Out of Office until Oct 3

limetech

Are you Tom under another pseudonym? You seem to speak for Tom as though you are him. If that is the case, you should put clearly in Lime Technology's website that what is paid for.... {rest of rant cut off}

Wow, nice rant.  ???  Jonathanm didn't post anything unreasonable and certainly nothing that would be considered fan-boy. Giving a logical and non-argumentative possible reason for there not being a new release is not even approaching fan-boy material. Maybe you should read his post and your response again and re-evaluate who's being overly defensive.

I would bet good money tha Tom runs LimeTech as a side business. So, making money might not be his top priority. Likely, real life (and family) and his daily job which pays his bills are his top priorities.

At the end of the day, all the ranting in the world won't change a thing. The next post from Tom will happen when he makes his next post and the next release will happen when he decides to make another release. Since he owns and runs the company, he doesn't have to answer to anyone else if he doesn't want to.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To address two more points raised by jonathanm regarding my complaint:-

1. Only V4.7 is stable and this is what users paid for. All V5 betas are provided from the wellspring of Lime Technology's goodwill and love for humankind.

OK here we go again for the people who are hard of understanding:  4.7 can hardly be considered stable as Tom himself announced that a bug was found that can corrupt data and that he would release 4.7.1 to correct this.

This was something like 6months ago and he refuses to comment on the subject since.

Until this is resolved you can not continue to claim that 4.7 is stable and that we can expect nothing more.  Personally I don't really care if he does release a 4.7.1 provided that he has the common decency to communicate with us when he says he will.

I do believe that support for 4.7 is also being purchased?  given the number of people who are claiming that theie support request emails are being ignored, I would suggest that there is an issue

Wow, nice rant.  ???  Jonathanm didn't post anything unreasonable and certainly nothing that would be considered fan-boy. Giving a logical and non-argumentative possible reason for there not being a new release is not even approaching fan-boy material. Maybe you should read his post and your response again and re-evaluate who's being overly defensive.

I would bet good money tha Tom runs LimeTech as a side business. So, making money might not be his top priority. Likely, real life (and family) and his daily job which pays his bills are his top priorities.

At the end of the day, all the ranting in the world won't change a thing. The next post from Tom will happen when he makes his next post and the next release will happen when he decides to make another release. Since he owns and runs the company, he doesn't have to answer to anyone else if he doesn't want to.

Look at Jonathanm's reply at post 68 & 69. So basically when users complained, we are ask to go elsewhere and stop bugging Tom, irrespective of the fact that we are actually paying customers. Better yet, he suggest if I am not happy with unRaid, I should write my own software to do the job. In what warped world is that consider reasonable? By suggesting that this kind of comments are "reasonable" while mine is just a "rant", you painted yourself as another fan-boy in this virtual reality of a forum.

Irrespective of whether Tom run this as his main or side business, he still runs it as a business, which means he took money for services rendered or goods provided. He is therefore obliged to answer his customers. It is therefore totally irrelevant. It is nice that you are so understanding of what you imagined as his life's situation in your own fantasy world, but still irrelevant.

In my experience Tom will post a new release sometime in the future, everyone will thank him for his hard work and the whole cycle starts again - promises/waiting/complaining/thanking.

Wise words that will be the relaity.

Please keep it a bit less personal people. Us mods have a tricky line to walk between representing what's best for the community and moderating things when they get out of hand.

Lets keep this debate lively but without malice.

Always remember that people on both sides of the fence are so opinionated because they all love unRAID.

Since he's been running his business the same way for many years, I would say it's working out just fine for him. If you can do it better, then there is undoubtedly a great deal of money to be made, so I suggest you fill the need and start a company that fits your business model. When you have your software ready, be sure to let us know. Based on the number of complaints here, I'm sure you'll have loads of paying customers.

This is akin to asking me, another paying customer to leaving his little play sandbox because he don't like what I say.

Then in jonathanm reply on the 31st of October:-

I don't think think Tom is a fool, I think he is comfortable allowing others to fill that role.

Telling someone else what to do, or how to do their job when you are not their boss is not usually received well.

It's his company, and he's heard all this many times over in the past. You all are wasting your time and energy getting worked up about something you can't control.

And I'm wasting my time feeding the trolls.

Now we are trolls because we complained? No words from the moderators that things are getting personal. Apparently implying that I am a troll is OK, but saying he is a fan-boy is strictly no-no?

Instead, anybody who complained regarding this issue has been labelled as spoilt teenagers or trolls. Do go through the entire thread. I am not the only users that complained, and what kind of of response do we get?

It's all about the instant gratification generation....  sound like spoiled teenagers.  8)

ME ME ME ME

Is this forum some sort of old-boys club where all the old customers stick together against new customers that complained? What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If the moderators want to swing the axe, swing it both ways.

