiculous.

If there is nothing to say with no updates. Then post this so we know.

This is why I've said that as a developer you should NOT put a date on a release, release it when it's ready. The Plex team does it that way and it works great for them.

And that would largely be fine (for the most part- at some point it gets a little ridiculous, and we've arguably crossed that line with v5 development).  Still, if it is proving particularly difficult to get a new stable version out (either due to bugs in your code or code your software relies on, i.e., the linux kernel), then you should really go back and patch the bugs in the older version. Based on comments Tom himself made, it sounds like Tom agrees with that, but for whatever reason still hasn't released a v5-final or v4.7.1-final.

Sure.  But in roughly the same amount of time Tom used to write that thank you post Tom could have written an actual response to the comments in this thread, or even just an update on development progress.  Even the simplest updates have historically been warmly received by the community.

I'm a satisifed UnRAID user (2 Pro keys plus a couple 3-drive systems) ... but definitely NOT happy with the complete lack of status info -- even a short "monthly update" paragraph once a month would be a HUGE improvement.    But as long as physical product support -- processing key purchases, upgrades, and replacements -- are handled in a timely manner (clearly they are), the communications shortfall is a frustrating but tolerable fact of life.

But this timeline was clearly frustrating:

26 Sep:    "... I had hoped to complete and release 5.0 'final' before leaving, but just ran out of time.  I'm really sorry about that, and when we get back, we will be hitting it hard to get this done a.s.a.p."

... followed by a LOT of growing frustration with the complete lack of subsequent communications after the projected return date of 3 Oct ...

until, FINALLY ...

14 Nov:    "... Thank you for taking the time to write this."

Would it have really taken more than an extra 30 seconds or so to at least provide SOME actual feedback !! ???  [e.g.  "Thank you for taking the time to write this -- trying really hard to finalize v5, but waiting for the next release of Samba to resolve a couple of issues.    I'm really too busy to provide frequent updates, but rest assured I AM working on this."]

One thing is crystal clear:    There was NO reason to post the original note in this thread -- all it did was create a (reasonable) expectation that there would be some additional communications after 3 October.  [i'd have at least expected a "Wow, what a relaxing vacation.  But we're back and I'm now going to be tied up finishing v5, so please don't expect further communications until it's done."]

Thank you for taking the time to write this. Shortens what I wanted to post. Once again Tom proves the lack of any moral obligation to his paying customers.

Hitting it hard, would have been at the very least to release a 5.0Beta8b with the samba fix. As 8a is a horrible Release Candidate and should have gone through way more QA before being served to the community. So hitting it hard became no communication since Oct 3. instead. And some people defending this behavior is mind blowing. There is no forum rule(s) that states one cannot at the very least vent their displease. Should we all be posting "Thanks for leaving us in the dark Tom! Way to go dude, your the man! Keep doing what your doing" Really?

So I am baffled by some comments like cut him some slack, how many year should one wait before considering slack was given? The repetitive disappearing acts and a RC forum which customers post bugs to (which was Tom's idea and started), don't get acknowledged one way or another, so your left with not knowing if it was validated and will be corrected in a future RC...

No one wants 4.7 and 5 is dragging along, a large amount of license purchases have been based on 5 going production. As some  bring up "what makes anyone think 5 is included with the current license they purchased" is a joke. Yes the licensing model can change at anytime, but the current one encompass v5. And to bring up an example of Windows 7 license is not entitled to a Windows 8 is like apples and oranges. You get support/updates and patch with MS, you don't post to a forum and wait years on end to get a reply. So lets not go there.

Should we all be posting "Thanks for leaving us in the dark Tom! Way to go dude, your the man! Keep doing what your doing" Really?

Or course not, everyone should waste their time posting large rants about lack of updates which will never get acknowledged by the company....

Some people never listen. Everyone has been told that like it or not, that's the way it has always been. I can't figure out how one user think they are so important that their rants about lack of updates will make the company change how it operates. If anything, the rants do nothing but piss off the company and make updates even less likely.

I think there could be more information provided. In the big picture though, I care little either way. My server continues to operate 100% reliably as it has for the past 4 or so years since I built it. I really don't have anything I can complain about. So, I worry about bigger things. Here, I'm presently trying to help 2 different users recover from bad situations which is way more important than this "noise". It's rather funny to read some of the stuff posted here though.

I am somewhat confused on what's so horribly wrong with 8a though that it should not have even been a release candidate. I installed it and some plug-ins and my servers been up for a month without an issue since. I even went though a bunch of hot-swapping and rebuilding drives to install 3 new 3T drives without once rebooting.

Sure.  But in roughly the same amount of time Tom used to write that thank you post Tom could have written an actual response to the comments in this thread, or even just an update on development progress.  Even the simplest updates have historically been warmly received by the community.

I'm guessing his mind is clouded with other life issues (pure speculation).  It happens.  He's human.

I'm guessing his mind is clouded with other life issues (pure speculation).  It happens.  He's human.

I disagree. If his life was clouded with other issues he wouldn't be showing as been active in the forums everyday.

Can we lock this ridiculous thread please? It's devolved well beyond its original intention to instruct the community that Tom would be gone in October. It is now just another whiny "I get no love from Tom" thread. My eyes are bleeding from all the sanctimonious b.s. that is flying around now.  :-[

Thank you for taking the time to write this. Shortens what I wanted to post. Once again Tom proves the lack of any moral obligation to his paying customers.

This forum still exists, It's paid for and functioning.

There's more going on here then we know about.

As pointed out by the quoted message, If you have something to say like this, then say it directly to Tom's email address.

I almost get the image of a witch hunt here with villagers carrying flaming pitchforks.