Dropbox Plugin for unRAID 5b11+ (updated)

If you want a version of the dropbox plugin for unraid v5 go to post #232 of this thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=23287.msg362397#msg362397

or v6, visit post #233 of this thread;

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=23287.msg362446#msg362446

Updated - 27th April 2013

I have re-written the Dropbox plug-in to align it with others I maintain.  Ongoing development will be done via GitHub.  The version of the plugin on my GitHub has been upgraded to allow in-plugin updates of the application and the plugin itself.  There is an option to choose Experimental Dropbox builds instead of Stable.  Use experimental at your own risk.

Other changes are more subtle and are generally fixes or enhancements to the way the plugin handles Dropbox.  The main two changes are to try and resolve any remaining permissions issues that some users find and also to try and fix an issue where occasionally recursive symlinks are created.  The latter I have not found the root cause of.

Please head over to my GitHub page for the plug-in.  I have provided full instructions and a detailed explanation of the plug-in on GitHub.

Here are the relevant links:

Direct link to the plugin: https://github.com/overbyrn/UnRAID/raw/master/dropbox_overbyrn.plg

Full installation instructions on my main GitHub page https://github.com/overbyrn/UnRAID

Regards,

overbyrn

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am using dropbox/sickbeard to pull NZB files from sickbeard to a shared dropbox folder.

sickbeard is putting the files into the correct folder, but dropbox is not uploading/syncing them.  dropbox will pull down files and see they are deleted from that folder if I put them in there from another computer

I am at a loss as to why they are not being sync'd OUT of that folder....

Any ideas?  they are being put into the folder as "-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody users" which looks ok....

thanks

Myk

I removed the old version and installed the new one.  When I try to start the service it says "Status:  Can't establish secure connection".  I realized I also never got the url to link it to my dropbox account, which might be the problem.  Any advice?  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed this and the dropbox settings page always says "status: connecting..."

I've verified that my unraid is now linked to my dropbox account as I got the email, and I also see the linked computer in my dropbox settings on the dropbox site. I pointed the dropbox database folder to: /mnt/cache/.dropbox_db and pointed the actual dropbox folder to the root folder of my main share.

I add content into the new dropbox folder and don't see any syncing going on.

Any thoughts?

I pointed the dropbox database folder to: /mnt/cache/.dropbox_db and pointed the actual dropbox folder to the root folder of my main share.

The "root" folder? 

What exactly is your "Dropbox Data Directory" as it shows in the plugin gui page? 

I pointed the dropbox database folder to: /mnt/cache/.dropbox_db and pointed the actual dropbox folder to the root folder of my main share.

The "root" folder? 

What exactly is your "Dropbox Data Directory" as it shows in the plugin gui page?

Hello again.  :)

As seen in my dropbox unraid gui settings:

Dropbox Database Directory:/mnt/cache/.dropbox_db

Dropbox Data Directory:/mnt/user/unraid/Dropbox

When I said "root", I meant the top level folder of my main unraid share named very imaginatively "unraid".

• 4 weeks later...

I've installed this new plugin, and everything goes well (no errors or anything). I can see the dropbox link under Settings on the unRAID web GUI just fine. Under configuration, I have the database set to /mnt/cache/.dropbox and the data set to /mnt cache/Dropbox. I enabled the drobox service, and I got two notifications: "starting dropbox service..." and "...OK." However, I do not get the URL to link it to my dropbox account. Everything appears to be working, except for actually linking it to my account. Any ideas?

I've restarted multiple times. There is a "status" section with a lightbulb icon that I assume lights up when everything is running, but it's not lit up. I change the Enable Dropbox Service from Yes to No, hit apply, and it tells me the service stops. I change back from No to Yes and apply, and it tells me the service starts back up, but still no link.

Capture.PNG.7f29b445f9210869cf9aa952fc3d6a73.PNG

... I got two notifications: "starting dropbox service..." and "...OK." However, I do not get the URL to link it to my dropbox account. Everything appears to be working, except for actually linking it to my account. Any ideas?

Strange.  After starting the status line should read: " Status:  Waiting to be linked to an account...  [Click to open link in new page]"

If you're happy at command line stuff, you could try this;

/etc/rc.d/rc.dropbox status

You'll get something back to indicate whether the dropbox daemon is running.

Assuming you get a reply back that says "Waiting to be linked to an account..."

try issuing the following command;

sudo -u nobody HOME=/usr/local/dropbox /usr/local/sbin/dropbox.py start

It should present you with a copy of the URL you need to visit.