Is this forum some sort of old-boys club where all the old customers stick together against new customers that complained? What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If the moderators want to swing the axe, swing it both ways.

I have been using unraid for 2 years and I am also frustrated by the lack of communication from Limetech. I have come to the conclusion though that it is completely pointless complaining as Tom never responds to it. Once v5 final has been released I plan on not returning to these forums unless I really have to.

I have been using unraid for 2 years and I am also frustrated by the lack of communication from Limetech. I have come to the conclusion though that it is completely pointless complaining as Tom never responds to it. Once v5 final has been released I plan on not returning to these forums unless I really have to.

+1

but the biggest worry i have is that Tom himself appointed these moderators, but yet he has NO communication with them either..??!!

+1

but the biggest worry i have is that Tom himself appointed these moderators, but yet he has NO communication with them either..??!!

They are forum moderators, not vice presidents of limetech with decision making abilities in regards to how he operates the company.  (With no disrespect to them), don't assume or imply they have more power than they actually do :D

lol

mods are only users prepared to do some dog work.

and anyone that tells me that "I am only a yes man fanboi" obviously has no clue. I have been more vocal than almost anyone here about delays and promises and i still made mod.

Theres no evil elite ,master plan here.... theres the community and theres Limetech LLC. They are seperate.

Same here, if I don't switch to another product first.  Tom is like a friend that always says he is going to hang out with you but never shows up.  I no longer recommend unraid to any of my friends. 

lol

mods are only users prepared to do some dog work.

and anyone that tells me that "I am only a yes man fanboi" obviously has no clue. I have been more vocal than almost anyone here about delays and promises and i still made mod.

Theres no evil elite ,master plan here.... theres the community and theres Limetech LLC. They are seperate.

I have not accuse nor imply that you are a "fan-boy". What I am stating is that by cautioning me against getting too "personal" after my post, you show biased towards me, i.e., users that complain, while those that defended Limetech started personal comments way earlier in this thread without any comment from you.

He is therefore obliged to answer his customers.

LOL what fantasy world do you live in? Thanks for the laugh!

Really? Perhaps I can gather enough like-minded users and make a class action suit against Limetech. We are customers, and we did paid good money. I think we have a reasonable case, and if nothing else, he IS obliged to defend against his accusers in a court of law. How does that sound?

He is therefore obliged to answer his customers.

Really? Perhaps I can gather enough like-minded users and make a class action suit against Limetech. We are customers, and we did paid good money. I think we have a reasonable case, and if nothing else, he IS obliged to defend against his accusers in a court of law. How does that sound?

Hey, anyone is allowed to sue, even if it their lawsuit is stupid and wrong and they will lose. Do you have any kind of purchasing agreement where Limetech agreed to provide status updates on the forum with a time period for each update and where Limetech agreed to a release date for V5.0 software?

This is only my 3rd or 4th post since joining this forum, but this is getting ridiculous! On what grounds? The only official release is 4.7. Bugs or not, that is what you paid for. Any extra releases, betas or RC's are, i think someone else said it, gravy! Until there is an official release, 4.7 is what you paid for! If you do not like the product or think there is a better one that suites you, go away! It is obvious that you like the product though cause you stick around!

Either that or a troll!

This is only my 3rd or 4th post since joining this forum, but this is getting ridiculous! On what grounds? The only official release is 4.7. Bugs or not, that is what you paid for. Any extra releases, betas or RC's are, i think someone else said it, gravy! Until there is an official release, 4.7 is what you paid for! If you do not like the product or think there is a better one that suites you, go away! It is obvious that you like the product though cause you stick around!

Either that or a troll!

I see no point in continuing the argument regarding law suits but would like to point out that you are wrong.  4.7 has been found to be defective.  Tom has admitted this and promised a fix but 6 months or so latter refuses to comment on the subject.  Therefore the consumer laws in most countries would favor the customer.

Like I keep saying, personally I don't care if we get a 4.7.1 and I don't need an update every day or week....  but when it is suggested that an update will come at a certain time and then weeks or months latter there is no communication then that really pisses me off because its bloody rude

So you know the laws in most countries?  You most be a big attorney, what's your number, I have someone I wanna sue for acting like he knows consumer laws in other countries and posts this on the web :)

Maybe Tom can release 5 say its final when it's not so everyone complaining can install it than they can lose the data and have something really to complain about.  It will be released when its ready, enough said.

Time to block this thread, it just makes me mad when I see it

He's just trying to act tough and what would you sue for, a couple dollars lol. . MS has bugs sue them

Maybe Tom can release 5 say its final when it's not so everyone complaining can install it than they can lose the data and have something really to complain about.  It will be released when its ready, enough said.

