Lots of Drives coming in from array

shat

Last week we replaced 2 netapp platforms and two giant arrays.

In all we have:

196 2TB  7.2k

388 1TB  7.2k

72 1TB 5.9k

150 500gb 5.9k

800 350gb 10k

1200 146gb 15k

We normally wholesale them out to a buyer who buys our old hardware being replaced. But I thought some of you might be interested in some drives. I won't have IO counts available, but it came from a higher education facility and was used mostly for storing and serving VMs to thin clients.

The drives will all get a 7PASS format and any with dead-ness will be warrantied. We also scan the drives for bad sectors etc to warranty if available.

Discount prices. Thinking $40-$50 for 2TB

Just reply with what and how many your interested in. Shipping in US should e whatever the if it fits it ships USPS and they will be properly packed.

Sold a touch over 91,000 drives in 5 years so we got some packaging laying around :)

What are your prices on the 500 GB and smaller drives? I can always use more test drives.

I'm also interested in 5 or possibly more 2 TB drives, and I would be happy to go in on a bulk order with anyone else in the SF Bay Area.

Would you be able to provide SMART reports on any of the drives?

I am not ignoring anyone. Lots of messages and lots of tasks today.

Will get back to everyone.  I am trying to do ~$50-60USD on 2TB tops. And Rolling down from there.

Haven't finished pricing 10k &15k drives yet.

Also have very large drive chassis available :)

I just finished writing down everyones name and the drives requested. Again, I am trying to get down a final price. Waiting on one other individual to help expedite the decision and start all the paperwork on my end.

Typically we have a release form you sign as we sign that indemnifies us from you taking the drive apart, having a clean room and plenty of spare time to try and mount platters and retrieve any of the data, decrypt and find whatever pics of puppies and handbags that you may. It's isn't a large document nor void any rights to you as a consumer. But I'm waiting to hear back from our attorney to determine whether or not everyone will have to sign it. If so, we will use an electronic signature that meets UETA requirements so it is painless for everyone.

I am not sure if I should be surprised at the number of PMs I received today about receiving drives and some of the quantities requested. Not sure how I thought posting hardware at a more than reasonable rate to a bunch of disk hoarders would prove a waste of time.

I sent a canned message to everyone who PM'd me as well as answered any additional quests you asked under the ## end of canned ham ## line. So make sure to read below it so you do not think I've neglected you.

Several individuals asked for model numbers of the drives. This will not be an issue. I will gather the drives' models and any other important info and post it here as soon as I can. It will likely be end of this week or early next week before I have an updated timeline. We are waiting on a wiping unit we use to come back so we can wipe 24 disks at once in ~ 4 hours.

Once I get everything posted I'll launch a quick jQuery app to collect info from everyone so I can calculate shipping and totals for all the drives once I have pricing finalized.

Additionally, if you need anything we are a large partner with HP, Dell, IBM, Microsoft, Cisco, Juniper and numerous other vendors. If you need something let me know I am positive our price is cheaper than you'll find and that's with me padding it with lunch and a soda :)

Most excellent! But don't be surprised

If word gets out and the picnic is suddenly ruined by pigeons and ants from all around... Sounds like a good way to recycle drives tho'

We will squash ants and feed the pigeons crackers while the true raptors get the meat! I hope that made sense.

I have commitments on nearly all the 2TB. Now to finalize the deal on my end.

As all great deals come along the ugly caveat rears its face. The guy I have in-charge of our remarketing department has informed me that we make a larger margin if the drives are sold individually or in bulk as EMC hardware with the EMC part number, including sleds etc.

I have a meeting with him scheduled for tomorrow to determine if we remove the drives and sell them off at a price point mentioned in my initial post of $50.00 and then sell the sleds as their EMC part numbers if we can still have a reasonable profit margin.

Profit is profit to me. However, it is a detail I must pay attention to as I enjoy money, but I am still okay with a smaller profit as I have commitments for all the 2TB drives.

Once I have the individual model numbers of each drive available and the part numbers for all the EMC components I will give another update.

I want to make this happen for everyone, but as I said.. caveat monster. Guess that's why I have someone to handle the majority of this so I don't potentially lose out on money, as I did in the past when we sold off 800TB for $16,000 to find out it was worth ~ $70,000 to a buyer looking for the specific EMC hardware.

More to come. Still writing down commitments. I will let everyone know in the order of requests whether I have enough for you.

Feel free to PM me still.

Thanks -

Still primarily interested in the smaller drives (500 GB or less) to be used as test drives. As my current batch of test drives is starting to show widespread failures, the sooner the better! Of course I'll understand if you have to withdraw the offer in favor of selling through EMC instead, but I hope you don't!

I apologize for the delayed update. I had a round of cortisone on Tuesday and became wildly ill.

I spoke this evening with everyone at the office involved with our remarketing and I will not be able to offer up the 2TB / 1TB drives or some of the smaller 15k drives as they are in EMC sleds/trays/chassis.

However, we will have 10k, 5.9k, 7.2k drives in a variety of sizes available. I can continue to update this post or start a new one at that time. Some of these drives will be available but I am having to back-seat it temporarily while I push a few larger projects forward.

I know we have some SUN hardware coming in soon-ish that has 7.2k rpm 1tb drives and no one ever wants those systems. Everyone is upgrading to ISOLON emc2 lately.

Will continue to update. Go donate to the Red Cross. - doing my part.

Later

Depending on size and price I may be interested in some of the 5.9k drives. If nothing else can use them to pad out my server while waiting on good deals + separate batches. Then they can be retired to the test server.

I'd say continue updating this thread as everyone interested are most likely already subscribed.