XBMC for Unraid

see tag line for my server specs, but I'm running Plex server and clients.  My clients include popcorn hour, ATV, iphone, ipad.  I'm not happy with the fact that Plex has no parental controls so I'm thinking of trying to install XBMC on my unraid server, and using that client.

Just looking for feedback on....

-Is XBMC easy to setup on unraid and is it reliable?

-Are people who are using ATV2 happy with the XBMC client?

-Do the parental controls work, easy to setup?

-Is there any downside of switching from Plex to XBMC?

-Does anyone have XBMC working on a Popcorn hour a-300?

From what I read, XMBC was born on MAC OS and then Plex was a spinoff of that.  Is there any other options that beat both of these?

I know it's a ton of quesitons, but this is the place to get feedback from unraid server gods!  ;D

From what I read, XMBC was born on MAC OS and then Plex was a spinoff of that.  Is there any other options that beat both of these?

Xbox Media Center was developed to turn the original Xbox in to a capable media center. It has evolved in to the XBMC and is probably the best media center application out there. PMS is an off shoot of XBMC not the other way around. i have PMS installed and I use it sometimes, but I always  go back to XBMC.

Try it out, insall and point it to your media shares see for yourself. Google xbmc parental controls, have fun. XBMC is a client, do server side install needed. You can run Plex and XBMC at the same time without issues.

It is pretty easy to setup. You have to browse to the shares that you wnat to be available on  the client. Simple and quick to do. Idont use the parental controls, so someone else with have to address that. Lots and lots of adons available, many different skins.  Pex has some advantages in  the fact there is zero set up. And play state is consistent on all clients. The biggest advantage is transcoding.

You might want to do some reading here.  http://forum.xbmc.org/

I want to hear from people who installed this on their unraid server and life is good.

You do not install xbmc on Unraid or any server platform. xbmc is standalone. You simplly tell xbmc where the shares are and what kind of content. Movies,TV Shows, Music and it does all the rest.

I want to hear from people who installed this on their unraid server and life is good.

What's to install?  Place all your media files on your unRAID server, in shares.  Install xbmc on your client media boxes, and point them at the shares on unRAID.

I favour the OpenELEC buiild of xbmc, but it runs equally well on other clients - I've set it up on my Ubuntu desktop machine too.

If you have more than one client you may wish to share the xbmc database by installing mySQL on unRAID.  You can also direct the xbmc clients to find all the thumbnails etc on the central server.

I've gone one step further - I have no storage at all on my OpenELEC boxes - they boot over the network from, and hold all their 'local' data on, the unRAID server.

very cool.  I can't wait to try this. 

So the metadata is stored on the local client, unless you install MySQL and point them at the server.  Looks like I need to install that and try it.  If anyone has a good thread or simple instructions to share, that would be cool.

Have any of you running xbmc tried Plex and went back to xbmc?  If yes, why?

Last question - do any of use the parental controls with xbmc to keep your kids from watching R rated movies when you are not home?

Thanks all!

Have any of you running xbmc tried Plex and went back to xbmc?  If yes, why?

I use both PMS and xbmc.

If I want to access my content on my Androd phone its through PMS or share my library with my GF.I think the frame rate and therefore the picture quality is better than PMS. I have found on rare occasions. Download the animated short "Cat Shit One" and watch PMS choke on it. Hundreds of addons, Navi-XIcefilms and many more not available for Plex. UI let you customize it to your liking.

If you like the idea of having centralized metadata and dont want to mess with Mysql.

Just run the Plex addon on xmbc.

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/27270-plexbmc-client-for-xbmc/

Ok, so going back to my first issue, Plex does not have Parental Control. Otherwise, I'm happy with Plex.  Without PC, I have to dump Plex, so I'm looking at XBMC.  I still want to know if you XBMC users use PC and if they work.  I need to prevent my 14 year old son from watching R movies, or my wife will make me remove from our lib.

Is there a mysql install for the current RC8a that does not require UNMENU?  I don't use UNMENU anymore.  I use SimpleFeatures and some other packages.  Can somebody point me in the direction of a thread that tells me how to install mysql as a package (not using unmenu)?

Running plex adddon for xbmc would not resolve my parental control issue, so that won't help.

Install XBMC on your PC and check it out. You do not install XBMC on your unRAID machine unless your into the centeralized Database type of setup. Personally its over kill and it hasn't stopped me from watching any videos on my system.

Store your videos on your unRAID machine and then point your XBMC machine at it and enjoy. I think there are some parental controls, but honestly I'm running an older build and currently my 7 year old and 3 year old can't read to well so I filter what they watch anyways. LOL

2seconds over at xbmc.org

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=111735

• 2 weeks later...

OK,  I just ordered some hardware today to build my first unRAID server.  I'd like to know if I will be able to install XBMC on my unRaid server.  It's my understanding (which I could always be wrong) that with the newest version of XBMC (Frodo currently in beta) you can point any of your other XBMC extenders to a central installation to sync your media vs the setting up a mySQL database mentioned earlier in this thread.  Has anyone tried this?  Also if possible I'd like to be able to use the HDMI out on my new system to play media on my television if possible.

OK,  I just ordered some hardware today to build my first unRAID server.  I'd like to know if I will be able to install XBMC on my unRaid server.  It's my understanding (which I could always be wrong) that with the newest version of XBMC (Frodo currently in beta) you can point any of your other XBMC extenders to a central installation to sync your media vs the setting up a mySQL database mentioned earlier in this thread.  Has anyone tried this?  Also if possible I'd like to be able to use the HDMI out on my new system to play media on my television if possible.

Reread the thread, it's already been stated that you don't install xbmc on unraid.

sent via tapatalk

To have all of your xbmc delints synchronized and sharing the same database. You have to create a mysql database and make some changes to the xbmc software. See this post. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11473.msg109149#msg109149

Plex Media server would be an easy way to accomplish the same goal. Unlike xbmc, you install Plex Media Server on your unraid server and run Plex Media Center on your clients. You have a wide range of clients. Mac, PC, Andoid, IOS .  GoogleTV, LG Smart TVs/Samsung  Roku and a new web client. You can also share your server with others via MyPlex.

http://www.plexapp.com/

Also if possible I'd like to be able to use the HDMI out on my new system to play media on my television if possible.

unraid is console command line or web managed only. There is no way I know of to play media files using the server alone. The entire OS is stored on the USB stick, and unpacked into ram to run. Setting up an x window system isn't feasible.