[SOLVED] Unable to build parity

Hey all,

Long time user and lurker here.  I have had several unraid builds, and I finally decided to build a monster server with Norco 24 bay chassis.  It is stacked out with 3TB drives and with the exception of parity, is functioning perfectly.  I am on 5.0 rc8a, and I have tried multiple 3tb drives (I originally thought one of the 24 drives I purchased was bad) and I get the exact same number of errors (384) when attempting to sync to the parity disc.

I've never had these types of issues in the past, so I'm a bit stumped on how to resolve.  I am handy with the command line and use linux on a daily basis, so hopefully I'll be able to follow any suggestions.

I've attached my syslog file, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I reseated all SAS cables and swapped one of the SAS2LP cards into a free PCIX slot. Rebuilt parity in maintenance mode and it failed again at same spot.  I've attached the output of the SMART report for the drive.

EDIT: After disabling the PCI-E option ROMS and the drive spindowns, I was able to successfully sync parity.  Hopefully this has resolved my isses.

syslog.zip

smartreport.txt

Sure thing, here are the current specs:

I3 2100

Supermicro MBD-X9SCM-F-O

4 x KVR1333D3E9S/4G RAM

3 x AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

Corsair 750AX PSU

24 x Western Digital WD30EZRX

Norco RPC-4224 Chassis

All temps in the chassis are within normal range and all other drives appear to function normally.

Just to give an update on this:

I disabled all option ROMs on PCI-X cards in the BIOS.  Disabled all disk spindowns in unraid.  And attempted parity build again.  I've gotten further than ever, and it's been running for about 15 hours.  If it all goes well, it should complete successfully in ~80 minutes.

• 1 month later...

I believe I am having the same issue as you.  I can read, write, and rebuild drives no problem, but on parity sync (maintenance mode or not), one of the (random?) disks on my AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 disconnects and red-balls.  The server loses connection to the drive, I have to reboot for the server to see the disc again, then I can rebuild it.

I assume the option to disable PCI-E optional ROMs in somewhere in my motherboard BIOS?

Can you confirm which firmware version your AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 is running?  Have you ever upgraded it?

Thank you!

The option ROM is a setting in the motherboard BIOS.  Depending on what mobo you have, it could be in different places.  Just poke around and see if you see something like that.  I don't think that it will make a huge difference though.

You might want to try setting this at the shell and see if it makes a difference:

sysctl vm.highmem_is_dirtyable=1

This made an impact in my performance.

Finally found the problem, my supermicro controller didn't like the PCI-E slot it was in.  As soon as I switched it, parity check has completed successfully 3 times in a row now.

My replacement supermicro arrived, so I am now testing that controller in the PCI-E slot to see if it was just a problem with that particular controller in that slot, or if the slot is bad and I need to RMA the motherboard.  So far 60% complete a parity check completed without a dropped disk.