Would these parts work well together?

eskro666

nice job ccruzen!!

maybe shoot another vid so we can proove better to ppl that there's no lag!!

it seems this little motherboard rocks!!

what other parts u bought for your server? (case, ram, hdd, ect...)

:D

I'll see if I can take another vid tonight. 

As for this server, right now it's just in a spare Antec Sonata II case. 

Using this Kingston RAM.

As for hard drives right now it's got an old 500 GB Seagate and a 500 GB WD.  I'm syncing parity right now to a 1TB WD.  It's been just under 2 hours and it's at 40%.

My plan is to move over a few 2TB drives from my ESXi rig as I upgrade them to 3TB drives and keep this server for only music/documents.

Planning to move this into a 2U or 3U rackmount case such as the Norco RPC-231 and use this IcyDock 3 in 2 backplane.  Anyone have any other suggestions let me know.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice job ccruzen!!

maybe shoot another vid so we can proove better to ppl that there's no lag!!

it seems this little motherboard rocks!!

what other parts u bought for your server? (case, ram, hdd, ect...)

:D

I'll see if I can take another vid tonight. 

As for this server, right now it's just in a spare Antec Sonata II case. 

Using this Kingston RAM.

As for hard drives right now it's got an old 500 GB Seagate and a 500 GB WD.  I'm syncing parity right now to a 1TB WD.  It's been just under 2 hours and it's at 40%.

My plan is to move over a few 2TB drives from my ESXi rig as I upgrade them to 3TB drives and keep this server for only music/documents.

Planning to move this into a 2U or 3U rackmount case such as the Norco RPC-231 and use this IcyDock 3 in 2 backplane.  Anyone have any other suggestions let me know.

The C60M1-I only supports single channel memory, correct? So no benefit of running 2 DIMMs over 1?

So ccruzen you said it idles at 62c...  and 63.1c while doing something...  are this ok temps for this mobo?  has it got any higher?  ;)  thanx

I remember reading in a few reviews that this tends to run a little hot.  I'd say it's okay since I haven't had any problems at all, then again, I'm really bad about paying attention to temps.

FYI, It's 1/2 way through with a parity check that I started immediately after a parity sync and it's reporting at 62.0 C.

ccruzen, how many case fans u have in there?

It's only got 1 case fan right now but I have the side off at the moment.  Planning to switch some drives around in the near future.

Also, sorry, I wasn't able to get another video last night.  I'll try to get to it tonight.

*edit* - for typos.

Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about this.  Husbandly duties (not the fun kind ;D) have prevented me from getting to it but I'll try to get a new vid done in the next day or two. 

Also, I've changed plans a little bit.  I completely forgot I have a Rosewill RSV-R4000 lying around and am planning to move the Asus C60M1-I into it as soon as I get my Norco SS-400.  Will hopefully get that done this weekend.

Finally got a little extra time, here is a video I just took, looks pretty smooth to me!

Got the Asus C60M1-I installed in the Rosewill RSV-4000 with the Norco SS-400.  Now I just need to install it in my rack and I'll be all set. 

FWIW - the reason I went with the SS-400 even though I plan to only use 3 drives in this server is I'll be using the extra slot as a dedicated preclear.

Full system specs below:

Case: Rosewill RSV-4000

PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX500

Mobo/PCU: [urlhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131843]Asus C60M1-I[/url]

RAM: Kingston 8GB SDRAM DDR3 1066

Drive Cage: Norco SS-400

Hard Drives: 1-1TB WD EACS (parity)

1-500GB WD

1-500GB Seagate

Been running a little over a week with no issues whatsoever.  Also, in the new case with 2 rear case fans, 2 front case fans, and 1 drive cage fans, the highest the temp has gotten is 46C.

ccruzen,

You notice any problems with simultaneous preclears running slow? I finally got my setup and I'm in the preclear phase. Current doing 2 3TB (WD30EZRX) at the same time. From some other threads it appears to be running a little slow. 46+ hours and haven't finished the first cycle.

ccruzen,

You notice any problems with simultaneous preclears running slow? I finally got my setup and I'm in the preclear phase. Current doing 2 3TB (WD30EZRX) at the same time. From some other threads it appears to be running a little slow. 46+ hours and haven't finished the first cycle.

I didn't notice any slowdown.  I precleared 3 drives at one time, two were 500 GB drives, they were done in about 4 hours I think.  One was a 3TB and it took right around 26 hours or so.

This is just with 2TB drives - but I have 8+ 2TB WD Green drives in working condition (EARS & EADS - so little slower than the newer model 3TB drives).  Most precleared in around 24+hrs.  I did return a couple that were taking 35-40hrs but showed no evidence of other problems.  The smart reports were OK.  I know it wasn't because of 5RC8a as I'm not using that yet - 5RC4.  I have a computer that I use as a preclear station when not used with windows os for ripping DVDs.  That is where all of the WD Green drives were cleared so I knew it wasn't because of too many drives at a time or the version of unRAID - max of 2 drives and 2GB mem.  You might try a single preclear cycle on another box where you clear a single drive - do you have similar problems with speed?  If so it just might be the drive and you could RMA to WD because of slow response - one of the options the last time I had to RMA directly to WD.

