USB to memory card adaptor - GUID fixed or dynamic - collecting models/options

NAS

I have a Kingston Mobilelite G2, Mobilelite G3 and Mobilelite G4. 

Of the three, only the G2 works and is my currently registered flash device with a unique GUID.

The G3 shows up in the BIOS as a Generic USB 3.0 device (The G2 shows up as a Kingston Reader with both slots available to boot - only boots from SD slot), the G3 will not boot at all with my motherboard, so, I do not know if it has a unique GUID.

The G4 also shows up as a Generic USB 3.0 device, boots fine from the microSD slot, but does not have a unique GUID and is, therefore, not able to be registered.

It is a pity that a good compact flash reader cannot be found (other than the unavailable G2) as it is very, very useful when playing around with configurations and troubleshooting to just pop in a different SD/micro SD card in the G2 reader without having to do all the copying involved with changing configs on a "fixed" flash drive.

I can't image Tom will quit supporting the G2. I suppose his statement to not use a card reader has to do with extreme difficulty in finding one that meets the boot/registration requirements.

EDIT: Re: Kingston Mobilelite G3, I am an idiot (a fact established long ago).  Running make_bootable actually does what it says it does, it makes the flash drive bootable! The Kingston Mobilelite G3 purchased just a few days ago in Mexico does in fact boot UnRAID from the SD card slot and it had a unique GUID which is now registered.

I use a Kingston FCR-HS3 successfully. The serial no of the thing can be found in the GUID.

Dan

I just had success with the same reader (I bought it a couple years ago).  Was able to remove a USB thumb drive, and activate this via unRAID's new guid process.  This also allowed ESXi 6 to use the media without any reset messages.

Thanks again Dan!

I use a Kingston FCR-HS3 successfully. The serial no of the thing can be found in the GUID.

Dan

I just had success with the same reader (I bought it a couple years ago).  Was able to remove a USB thumb drive, and activate this via unRAID's new guid process.  This also allowed ESXi 6 to use the media without any reset messages.

Thanks again Dan!

Thanks for the heads up.  Perhaps I'll jump aboard and get one of these as well.

Although I've been going with the 64GB Sandisk Ultrafits these days.  It's mostly due to size.  Since I can replace it online without having to wait for someone, this eases my concerns a bit.  I still think that dual keys one for licensing one for booting with configuration content is a good solution.  The response received from this idea was that it would be a support burden.

WARNING: Rakuten is an online vendor that has severe credit card fraud happening for over 2 years now. They have not done a thing to solve their issues and each and every month people over at slickdeals forums report experiencing fraudulent charges after using their credit card only at Rakuten. Using VisaMe /Vpass / MasterCardCheckout or even PayPall has not prevented fraudulent charges from happening. There is no safe way to shop there. Search the slickdeals forums for the horrible nasty truth of the matter.

FWIW, I bought one from amazon and Tom said it was not unique.

If anyone buys one please post the outcome of your licensing. This is a perfectly sized model as a good licensing mechanism.

FWIW, I bought one from amazon and Tom said it was not unique.

If anyone buys one please post the outcome of your licensing. This is a perfectly sized model as a good licensing mechanism.

Do not have one myself just posted an alternate link.  I have 4 of the Kingston G2's licensed.  Was hoping this would be a good AVAILABLE substitute but guess not.
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
66.7% feedback is... oof.
Its also like 2-3x the cost of a decent usb stick shipping included for me =/
Yeah that was just the first match on eBay, if your patient in sure they will come up for sale, saved search with notification perhaps?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...