Clean-up before upgrading

Hello,

I’m planning to upgrade from the version 4.7 to the latest RC and because I’ve installed some add-ons I would like your help to sort things out and prepare my unRAID for smooth sailing after upgrading to 5.0. Here’s the list of the installed add-ons and few questions:

• Preclear script – that shouldn’t be a problem, right?
  • Cache_dirs – should I keep the script version from Joe L. or remove it and install a Simple Features plugin? Do I need to clean-up my go file before upgrading to 5.0 if I'm going to keep the original version?
  • UnMenu – I know it works without a problem, but do I need it? Should I remove it before upgrading or can I keep it (and packages that I installed with UnMenu) on flash drive? I’ve installed it only because I needed these packages:
    - apcupsd-3.14.3 – can I install newer version in 5.0 or does it still cause some troubles?
    - unraid-mover-conditional-sync
    - unraid-mover-fix-logging
    - Clean Powerdown (powerdown-1.02)

Are these packages still needed in 5.0? Can I install them without UnMenu, because I would like to switch to Simple Features. What is the best way to remove all that and start fresh (with UnMenu/packages only, I need my unRAID configuration, like shares, users, etc. to be intact) after upgrading to 5.0?

You should be fine... the "mover" fixes are not applicable in the 5.0 series...  (they will have no effect, since the scripts have changed since 4.7)

I think SimpleFeatures will do everything else...  although I really don't know first hand as I do not use it.

You definitely need to be sure you have the most current preclear script.  Older ones will not work with 5.0.

You are on your own with apcupsd.  I use the version installed by unMENU.  (no reason to change)

In case you ask, the entire plugin scheme is not yet firmly established.  I've simply stayed away from it.  The event processing and dependency issues that are constantly showing up as people develop plugins have generated countless threads where a person laments "I rebooted and my server does not start any more"  The solution is to disable one or more of the plugins.

Joe L.

Joe L is of course correct.  That said, all you ever hear on forums are problems.  No one logs in to say, "woke up this morning, server was running, that is all, have a good day".  There is some flux going on, but things firmed up a bit recently with RC8a and in general the plug-ins you NEED are all working fine.

That said, first off, when you convert to 5.0, disable ALL plugins, packages, add-ons whatever.  You should be booting an unmolested version of UnRaid.

Second:

- Simple features gives you most of what you need to include Cache-Dir. 

- APCUPSD can be found here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15583.0

- Clean Powerdown (from unmenu) is included with the APCUPSD plug-in

- OpenSSH is here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=20848.0

- Preclear is preclear, get the newest when you need it, otherwise it has no bearing on actually running the array.

Best way to clean out: User dgaschk has a very useful signiture block ... and here it is:

System Recovery Steps:                       :

1. Rename the /boot(flash)/config/plugins directory.

2. Rename boot(flash)/extra/.

3. Use the stock go file (boot(flash)/config/go). 

Stock go file#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

Once everything is running ... you can start cleanup of the flash drive itself:

First bulk copy your /boot(flash) drive into a safe place on a PC in case you need to revert to a known working 4.7

Then you can clean out unneeded packages from the packages directory.  These were previously invoked via your go script to give you a clue of where they reside.  You could also remove any traces of UnMenu folders sie you won't be using that anymore.. 

When I did this, for a reference, I looked at a baremetal install of UnRaid (read: what is inside the AiO zip file) and the directories / files it came with.  Anything above and beyond those should be inspected to determine if they are needed (disk and share config would be non-exhaustive example) or were addons that are not needed for a baremetal server.

Thank you both, you've been really helpful and eased my nerves :-) Now I think during this weekend I'll finally pull the trigger.

But there is one thing that i forgot about - screen (it's essential for preclear). It looks like there is already a plugin but it's no longer supported. Does any of you knows does it still works on the latest RC? Or maybe there is another way for installing screen?