Mountain Lion doesnt see AFP server

Hey,

after testing unraid for few more days i'm more than satisfied, but before going all out and buying new hardware and transfering my data from Ubuntu server, ther's one last thing that's holding me back and it's AFP server.

Unfortunately my Mountain Lion 10.8.2 wont see unRaid with AFP turned on. SMB works fine, i get 30% less transfer speed than with Ubuntu and SFTP, but thats not really a concern. Unfortunately if gonna switch, TimeMachine compatibility is a must, and right now its not working.

When trying to manually connect (connect to server in Finder) i get following error:

11jowwg.jpg

I'm running 5.0-rc8a, here is the log (i'll post whole file if it's neccessary)

Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID emhttp: shcmd (4): cp /etc/exports- /etc/exports
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID emhttp: shcmd (5): cp /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default- /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID emhttp: shcmd (6): ps axc | grep -q rpc.mountd
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID emhttp: _shcmd: shcmd (6): exit status: 1
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID emhttp: Start AVAHI...
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID emhttp: shcmd (7): /etc/rc.d/rc.avahidaemon start |& logger
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID logger: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon:  /usr/sbin/avahi-daemon -D
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID avahi-daemon[3432]: Found user 'avahi' (UID 61) and group 'avahi' (GID 214).
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID avahi-daemon[3432]: Successfully dropped root privileges.
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID avahi-daemon[3432]: avahi-daemon 0.6.31 starting up.
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID avahi-daemon[3432]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID avahi-daemon[3432]: Successfully called chroot().
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID avahi-daemon[3432]: Successfully dropped remaining capabilities.
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID avahi-daemon[3432]: No service file found in /etc/avahi/services.
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID avahi-daemon[3432]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 192.168.1.111.
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID avahi-daemon[3432]: New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID avahi-daemon[3432]: Network interface enumeration completed.
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID avahi-daemon[3432]: Registering new address record for 192.168.1.111 on eth0.IPv4.
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID avahi-daemon[3432]: Registering HINFO record with values 'I686'/'LINUX'.
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID emhttp: shcmd (: /etc/rc.d/rc.avahidnsconfd start |& logger
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID logger: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD DNS Server Configuration Daemon:  /usr/sbin/avahi-dnsconfd -D
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID emhttp: auto start disabled
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID avahi-dnsconfd[3441]: Successfully connected to Avahi daemon.
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID in.telnetd[3443]: connect from 192.168.1.101 (192.168.1.101)
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID login[3444]: ROOT LOGIN  on '/dev/pts/0' from '192.168.1.101'
Sep 28 13:56:43 UNRAID avahi-daemon[3432]: Server startup complete. Host name is UNRAID.local. Local service cookie is 4000675320.

I've read about legacy services here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4700???, but as suspected, this wasnt the case and the solution didnt work.

Any hint where should i start looking?

I just checked under 10.6.8 and my unraid is not visible as AFP nor NFS, only as SMB...

also, this is my finder window with SMB enabled:

2a8miic.jpg

and this is my finder window with SMB and AFP enabled:

swaesw.jpg

when browsing in finder, im "connected" to both servers, but when trying to connect to AFP manually, i still get same error like in the first post.

When enabling both AFP and SMB and two icons appear, I can connect to both servers, but I know none of them is AFP. I can tell by the way files are transfered (no constant transfer, rather transfer "spikes", it's freezing every 3-4 seconds and catching up after that - it's just the way SMB has always been for me), also trying to connect manually to afp://192.168.1.111 will result in previously mentioned error.

With AFP off, the unraid icon is the SMB shares.

Yes

With AFP on, the unraid icon is the AFP shares and the UNRAID-SMB icon is the SMB shares.

No. Let's break this down:

SMB on = visible server, can connect, Samba obviously.

AFP on, SMB off = no visible server, can't connect to AFP manually.

AFP on, SMB on = two visible servers: UNRAID-SMB - can connect, Samba obviously. UNRAID - can connect, most likely Samba, certainly NOT a AFP server, can't connect to AFP manually.

For the record, when I say about connecting manually I mean using "Connect to Server" in Finder or similar functionality in ForkLift or CyberDuck.

i will let you know when i'm back home and have access to my server, which might take a few days.

assuming what you are saying is correct - why AFP is not visible when anabled without SMB and why under any circumstances i cannot connect to it manually?

This I'm not sure about. But if you can access via the finder icon at least you have access.

Ok, I managed to check what You said and unfortunately I was right:

This is UNRAID server with SMB on, AFP off. No surprises.

307un9s.jpg

This is UNRAID server with SMB on, AFP on. Samba, like I suspected.

ncjeb5.jpg

This is UNRAID-SMB server with SMB on, AFP on. Samba, and what is more - server name didn't change, it's still UNRAID, not UNRAID-SMB.

ncjeb5.jpg

Ok, I managed to check what You said and unfortunately I was right:

This is UNRAID server with SMB on, AFP off. No surprises.

307un9s.jpg

This is UNRAID server with SMB on, AFP on. Samba, like I suspected.

ncjeb5.jpg

This is UNRAID-SMB server with SMB on, AFP on. Samba, and what is more - server name didn't change, it's still UNRAID, not UNRAID-SMB.

ncjeb5.jpg

These show access through unraidd-smb. What appears under the unraid icon? Do any shares have AFP on?

These show access through unraidd-smb. What appears under the unraid icon? Do any shares have AFP on?

Like I said...first screenshot is from UNRAID icon, with only Samba on. Second screenshot is from UNRAID icon, with AFP on and Samba on. Third screenshot is from UNRAID-SMB icon, with AFP on and Samba on. All of them show smb protocol.

I am new to unraid, just set up 5.0-RC8a on a machine with 3 drives, each 1.5 TB.  I am having the same problem described in this thread.  From my Mountain Lion Macs, I can only see the unRAID box when I enable SMB.  Enabling only AFP will prevent me from seeing unRAID in finder at all.  Enabling both AFP and SMB gives me two servers listed in Finder, one with the -SMB suffix.  Both of these, if I check the "Get Info" for folders inside the share, show an SMB-protocol connection, rather than the expected AFP.

The name of my unRAID server is Vault (with a capital "V").

I have enabled both SMB and AFP.  In Finder, I see two shares listed, one called "vault" and another called "Vault-SMB", currently both unmounted.

If I double-click on the server called "vault", I can see three folders, "disk1", "disk2", and "flash".  If I double-click on disk2 to mount it, then right-click in the empty folder (no data on my drives yet), it lists the server as "smb://vault/disk2".

Now, if I first "eject" the server called "vault" (which I think unmounts the volume in ML), then go back to Finder, double-click the server named "Vault-SMB" and mount disk2, it lists the server as "smb://Vault-SMB._smb._tcp.local/disk2".

I have no idea what this means, but it looks like a potential clue.  Not sure why one is in lower case, while my setting for the server name is capitalized.  Also it seems like both listings are surely using SMB to connect, even though I have enabled AFP.

If I disable SMB then nothing is listed in Finder and direct attempts to connect using afp://ip_addr fail with the same error mentioned earlier in this thread.

OK, after some further tweaking I think I have solved my issue...

There are actually multiple places to enable AFP and SMB.  I had enabled the "master" switch in Settings under AFP, but I had NOT enabled AFP for each of my disk shares.  Once I did this, I was able to DISable SMB in settings and my AFP shares are working great so far.  I am only seeing one entry in Finder, it is labeled "Vault" (with the capital), and it connects using AFP.  Perfect!  I only plan to enable SMB on the rare occasion that I would need to access the array with a Windows machine, but most of my computers are Macs.

Sorry to have interrupted...carry on please.