$149 for unRAID Server Pro Registration Key 2-Pack  is hardly a couple of dollars.

This thread makes all of us mad but a mod closing the thread would only make the problem worse.  We are not demanding that 5 is made final.  We are complaining because Tom indicated that he would be out of the office until Oct 3 and over a month latter he has apparently not returned and there are reports that he not answering support emails.

When I purchased a 2-pack it was because the forum advised that it was a good idea in case of a thumb drive failure.  I have note received the second key yet because at the time of purchase it said that I could email a request for it at any time and I have not bought another thumb drive yet.  It really troubles me to think that Tom may be ignoring his emails for a month at time.....    Why should the onus be on me buy another thumb drive in advance when at the time of the sale I was lead to believe that it would not take more than 1-2 days?

At the end of the day, I don't want a refund because there is not a product better suited to my needs.  I just want Tom to act with a bit of common decency.

Actually, the "announcement" forum is managed by Tom.  No moderator can close the thread, or delete posts, or do anything more than add to the existing posts as I am.

We were given those abilities in other forums, to rid the site of spammers who were making it their play-pen.    We move posts to appropriate sub-forums on occasion, were they are better addressed.  Other than that, we have no more communication from lime-tech than you in most cases.  (very rarely he'll make a post in the moderators sub-forum...  The last was in June, and prior to that in May.)

First and foremost, U would have thought that rebuttals would be based on facts and logic to keep things from going personal. The above rebuttal however, is based on derision and ridiculing the previous post.

In United States, and in most western countries, contract law is similar. When one paid for a product, the seller are obliged to provide necessary and reasonable warranty and service for the product. The biggest weakness in Limetech's argument, as presented by the users here is that only V4.7 is the product, and V5 is beta and therefore not part of the sales contract. However, as I hightlighted previously, Limetech's own web presence indicates otherwise and to fully utilize V5, a registration key is required. Therefore, this indicate that V5, beta or otherwise is part and parcel of the purchase.

This is compounded by the fact that V 4.7 is two years old and development has stop for some time, and only the V5 development is active in this forum.

Other pertinent facts are that Tom is active as indicated by other recent posts, i.e., someone commenting on good service in getting the registration key when buying unRaid. It would seems that Tom has the time to get paid, but not update users here.

Starting a class action suit is really much easier than it seem. The economy outlook in the US today is not good and one thing that US have is lawyers. The main consideration for the lawyer taking this case is whether he or she has a good chance of winning, as their fees will be based on winning the case and the size of the judgement. There are other users that keep suggesting that Limetech is Tom's little side business and it does not earn much. Looking at the number of users here and the price of the product, I suspect otherwise, but the great thing is that a legal suit will lay that fact bare.

For the sake of transparency, I would also point out the consequences of a legal suit against Limetech by its users. It is quite likely that Limetech will probably just declare Chapter 11 or close shop if the case proceed or went against it. I say likely, NOT certainty, given that Limetech appear to be a one man operation. The best case scenario would be Tom would be so busy defending the suit that he would have time for nothing else.

So you know the laws in most countries?  You most be a big attorney, what's your number, I have someone I wanna sue for acting like he knows consumer laws in other countries and posts this on the web :)

Here is the funny thing. It is users like squirrellydw who seems to be egging me on and challenging to proceed with the law suit. While I am NOT a lawyer, I have been a plaintiff in a law suit and I certainly know how to hire a lawyer.

While Tom by his reticence frustrates me, in retrospect I would not bother even mentioning law suits if it were not for the other users who just manage to piss me off in the right way. I will be in a business trip next week, and once I am back, I will contact my lawyer to have a look to see if it is feasibly to proceed with a law suit. If so, I will provide contact details for other users who might decide to join the class action.

First and foremost, U would have thought that rebuttals would be based on facts and logic to keep things from going personal. The above rebuttal however, is based on derision and ridiculing the previous post.

Listen, when you post something that is stupid you should expect people to tell you that it was stupid. And posting about contacting a lawyer to be spiteful is about as stupid as a person can get.

You're going to have to find people who can prove they lost revenue due to the bugs in the 4.7 software. Simply not being happy with the development cycle really won't get you very far.

+1

They are forum moderators, not vice presidents of limetech with decision making abilities in regards to how he operates the company.  (With no disrespect to them), don't assume or imply they have more power than they actually do :D

no assumption was made but on all boards i read daily the mods DO have interaction with the owners!!!

Forum mods are part of the unRAID open source community. We have absolutely no commercial, contractual, non disclosure  or moral obligation to Limetech LLC and none has ever been asked of us in ANY way shape or form.

There is no some "secret in the know" club. The first we hear about a new release is when it is posted to the forum the same as everyone else.