Unraid webconsole unreachable ? Transport endpoint not connected ? Read this.

I'm on the latest 5 rc (rc8a) and the output of 'which smbd' points to /usr/sbin/smbd.  Perhaps I am missing something, but shouldn't the pgrep line be adjusted for the 5.* smbd?

Linux 3.4.11-unRAID.

root@SATURN:~# which smbd

/usr/sbin/smbd

Add the following lines of command to your GO script:

on 4.7:

pgrep -f "/usr/local/sbin/emhttp" | while read PID; do echo -17 > /proc/$PID/oom_adj; done

pgrep -f "/usr/sbin/smbd" | while read PID; do echo -17 > /proc/$PID/oom_adj; done

on 5.*: (thanks to int13h)

pgrep -f "/usr/local/sbin/emhttp" | while read PID; do echo -1000 > /proc/$PID/oom_score_adj; done

pgrep -f "/usr/local/sbin/smbd" | while read PID; do echo -1000 > /proc/$PID/oom_score_adj; done

Please take note of the thread below with respect to the how and why of these additions

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have folks found a solution to this?

I have a new unraid system setup. Did not see this issue when I tested it out for few weeks before migrating all my data to the pro server.  I am running v5rc8 and the syslog points to emthttp error.

===========

Dec 13 08:57:45 Tower emhttp: get_filesystem_status: statfs: /mnt/user/Downloads Transport endpoint is not connected

===========

The strange thing is I was accessing the user shares from Windows 7 machine until a minute before. When I was trying to write a file to the "Downloads" share directory mounted on cache drive only, the share went offline. Connected through putty and noticed the above error message before a whole bunch of "Transport endpoint is not connected" messages. Scrolled the syslog and didn't find anything outstanding. Browser access and cache drive (SABnzbd downloads still working) access seems to be unaffected.

Added the following code following the discussion before my previous reboot. Looks like it did not help.

====================

pgrep -f "/usr/local/sbin/emhttp" | while read PID; do echo -1000 > /proc/$PID/oom_score_adj; done

pgrep -f "/usr/local/sbin/smbd" | while read PID; do echo -1000 > /proc/$PID/oom_score_adj; done

====================

The system used to run for few days before I had to reboot due tho this issue, the last reboot lasted less than couple of days before this message occured.

I am running the v5rc8 unraid on Intel Q6600 with 4GB of ram. Extensively used plugins are slimserver, SABnzbd and utserver. Installed couchpotato but haven't configured yet.

Added the following code following the discussion before my previous reboot. Looks like it did not help.

====================

====================

As cofin mentioned, "/usr/local/sbin/smbd" is incorrect and the correct location is "/usr/sbin/smbd".

====================

====================

As cofin mentioned, "/usr/local/sbin/smbd" is incorrect and the correct location is "/usr/sbin/smbd".

Or remove the path statement and it always works:

pgrep -f "smbd"

I tried both ways, using the path and just using the exec as suggested by  dgaschk and Hemonder. The system runs for a day and then I get the 'Transport endpoint not connected' error.

It is frustrating to see an unstable system. Any further thoughts for this?

Here are the last few lines from the log just before it crashed ..

======

Dec 18 04:31:34 Tower logger: .d..t...... WORK/

Dec 18 04:31:34 Tower logger: skipping temp/

Dec 18 04:31:34 Tower logger: skipping utserver/

Dec 18 04:31:34 Tower logger: mover finished

Dec 18 05:02:01 Tower kernel: mdcmd (102): spindown 2

Dec 18 05:02:14 Tower kernel: mdcmd (103): spindown 0

Dec 18 05:03:15 Tower kernel: mdcmd (104): spindown 3

Dec 18 05:03:17 Tower kernel: mdcmd (105): spindown 4

Dec 18 05:03:18 Tower kernel: mdcmd (106): spindown 5

Dec 18 05:03:19 Tower kernel: mdcmd (107): spindown 6

Dec 18 05:03:59 Tower kernel: mdcmd (108): spindown 1

Dec 18 06:47:03 Tower sSMTP[21473]: Creating SSL connection to host

Dec 18 06:47:03 Tower sSMTP[21473]: SSL connection using RC4-SHA

Dec 18 06:47:07 Tower sSMTP[21473]: Sent mail for root@[email protected] (221 2.0.0 closing connection di16sm1310564vdb.11) uid=0 username=root outbytes=743

Dec 18 07:19:45 Tower in.telnetd[22401]: connect from 10.10.1.110 (10.10.1.110)

Dec 18 07:19:49 Tower login[22404]: ROOT LOGIN  on '/dev/pts/0' from 'yyyy'

Dec 18 08:07:33 Tower emhttp: get_filesystem_status: statfs: /mnt/user/Downloads Transport endpoint is not connected

===============

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates on this?

