Cheap Marvell-based (88SE9230) 4-port SATA3 PCIe 4x Controller

Damnit, so some bad news (good for you guys).  The Z77 motherboard with unRaid 5 rc8a loads up the Syba card fine at PCIe 2.0 with 2 lanes.  I guess my Gigabyte Z68 board can't run 2 lanes on any slots.  I tried running a brand new install with no cards other than the Syba (and in the three compatible slots), and it's still only able to connect with 1 lane.

Thanks for your efforts; sorry for your "loss".

(Though, as you determined earlier, you can still put any 3 of your (current) non-SSD drives on the (Z68/)9230 without penalty (and, hence, remove one of the 3132s); and you can configure one/both of the Syba's eSATAs for out-of-case expansion, etc.)

[Another example that Murphy is a bevious dastard.]

Thanks for your efforts; sorry for your "loss".

(Though, as you determined earlier, you can still put any 3 of your (current) non-SSD drives on the (Z68/)9230 without penalty (and, hence, remove one of the 3132s); and you can configure one/both of the Syba's eSATAs for out-of-case expansion, etc.)

[Another example that Murphy is a bevious dastard.]

Yea that's my setup now:

• Motherboard 2x SATA3: parity and SSD cache (to be installed)
  • Motherboard 4x SATA2: all populated with a variety of 2TB drives
  • Rosewill 4x SATA2: all populated with a variety of 1TB drives
  • Syba 4x SATA3: three populated: 2x 750GB, 1x 500GB
  • Monoprice SIL3132's: each card with 1x 500GB each

It's the 500GB drives that are in the sub 100MB/s range... especially the Hitachi drive which only gets 70-80MB/s reads.  The next step of capacity expansion will be to swap out the 500GB drives with 2-3TB drives in the future (but I'll do it when I need more space).

It's shitty in that if I knew that this was what I would get, I would have gotten the SATA3 SuperMicro PCIe 2.0 8x card for a bit more.  Then I wouldn't use the Monoprice cards either.

• 2 months later...