2tb or 3tb drives?

korith

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the 3tb drives that are out? Lately there has been deals on 3tb drives for around $120. And 2 tb drives have been down to $80 a few times lately. Comparing costs, cost per tb seems about the same, a worthwhile jump? Anyone starting to phase out their 2tb for 3tb or perhaps 4tb drives? Only upside I can think of with the 2tb drives is the older ones I have had 5 year warranty which can't be found these days on the larger drives which have 1 or 2 years at best.

For a while had been holding off on buying drives but from reading online doesn't look like we'll get anywhere near pre-flood prices for a long while. Ended up buying 2 3tb drives recently.

I don't plan on phasing out my 2TB drives unless I am near hitting the drive limit and I'm no where near that now. Have only been buying 3TBs lately though. Won't pick up a 4TB until the price per TB comes in line with the 2 and 3TB drives. At $250+ right now, they've got a ways to go.

I'm confronted with the same decision, however my bigger question is associated with upgrading my UnRaid software (currently at 4.7)  to be able to support the larger drives.    In my case, the decision on the which drive to get is simple - the 3TB then as otherwise my next HDD purchase is going to result in the replacement of a smaller existing drive as I've reached my 12 drive case limit.

Have you upgraded to a 5.X release?  If so, which one?  Is their a consensus as to which build/version can be trusted?  I'll be the first to admit that if it wasn't for the help of some of the guys in the forums here, I would have never got my server setup in the first place, so I am always hesitant to not risk breaking what's working. 

I suspect Black Friday will bring some further discounts on the 3TB drives, so being so close, I am going to wait and see before ordering my next drive(s).

Have you upgraded to a 5.X release?  If so, which one?  Is their a consensus as to which build/version can be trusted?  I'll be the first to admit that if it wasn't for the help of some of the guys in the forums here, I would have never got my server setup in the first place, so I am always hesitant to not risk breaking what's working. 

I suspect Black Friday will bring some further discounts on the 3TB drives, so being so close, I am going to wait and see before ordering my next drive(s).

I'm a new user to unraid as well. Using the latest release, have not had any issues with it. Lots of good information here on the forum. Support seems decent here on the forum from other users. Decided to go ahead and use 3tb drives. Should be some good deals to be found on black friday, seen some good deals on 3tb external drives no internals yet. Will be using the existing 2tb drives I have to backup the unraid box.

It's. not that I am new, its actually the opposite.  I've been using UnRaid for multiple years, however I am slow to adopt software updates as I fear losing access to my array if something goes wrong.  I've invested 100's of hours in to it, which I value more than the content.  So, upgrades are done out of necessity only.  I have all 12 drive slots filled, so time to replace the 2 smallest ones (750GB and 1TB). 

So what do you call the "latest" release?  Is that the latest beta or official release? 

I'm on the v5rc8 release, it runs well and is stable with plugins and is running under ESX. Prior to moving to this new system I had 2x servers running this same release.

One caution. I see some permissions issues that are making life a little painful right now. Deleting directories and sometimes files doesn't work. I've noticed others having some issues with this as well, it's a bug in SAMBA I believe and I'm using SMB. There's a way to upgrade SAMBA and I'm going to try that as soon as I find the darned post.

Mind you I was running this awhile on my older hardware without issues that I noticed. I've not lost any data because of it either, it's simply a little bit of a hassle and updating SAMBA may help me. V5 has many pluses to include 3tb support and the plugin architecture. I too have MANY hours invested and I'm comfortable on v5.

I'm moving to them as I upgrade drives. Given a choice I like to keep spindle count as low as possible...

+1!

I already ran out of space in my first server. I've since switched from a Centurion 590 case to a Norco 4224, and have lots of free slots now, but I'm only buying 3 or 4TB drives to avoid having this problem again :).

I say 3TB or 4TB because frankly, 4TB drives are currently still priced insanely high. I bought one when they briefly dropped to $199, but sadly that seems to have been an anomaly, so I guess I'm stuck with 3TBs for now...

:)

I too had multiple servers! One for testing and easy stuff to replace, the other with nothing but BD movies. I now have a single heyuge server on V5 and with an updated Samba is running fine. Even before updating Samba when I had issues I still had access to data - it was deleting folders that had issues and I had to do it via the commas line (shrug)