However, if the status line isn't showing anything at all, then I'm doubtful it's a simple as that as it will ALWAYS say something, including "Dropbox isn't running!" when the dropbox daemon itself isn't running.  The fact you don't see any message confuses me and makes me wonder if it installed correctly.

Try the above and feedback your results.

Regards,

overbyrn

It appears it did not install correctly. It returned:

sudo: unable to execute /user/local/sbin/dropbox.py: No such file or directory

It seems I need to delete everything and reinstall the plugin. I'm not familiar enough with linux to know what all I need to delete vs what I could leave behind. I think I need to delete /boot/config/plugins/dropbox directory, but not sure what else.

Hmm.  Odd.  I see no immediate reason why the application binaries didn't install as they should. 

To give you some background so that you have an idea what's happening and maybe help troubleshoot;

Upon running the plugin, it downloads two files from dropbox web site: dropbox.py & dropbox.tgz.  These are stored locally at /flash/config/plugins/dropbox.  During plugin install, it copies dropbox.py to /usr/local/sbin and extracts the contents of the other file to /usr/local/dropbox.  This sets up the main dropbox application files.  Those parts of dropbox that are never changed and generic to every install.

Then you get the opportunity via the unRAID webgui dropbox settings page to select where it'll store your database and files.

So to remove and start over...

From a PC, browse to and remove the two dropbox directories you selected to hold the data and database.  eg. /mnt/cache/.dropbox & /mnt/cache/Dropbox. 

Also, browse to your plugins directory on your flash drive, eg. /flash/config/plugins and delete (or rename) the dropbox directory you find there. 

After this, a reboot will clear all remaining installed files.  When the plugin re-runs, it'll download and install the dropbox application as described above.

OK, I removed files as you specified, rebooted my server, and saw that everything is reinstalled. I double checked the /flash/config/plugins/dropbox, /usr/local/sbin and /usr/local/dropbox locations, and saw all the files you mentioned. Everything was there as described.

I ran

/etc/rc.d/rc.dropbox status

and it returned the same thing as before: No such file or directory. I browsed to /usr/local/sbin/ and verified that there is indeed a dropbox.py file (screenshot attached)

Capture.PNG.dfdda4229129ca886864fbd0ff37e6e2.PNG

Are you running any other plugins?

The only thing I can think of is that it's having trouble executing dropbox.py file and in that case perhaps there's something odd with the version or installation of python on your system.

python --version

from command line should tell you the version of python installed.  For me, I get "Python 2.6.6" as a message back.  The dropbox plugin downloads & installs python 2.6.6.  It stores the downloaded copy on your flash drive as /boot/packages/python-2.6.6-i486-1.txz.  Check to see if it's present.  Perhaps also remove this as well as the other files mentioned in my earlier post and try once more to reinstall.  FWIW, I've just performed a fresh install onto a DEV unraid using the plugin in the first post and it's installed ok and I'm able to run dropbox status command without issue.

Keep at it, as it must be something fairly basic which is preventing the plugin from doing it's job.

It is now up and running! Apparently something (either this dropbox plg or another plugin) had downloaded a bad copy of python-2.6.6.i486-1.txz. I deleted all the files you mentioned in your previous post along with the python package and rebooted the server. Once it came back up, your plugin downloaded dropbox and python and everything installed correctly. Thank you very much for your troubleshooting help! Great job on the plugin  :)

I just downloaded and installed this without a hitch.  Account has been linked and it's working.

Thank you.

The only thing I had to do was permission the dropbox folder so I could access it from windows (added all group rights) and for cosmetic reasons I changed the db directory to shared (hidden) so it doesn't come on on any share listing.

with this plugin, my unraid system won't stop the array correctly.

i have to login via telnet and kill the dropbox process

nobody   30060  0.0  0.3  92960 29620 ?        Sl   Dec13   3:07 /usr/local/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox /dropboxmissing

after that, unraid can stop the array

(i have my dropbox data directory on the array, my database directory is on the cache drive in a cache only share)

with this plugin, my unraid system won't stop the array correctly.

after that, unraid can stop the array

(i have my dropbox data directory on the array, my database directory is on the cache drive in a cache only share)

Benni, I'll try to recreate tomorrow using the same conditions as you specify above.  I'd do it now, but in our house Christmas has officially begun, the last present has been bought and now it's time for nibbles, beer and Bad Santa.