SOLVED Abit AB9 Pro IDE Cdrom Boot

CrashnBrn

Hey guys,

Just put together my unRAID box. I am using the AB9 Pro and for the life of me cannot get it to boot from an IDE cdrom drive. It boots fine from a sata drive, but when I put an IDE drive in there, I can't see it in the bios. I am guessing that I missed an option somewhere the the bios. The bios is flashed to version 22. I'm hoping that the board is not bad!

Any ideas?

Specs below:

Intel Core 2 E2180

Abit AB9 Pro

4gb G.Skill pc6400

Centurion590

Corsair 525w PSU

5x iStarUSA 5.25 Bays (the same ones WeeboTech has)

2x 1tb

1x 750gb

1x 250gb

Thanks

Problem solved. Thanks!

Not sure this is the answer, but what mode is the JMICRON controller in?

AHCI, IDE, RAID.. Perhaps switch one of those around. (I'm reaching here, but this is what I would check if I were infront of the machine).

At the very least you should see the drive in boot order priority screen.

All of the options that had IDE in it were set to IDE. I'll try switching modes after the diagnostic I'm doing is done. I want to unplug all of the sata and try with just an ide drive and see what happens. It could have been that I was trying to get it working at 3am and was a bit tired :)

I hope that it's not a bad controller.

Thanks for the idea as well as the case and trays WeeboTech, I pretty much copied what you had going :)

I thought I read elsewhere that this was a known issue (unable to use an IDE CDROM drive) with that MB when SATA drives were installed.  Sorry but I don't have the MB and don't exactly remember the issue. Search and you might find something.

I am a little confused, though.  Why are you trying to boot from a CDROM for unRAID.  You should be booting from the USB stick.  Am I missing something?

I thought I read elsewhere that this was a known issue (unable to use an IDE CDROM drive) with that MB when SATA drives were installed.  Sorry but I don't have the MB and don't exactly remember the issue. Search and you might find something.

I am a little confused, though.  Why are you trying to boot from a CDROM for unRAID.  You should be booting from the USB stick.  Am I missing something?

I figured out why I was unable to boot from IDE, for some reason the brand new ASUS IDE able was bad. When I swapped it for an old cable out of an emachine it booted right up. Doh!

I was booting from a cd in order to run a diagnostic to check and make sure that all my components were in working condition. I believe that the issues with the IDE cd drive problem were fixed with the bios 22 update.

Archived