Music on unraid, using ipad + receiver

Ok, what i want to do is this

I have all my music on unraid (albums and compilations)

I have a yamaha 4065 receiver

Currently i browse my music collection with nice albumcovers and stuff through xbmc on htpc connected to the receiver

I want to limit the use of devices

So, i should be able to use only unraid server and the yamaha receiver..

I want to view all albums/artists fanarts on my ipad, click it there and let it play from my unraid server to the receiver...

Is this possible? What do i need?

Is airplay the way to go?

Not really as the unraid server is networked storage, whereas xbmc is a player, you would need to install a player on unraid, and then attach your unraid server directly to the receiver.

A possible work around if it's only for music might be a separate android box instead of running a full fat htpc

Yes you need some type of player. So for my setup I have the following -

1) logitech server running on unraid

2) all music on unraid server

3) I have squeezeplay(Free) installed on my HTPC that connects to my receiver

4) I have Logitech squeezebox controller on my android device to control my music

I don't need my TV on to play music so this is why I went this route.

So basically what you mentioned in your first post but I am not using xbmc....you need something as your source(player).

Another option is installing foobar(free) on your htpc, scan your unraid music folder, control it from an app.

One other option is jriver meida player but it isn't free but alot of people like it...it would get installed on your htpc as well. There are nice apps for it as well.

I like squeezeplay for pandora but you have to have a paid pandora account for it to work.

Mm so i cant let my ipad play it on receiver using airplay?

I went ahead and registered at yamaha just so I could read your receiver's manual.

On page 53 of the English pdf it mentions playing from a NAS with DLNA. There is a DLNA package for unRAID. You won't get the iTunes user interface this way, but it should work.

On page 58 of the English pdf it shows that you can play music from an iPad with iOS 4.3.3 or later if it is connected to the same router as your receiver.

So, if you can work out how to play music on your iPad from your unRAID then you probably can play it on the receiver using the iPad as the player.

Jup i found 2 ways to do it

1) use logitech squeezebox server on unraid, use ipeng(already have this) app, puchase the builtin app ipeng player, use my ipad with peng to play music, and activate airplay to send to receiver...

2) use subsonic server on unraid, purchase isub app for ipad , and let it play music.. Then activate airplay to send to receiver...

I went with option 1 and purchased it for 4 euro

It rocks!

I get all abum art and stuff on ipad.. And let it play...

This way only my unraid server and receiver are on without the need for tv and/or htpc

Thx anyway

• 8 years later...
58 minutes ago, Whatsinaname said:

I use shiomax/jrivermc25 with an app called Gizmo on my Android phone.

The app pushes the track then to my Marantz amp. Most tracks are stored as flac on the share and converted to wav on the fly. Sounds great!

This is a 9 year old thread, please pay attention to dates before bumping old threads.