I didn't notice any slowdown.  I precleared 3 drives at one time, two were 500 GB drives, they were done in about 4 hours I think.  One was a 3TB and it took right around 26 hours or so.

What model 3TB drive? And what version of unRAID?

This is just with 2TB drives - but I have 8+ 2TB WD Green drives in working condition (EARS & EADS - so little slower than the newer model 3TB drives).  Most precleared in around 24+hrs.  I did return a couple that were taking 35-40hrs but showed no evidence of other problems.  The smart reports were OK.  I know it wasn't because of 5RC8a as I'm not using that yet - 5RC4.  I have a computer that I use as a preclear station when not used with windows os for ripping DVDs.  That is where all of the WD Green drives were cleared so I knew it wasn't because of too many drives at a time or the version of unRAID - max of 2 drives and 2GB mem.  You might try a single preclear cycle on another box where you clear a single drive - do you have similar problems with speed?  If so it just might be the drive and you could RMA to WD because of slow response - one of the options the last time I had to RMA directly to WD.

Unfortunately I don't have any other boxes to test on. The preclears finally finished @ around 46-48h each. The problem seems to be the Post-Read phase of the preclear. I'm preclearing a single drive now and console shows 112 MB/s but unMENU shows 33 MB/s. I'll have to wait until it finishes to see the final time. As for RMA I'm now worried since I ordered from Amazon.

Doesn't appear to be an issue with the Asus C60M1-I per ccruzen. But I'm just not sure how to figure out what the issue is. Anyway, I'll post in the other threads about WD30EZRX's and preclearing so I don't muck this thread anymore.

ccruzen,

What kind of read/write speeds are you getting with the C60M1-I ?

What kind of read/write speeds are you getting with the C60M1-I ?

3 cycle preclear on one drive

========================================================================1.13
== invoked as: /boot/preclear_disk.sh -c 3 /dev/sdd
==  WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0    WD-WCAWZ2350602
== Disk /dev/sdd has been successfully precleared
== with a starting sector of 1 
== Ran 3 cycles
==
== Using :Read block size = 8225280 Bytes
== Last Cycle's Pre Read Time  : 9:19:38 (89 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Zeroing time   : 8:39:37 (96 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Post Read Time : 28:37:00 (29 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Total Time     : 37:17:39
==
== Total Elapsed Time 123:17:21

Parity sync @ 8h40m

Nov 24 21:10:54 nas kernel: mdcmd (17): check NOCORRECT
Nov 24 21:10:54 nas kernel: md: recovery thread woken up ...
Nov 24 21:10:54 nas kernel: md: recovery thread syncing parity disk ...
Nov 24 21:10:54 nas kernel: md: using 1536k window, over a total of 2930266532 blocks.
Nov 25 05:53:01 nas kernel: md: sync done. time=31327sec

Userscripts -> Disk Speed Test (sdd is parity drive and a Parity-Check is running)

/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads:   1500 MB in  2.00 seconds = 750.06 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 112 MB in  3.13 seconds =  35.74 MB/sec

/dev/sdb:
Timing cached reads:   1446 MB in  2.00 seconds = 723.40 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 116 MB in  3.00 seconds =  38.63 MB/sec

/dev/sdd:
Timing cached reads:   1494 MB in  2.00 seconds = 746.82 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:  50 MB in  3.15 seconds =  15.88 MB/sec

Copy from htpc box to unRAID user share mounted via NFS and this is over gigabit connection. Parity on and Parity-Check is running. Not sure how much a Parity-Check affects write speed.

$ rsync Batman.The.Brave.and.the.Bold.S02E01.720p.WEB-DL.AAC2.0.AVC-TCW.mkv /media/TV\ Shows/
sending incremental file list
Batman.The.Brave.and.the.Bold.S02E01.720p.WEB-DL.AAC2.0.AVC-TCW.mkv
     733.41M 100%   10.21MB/s    0:01:08 (xfer#1, to-check=0/1)

sent 733.50M bytes  received 31 bytes  10.26M bytes/sec
total size is 733.41M  speedup is 1.00

Let me know if you want me to run any other commands.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I´m the new one here :)

As I´m also going to build a NAS using the  ASUS C60M1-I and 3-4 HDDs. So I´m following your threads very closely. But one question comes to my mind: You all are using PSU´s with 360-500W. But according to 24-36W used for spinning-up an HDD wouldn´t be something like a 250W PSU sufficient(=more efficient) for a  ASUS C60M1-I with 4-6 HDD´s ?? Maybe even less with staggered spin-up ? (As during usual usage the power-needs of current eco-drives are stated with ~6W, so most 400W PSU´s aren´t running in a very efficient power-range).

I´m just thinking if it I shouldn´t aim for a 200-250W TFX PSU when going only for green eco-drives. Or am I missing something here ?

Cheers,