I'm getting a lot of these "Transport endpoint not connected" errors in my logs and my user shares then lock out - permission denied, but still visible.  (Disk shares are unaffected, web interface unaffected).  Running CrashPlan and Unmenu, not really anything else.  (Using Unmenu to stop/restart samba doesn't help).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Russell

I also just started getting this "Transport endpoint is not connected" error. And I just started using CrashPlan on my UnRAID box the other day.

Going to try adding those lines to my go script to see if that helps.

In the meantime, is there a way to get the user shares working again with a terminal command or something? I'm already in the middle of a parity check from the last time I lost connectivity and had to restart the box, and I'd like to let it finish.

Any updates on this?

I'm getting a lot of these "Transport endpoint not connected" errors in my logs and my user shares then lock out - permission denied, but still visible.  (Disk shares are unaffected, web interface unaffected).  Running CrashPlan and Unmenu, not really anything else.  (Using Unmenu to stop/restart samba doesn't help).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Russell

There is not really an update needed... Situation is clear (system runs out of memory).

Solution is clear: run less plugins

Workaround is also clear: set oom_score paramters

To know if this pertains to you check if your syslog shows OOM events.

I also just started getting this "Transport endpoint is not connected" error. And I just started using CrashPlan on my UnRAID box the other day.

Going to try adding those lines to my go script to see if that helps.

In the meantime, is there a way to get the user shares working again with a terminal command or something? I'm already in the middle of a parity check from the last time I lost connectivity and had to restart the box, and I'd like to let it finish.

Good question... You would need to restart smbd... No idea if that will work...

Thanks Tom,

I hope that's it...  Helmonder, my total plugin count: UnMenu, CrashPlan (which I guess loads SSH, but not sure), and PowerDown.  I'm a pretty plugin free guy.  :-)

Both my UnRaids are crashing like this - and both are 100% Lime-Tech Spec (the physical boxes they sell, except maybe different cases - I can't remember that part).

Thanks,

Russell

Situation is clear (system runs out of memory).

Solution is clear: run less plugins

Workaround is also clear: set oom_score paramters

To know if this pertains to you check if your syslog shows OOM events.

After the latest incident of my user shares ceasing to function, upon checking my syslog, there were no OOM events, or errors of any kind. The user shares just stopped working.

"Jan 14 21:54:21 Biggie unmenu[15844]: df: `/mnt/user': Transport endpoint is not connected" is what shows up if I try to access /mnt/user from the terminal

However, I did just discover something curious. From the terminal, I noticed there is a /mnt/user0 directory, and all of my user shares show up there, and seem to be working just fine. Hopefully that bit of information can be useful somehow.

...I noticed there is a /mnt/user0 directory, and all of my user shares show up there, and seem to be working just fine...

When things are working normally you will have a /mnt/user0 directory also.

/mnt/user is the user shares including any files that are still on the cache drive.

/mnt/user0 is the user shares excluding any files that are still on the cache drive.

• 1 month later...

recently i was getting a lot of weird behavior and thought it was my plugins. i concluded it wasnt and just did a clean install of unraid. all was going fine until yesterday when i started getting these "transport endpoint" errors. webui was accessible but my shares were not, though they appeared to be mounted. i restarted safely and it only got worse. now the webui wont start and the flash is the only drive that will mount. i even put in another 4gb of ram (total of 12) and it is still acting up. i do have a number of plugins but 12gb (or even 8gb) out to be enough. i see no OOM errors in the log anyway. i tried the fix on the first page and it might have worked. maybe just a coincidence. it was late and i havent had time to check into it. i really hope this issue gets fixed because it completely renders my system, and everything that relies on it, unusable.

This means it is not an oom event.

The user0 is supposed to be there.

I have the same issue, with UnRAID 5.0-rc8a. No OOM error messages in my logs at all.

Syslog:

Mar  5 16:11:23 Unraid shfs/user: duplicate object: /mnt/disk5/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Ministry/Early Trax/._08 He's Angry.m4a
Mar  5 16:11:23 Unraid shfs/user: duplicate object: /mnt/disk5/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Ministry/Early Trax/._03 All Day.m4a
Mar  5 16:11:23 Unraid shfs/user: duplicate object: /mnt/disk5/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Ministry/Early Trax/04 All Day Remix.mp3
Mar  5 16:11:23 Unraid shfs/user: duplicate object: /mnt/disk5/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Ministry/Early Trax/._09 Move (Original Mix).m4a
Mar  5 16:11:23 Unraid shfs/user: duplicate object: /mnt/disk5/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Ministry/Early Trax/09 Move (Original Mix).mp3
Mar  5 16:11:23 Unraid shfs/user: duplicate object: /mnt/disk5/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Ministry/Early Trax/._02 Halloween (Remix).m4a
Mar  5 16:11:23 Unraid shfs/user: duplicate object: /mnt/disk5/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Ministry/Early Trax/10 I'm Falling.mp3
Mar  5 16:15:06 Unraid sshd[12166]: Accepted password for root from 172.16.0.13 port 56009 ssh2
Mar  5 16:15:15 Unraid sshd[12181]: Accepted password for root from 172.16.0.13 port 56017 ssh2
Mar  5 16:15:15 Unraid sshd[12185]: lastlog_openseek: Couldn't stat /var/log/lastlog: No such file or directory
Mar  5 16:15:15 Unraid sshd[12185]: lastlog_openseek: Couldn't stat /var/log/lastlog: No such file or directory
Mar  5 16:24:32 Unraid sshd[12166]: Received disconnect from 172.16.0.13: 11: disconnected by user
Mar  5 16:29:01 Unraid crond[1216]: failed parsing crontab for user root: cron="" 
Mar  5 16:47:01 Unraid sudo:     root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/root ; USER=nobody ; COMMAND=/usr/local/bin/plex.sh
Mar  5 17:23:48 Unraid kernel: mdcmd (54): spindown 0
Mar  5 17:23:50 Unraid kernel: mdcmd (55): spindown 3
Mar  5 17:23:51 Unraid kernel: mdcmd (56): spindown 5
Mar  5 17:28:01 Unraid crond[1216]: failed parsing crontab for user root: cron="" 

I know that the shares were lost between 16:11 and 17:28, as I was running an rsync job on my Mac at this time and it failed while transferring data to UnRAID.

Rsync client log:

Music/The Prodigy/Music For The Jilted Generation/08 Poison.m4a
Music/The Prodigy/Music For The Jilted Generation/10 One Love (Edit).m4a
Music/The Prodigy/Music For The Jilted Generation/13 Ckaustrophobic Sting.m4a
Music/The Prodigy/No Good (Start The Dance) [xls51cd]/
rsync: rename "/mnt/user/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/The Orb/The Dream/.07 Phantom Of Ukraine.m4a.lrdR7q" -> "Music/The Orb/The Dream/07 Phantom Of Ukraine.m4a": Software caused connection abort (103)
Music/The Prodigy/No Good (Start The Dance) [xls51cd]/01 No Good [Edit].m4a
rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "/mnt/user/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/The Prodigy/No Good (Start The Dance) [xls51cd]/02 No Good [bad For You].m4a": Transport endpoint is not connected (107)
rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "/mnt/user/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/The Prodigy/No Good (Start The Dance) [xls51cd]/03 No Good [CJ Bollands Museum Rmx].m4a": Transport endpoint is not connected (107)
rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "/mnt/user/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/The Prodigy/No Good (Start The Dance) [xls51cd]/04 No Good [Original Rmx].m4a": Transport endpoint is not connected (107)

I have managed to cause this issue 3 times now by doing an rsync transfer. Is it possible rsync can be using all the memory and causing processes to quite, but not logging anything in syslog?

The other weird things is that samba still appears to be running:

root@Unraid:~# ps aux | grep smb
root      4539  0.0  0.0  17804  3924 ?        S    08:25   0:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
root      6494  0.0  0.1  17940  4656 ?        S    08:50   0:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
root     14292  0.0  0.0  15808  3820 ?        Ss   Mar03   0:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
root     14297  0.0  0.0  15812  1896 ?        S    Mar03   0:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
root     30756  0.0  0.0   2452   584 pts/0    R+   18:42   0:00 grep smb

It seems to be suggested in this thread that samba is responsible for mounting the /mnt/user/share endpoint. Does anyone know any more about this? how it is configured, how to check, restart etc?

Thanks,

Chris

I know that the shares were lost between 16:11 and 17:28, as I was running an rsync job on my Mac at this time and it failed while transferring data to UnRAID.

I have managed to cause this issue 3 times now by doing an rsync transfer. Is it possible rsync can be using all the memory and causing processes to quite, but not logging anything in syslog?

Your using AFP right, and rysnc and/or mover. The X (extended) attribute is the culprit (should not be) and thus drops your 'user0'

Read these two posts:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26085.0

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25689.0

another thing i noticed with my box is that i never seem to see this happen during normal operation but only during an initial startup. i have never noticed unraid running fine for any amount of time and then this issue suddenly happens. this issue only seems to occur when i first turn the system on. could be coincidence.